Robinson Cano? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Robinson Cano?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Tue May 17, 2005 3:22 am

Cano's on my watch list. With the way the Yanks have been swinging, he may be worth a pickup just in case.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby soxwillchoke » Tue May 17, 2005 10:20 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
mrfantasybaseball wrote:When Sierra comes back do they send Cano back down to AAA and put womack at second? Seems like Cano's AB's will be limited pretty soon here.

Hell no, isn't Andy Phillips still on the roster?

Sierra would platoon at DH with Giambi, against lefties, no? Womack looks like he can handle left field.
soxwillchoke
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby donny23 » Tue May 17, 2005 10:54 am

mrfantasybaseball wrote:When Sierra comes back do they send Cano back down to AAA and put womack at second? Seems like Cano's AB's will be limited pretty soon here.

No he won't. Sierra is not an everyday OF. Sierra will split at bats at DH with Bernie and Giambi (guess they'll go with the hot bat) and occasionally might spell Womack in LF. Cano will be their everyday 2B.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Tue May 17, 2005 12:04 pm

Phillips will get sent down. Joe has made that pretty obvious. I've seen Cano play on TV, and I've seen him play live a couple times at the stadium. The kid is surprisingly big for a second baseman but not a fat ass like Ronnie Belliard. Confident kid, nice raw talent with far more plate discipline than Jose Reyes for Example (hell even Sammy has more than Jose), and he has a quick bat. Joe has made comments about him reminding Joe of Rod Carew. Pretty high praise offensively. I've seen the kid make some terrible plays at 2b and they are attributing it to the fact that he "plays with a kind of style about him" (Joe's words). They said things about how he plays like a dominican infielder with the flair and not the fundamentals. He has good range (arm) but is pretty sloppy. It certainly seems like they will deal with his defensive development because they are confident in his offensive abilities (He is not a base stealer) so don't worry about him losing playing time. I have even heard that when they want to get Bernie AB's against the NL teams they will move Matsui to left, put Bernie in center and give Womack the day off instead of Cano. I think Cano is a good option and has shown some solid upside. I added him in a 10 team H2H and am expecting a solid average, strong run production and average power for a 2B.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 17, 2005 12:10 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:...I have even heard that when they want to get Bernie AB's against the NL teams they will move Matsui to left, put Bernie in center and give Womack the day off instead of Cano.

They did this last night and he hit well..he seems like a good player.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby WharfRat » Tue May 17, 2005 12:16 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Phillips will get sent down. Joe has made that pretty obvious. I've seen Cano play on TV, and I've seen him play live a couple times at the stadium. The kid is surprisingly big for a second baseman but not a fat ass like Ronnie Belliard. Confident kid, nice raw talent with far more plate discipline than Jose Reyes for Example (hell even Sammy has more than Jose), and he has a quick bat. Joe has made comments about him reminding Joe of Rod Carew. Pretty high praise offensively. I've seen the kid make some terrible plays at 2b and they are attributing it to the fact that he "plays with a kind of style about him" (Joe's words). They said things about how he plays like a dominican infielder with the flair and not the fundamentals. He has good range (arm) but is pretty sloppy. It certainly seems like they will deal with his defensive development because they are confident in his offensive abilities (He is not a base stealer) so don't worry about him losing playing time. I have even heard that when they want to get Bernie AB's against the NL teams they will move Matsui to left, put Bernie in center and give Womack the day off instead of Cano. I think Cano is a good option and has shown some solid upside. I added him in a 10 team H2H and am expecting a solid average, strong run production and average power for a 2B.

Thanks for the info!
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby George_Foreman » Tue May 17, 2005 2:48 pm

cano's definitely got more upside that womack... i'd say womack is where you go if you want consistant (albeit very mediocre) production. but cano might actually be something special, in as far as we don't already know that he's not something special, as is the case with womack. >_<
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers