what's the latest on Rocco Baldelli? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Tampa Bay Rays

what's the latest on Rocco Baldelli?

Moderators: hayseed, Baseball Moderators

what's the latest on Rocco Baldelli?

Postby bobby » Mon May 16, 2005 4:11 am

When is Rocco Baldelli coming back?
bobby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:32 pm

hopefully around the all star break as he has already started minor league rehab assignments....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby inkubus » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:30 pm

Going under the knife (Tommy John surgery) out for this year and part of next.
inkubus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby bobby » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:08 pm

Well that sucks. I stashed him on my DL hoping he would be back to this summer.

Hope his surgery goes well, get well soon!
bobby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:20 pm

definitely get well soon :-/
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:42 am

Agree - I picked him as a reserve in my AL non-keeper hoping for an ASB return. Oh well, not all gambles pay off.

Now, with Gomes up, I hoping that come August, they'll bring up D. Young and, with Crawford and Gaithright/Gomes, we can see what the OF will look like.

I'll also be curious as to what this does for Rocco's trade value - I had heard he was being shopped last off-season (due to all the OF in the system) - losing part of next year doesn't help.

If they are going to go with youth (per Lou's comments), I say they should do it. It seems like the Braves are playing more rookies than the Rays, and the Braves are still trying to win.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:34 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Agree - I picked him as a reserve in my AL non-keeper hoping for an ASB return. Oh well, not all gambles pay off.

Now, with Gomes up, I hoping that come August, they'll bring up D. Young and, with Crawford and Gaithright/Gomes, we can see what the OF will look like.

I'll also be curious as to what this does for Rocco's trade value - I had heard he was being shopped last off-season (due to all the OF in the system) - losing part of next year doesn't help.

If they are going to go with youth (per Lou's comments), I say they should do it. It seems like the Braves are playing more rookies than the Rays, and the Braves are still trying to win.

well rocco will not be 24 til september, so he is still very young imo.... and i much prefer rocco in the outfield than gomes..... even with rocco missing a part of next year as well( geesh maybe i need to change my av), i still think rocco is a much better option than gomes will be.... i think gomes has decent power but i think his average will be below 250 most of his career..... and with the speed of crawford, young, and gathright,,,,, i would much prefer baldellis hopefully steady BA than gomes possible 10 more home runs.....
raiders_umpire

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:52 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Agree - I picked him as a reserve in my AL non-keeper hoping for an ASB return. Oh well, not all gambles pay off.

well rocco will not be 24 til september, so he is still very young imo.... and i much prefer rocco in the outfield than gomes..... even with rocco missing a part of next year as well( geesh maybe i need to change my av), i still think rocco is a much better option than gomes will be.... i think gomes has decent power but i think his average will be below 250 most of his career..... and with the speed of crawford, young, and gathright,,,,, i would much prefer baldellis hopefully steady BA than gomes possible 10 more home runs.....

Oh, I quite agree - I would much rather have an OF of Crawford in left, Baldelli in right and DY in center.

However, as the DRays have shown, a player's salary is taken into account - and presuming Baldelli's year on the DL counts toward his service time, I think he'll be eligible for arbitration after this year. So the choice between Gomes and Baldelli is more of an economic choice rather than talent.

Also, with Baldelli, DY and Crawford, only one true power threat, whereas most OF have power at the two corner OF spots. Maybe with BJ supplying power at SS, this is OK.

However, I would really like to know the ideal line-up in two years. That, I think, will decide who stays and where they play. If Baldelli is cheaper and more desirable than, say, Huff, maybe they move Gomes to 1st after trading Huff.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby warrick95 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:06 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:

Oh, I quite agree - I would much rather have an OF of Crawford in left, Baldelli in right and DY in center.

However, as the DRays have shown, a player's salary is taken into account - and presuming Baldelli's year on the DL counts toward his service time, I think he'll be eligible for arbitration after this year. So the choice between Gomes and Baldelli is more of an economic choice rather than talent.

Also, with Baldelli, DY and Crawford, only one true power threat, whereas most OF have power at the two corner OF spots. Maybe with BJ supplying power at SS, this is OK.

However, I would really like to know the ideal line-up in two years. That, I think, will decide who stays and where they play. If Baldelli is cheaper and more desirable than, say, Huff, maybe they move Gomes to 1st after trading Huff.

Rocco's gotta work on that OBP...he has to learn to not swing at everything. That should come with time. The same with power. He'll eventually learn to lift the ball more. He was pretty skinny over the last couple of years, too. Scouts did expect him to fill out more. He probably will some more and develop more strength. Power is usually the last tool to come.

I don't see Gomes as nothing more than an average regular. He provides a steady OBP and power, but strikes out a lot and also hits for a low average. Considering what we have in the OF and 1B, it would not make sense to me if we had him in our long-term plans. I'd much prefer Wes Bankston (1B) and Elijah Dukes (OF).

IMO, DY's arm makes him a more ideal RF than Rocco. Plus, Rocco offers more speed, although that may be sapped a little due to surgery. Hopefully it comes back completely.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Tampa Bay Rays