Beltran VS. Abreu from here on out - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran VS. Abreu from here on out

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheAbreu » Mon May 16, 2005 1:48 pm

Also, guys, don't overlook the very important factor that like Brian Roberts, Bobby Abreu, an even more talented player, busted his ass in the off-season. He's finally learned that part of improving his game, and it flatout shows. He's not a fluke with these improved power stats. Add the park in too. Abreu is better than Beltran. Seriously!!!
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon May 16, 2005 3:25 pm

TheAbreu wrote:Abreu has been a better hitter than Beltran for years.

I'm a huge Beltran fan, but you're right, he has. Abreu is simply one of the best hitters in baseball. Beltran is great, but Abreu is better. Abreu is going to have a better year than Beltran. It's obvious to me that Beltran isn't going to steal this year.

Edit: the time to draft Beltran was last year. This year, he's overrated. Abreu is this years Beltran.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Mon May 16, 2005 3:31 pm

I don't know about any "slam dunk" case here.

abreu is the better avg hitter. that much is clear.

But Abreu has also had a powerful, but inconsistent bat.

If we take each of their five best seasons, beltran avg's 27.8 hr's, Abreu 25.2. Bobby also has a pair of 20's there, whereas beltran is almost always around 25.

The stolen Bases are telling, as abreu got to 40 for the first time last season, but Beltran broke the barrier twice.

I'd be pretty disappointed with bobby's 20-20 campaign too.

My point in all of this is that I think it is much too close to tell for this year, and I don't think it is cut and dried as carlos has the higher swipe percentage, seems to have a higher swipe ceiling, and has a power ceiling that is at worst similar to bobby. Bobby has the avg, but also is a little older. I think it is too close to call, especially considering we are like 6 weeks in or whatever.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby blankman » Mon May 16, 2005 4:03 pm

KolbSaves wrote:
wrveres wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:
blankman wrote:I'm wondering what happened to the Beltan #1 overall guys. Jackal????

I'm starting to think that Jackal doesn't know very much about fantasy baseball. Of course, I could be wrong...

;-7

you wouldn't be the first one to think that .. O:-)

He's 11 out of 12 overall in the Cafe Challenge so far (only ahead of the super bottom dwelling Erboes) but overall I think he has some good insights and I enjoy reading his posts.

Unless he's making predictions. Those I'd stay far, far away from ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby tand » Mon May 16, 2005 4:10 pm

If it was a OBP league...Abreu is very much underrated.
A 400+ 30-30 guy

Beltran's special because he can do a 40-40 season.

If the draft was held to day..I think I'd go wioth Abreu. An ex beltran owner.
tand
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby josebach » Mon May 16, 2005 4:15 pm

I can honestly admit I would have taken Beltran over Abreu at the beginning of the season, but now it's not even close. Abreu all the way. I was lucky and got Abreu in the second round.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RJCarrot » Mon May 16, 2005 4:23 pm

Abreu.

Abreu will have more steal ops, and walks more (if you count those) and can match him in power any time.

Once rollins finds his bad and utley gets the every day start. There will be more people on base for his homers meaning more runs.

Plus with burrell hitting well, you have more of a chance for him to get R's

Definately Abreu.
RJCarrot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: In a clock tower w/ a high powered rifle in clear view of David Bell in the batters box.

Postby great gretzky » Mon May 16, 2005 4:35 pm

gotta disagree with the "power" comment. Abreu has had his disappointing seasons with it, and on a per season basis if we take their best -- beltran beats abreu. its close, but again its not "no contest"

In terms of bests go -- beltran's high HR and high SB is higher than abreu's, and beltran is younger -- not to mention that the season is still young.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Phatferd » Mon May 16, 2005 4:44 pm

great gretzky wrote:gotta disagree with the "power" comment. Abreu has had his disappointing seasons with it, and on a per season basis if we take their best -- beltran beats abreu. its close, but again its not "no contest"

In terms of bests go -- beltran's high HR and high SB is higher than abreu's, and beltran is younger -- not to mention that the season is still young.

Abreu has only played in Citizens Bank Park for 1 year and he had solid power. You can't really put "full" weight on his past numbers. On the other end, Beltran is in a new "pitchers" park and you can't really use his power numbers from seasons past to make a "full" assumption.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers