Beltran VS. Abreu from here on out - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran VS. Abreu from here on out

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rckaflla88 » Mon May 16, 2005 10:13 am

oh and FYI.....abreu is having the best month of his career...so far for peakin out last year huh....i mean he's played only 15 games...
so just over half of the games in may...but he's already surpassed most hrs in a month...9...8 being his previous tops...9 ribbies short from his career high of 30 in a month...any how..just thought that was interesting
rckaflla88
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby d18Mike » Mon May 16, 2005 11:00 am

I missed Beltran in the first round and got "stuck" with Abreu. Whew!
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby warrick95 » Mon May 16, 2005 11:43 am

wrveres wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:
blankman wrote:I'm wondering what happened to the Beltan #1 overall guys. Jackal????

I'm starting to think that Jackal doesn't know very much about fantasy baseball. Of course, I could be wrong...

;-7

you wouldn't be the first one to think that .. O:-)

Jackal's the man. Yhency sure was effective as the interim closer, eh? 11/12 in saves.

Man...this is a toughie. I'd say tossup...but going with Abreu now. There's no evidence that Beltran WILL run, but if he does, I'd go with Carlos. IMO, Abreu's the more conservative choice. I wouldn't mind making a deal for Beltran now, though.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CitricAcid » Mon May 16, 2005 11:56 am

Abreu, in my mind, is THE most underrated player...Heres an article I found:

http://www.fantasybaseball.com/modules/ ... ticleid=75
CitricAcid
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby rckaflla88 » Mon May 16, 2005 12:01 pm

great article....its true....so true...
rckaflla88
College Coach
College Coach

Postby seniorpaul » Mon May 16, 2005 12:14 pm

I'm one of those unlucky guys who got stuck with BOTH of them on my team. And dang, it's a keeper league. ;-D
Last edited by seniorpaul on Mon May 16, 2005 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Mon May 16, 2005 12:31 pm

wrveres wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:
blankman wrote:I'm wondering what happened to the Beltan #1 overall guys. Jackal????

I'm starting to think that Jackal doesn't know very much about fantasy baseball. Of course, I could be wrong...

;-7

He's 11 out of 12 overall in the Cafe Challenge so far (only ahead of the super bottom dwelling Erboes) but overall I think he has some good insights and I enjoy reading his posts.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon May 16, 2005 12:38 pm

wrveres wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:

;-7

Same guy who claimed Casey would be better than Ortiz in 05.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby WittyC » Mon May 16, 2005 1:35 pm

This thread seems a little outlandish to me right now. Before the season I battled mightily in favor of the ARod over Beltran camp, but there is no way, even after a bad first month, that I would rather have Abreu than Beltran.

As the Mets continue to slide in the standings, Randolph will be forced to manufacture runs, which means Beltran will end up in the 2-hole with a green light. Especially with Cameron back, this is an adjustment they could make.

Abreu has typically been a consistent player, but he was ice cold before he started hitting this year. Somehow he thrived without Thome in the lineup, but that won't continue. He's so hot right now that no one's going to give him pitches to hit. I'd bet the farm he doesn't top 35 homers.

Fantasy Rule No. 1 -- The Law of Averages.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheAbreu » Mon May 16, 2005 1:46 pm

Abreu has been a better hitter than Beltran for years. I'm sorry, but Beltran having more HRs doesn't make up in my mind the advantage Abreu has had in batting average, on base, and OPS. Add into that the fact that Abreu is now in a big hitter's park, Beltran's in a big pitcher's park, and Abreu is having the green light with Beltran's light red, I think it's Abreu in a wash.

And I'm not fickle when it comes to this issue. I've always sided with Abreu. I was never high on Beltran aside from roto leagues as a first rounder. In fact, I made every draft with a chance to get Beltran and usually passed on him for other guys like Todd Helton and Manny Ramirez. I just don't consider Beltran a difference maker with the bat like other sluggers are. His value comes in steals. Even last year, when people got major power from him, his average was way down. Until he goes a year at .300, 40, 120, 20 SB or more, I will not begin to consider him better than Abreu
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers