When does the commish' powers cross the line? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When does the commish' powers cross the line?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nazarko329 » Sun May 15, 2005 11:05 pm

So you are saying that 2 people vetoed your trade, and NO ONE vetoed the other? Doesn't that seem strange?
nazarko329
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bselig » Sun May 15, 2005 11:18 pm

This trade would be fair...IF Santana wasn't in it. But he is, and he's the best pitcher in baseball. HAS to be vetoed.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon May 16, 2005 12:25 am

I'm of the mind that you have to let managers manage their teams how they see fit...so no veto. If you suspect (and can verify) collusion then the action is to lock their teams and not invite them back to the league next year. If you don't suspect collusion then you have to let the trade go through.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Mon May 16, 2005 4:01 am

We have our first protester on the board. It will be interesting to see how the league feels about this one when they wake up in the morning.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Mon May 16, 2005 4:22 am

I think you should handle it exactly how you handled it on here ..
Just explain it to everybody ..

Say something brief about the objections you recieved on your deal, but how you felt it wasn't enough to overturn, since it didn't mess with the competetive balance of the league. But then be sure to ask for "thoughts" about this current deal. Try and stay as nuetral as possible.
Its my guess that a majority of the owners will be upset, and when you use the veto on this deal there will probably be very little if any heat, about your swap.

just my .02
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Phatferd » Mon May 16, 2005 5:17 am

We have a couple of people on the board protesting it at this point. The league is a bunch of friends and each person knows about a third of the league (other people are friends of others in the league, that not everyone knows personally) and he told me tonight that he got a lot of phone calls asking what he was thinking.

I saw him come online late tonight and I told him I have recieved some complaints on the deal and he told me I could veto it if I want, and that he has his reasons and is just too tired to get into it at this point. This was at like 145am after we were out all last night hanging out with some other friends.

I am just going to wait until tomorrow to hear his case before I do anything, however, there isn't much he can tell me that can possible change my stance.

A side note, one person who complained on the board came on and said he would have given him Halladay, Puudge, Kent and Delgado for the exact same players. Is this right? I kind of have a problem with this because it lets everyone know what it will take to get him and if it gets vetoed he automatically has a strong hand and can milk it for everything its worth.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cooner » Mon May 16, 2005 10:04 am

this is a really tough situation. It's clearly not collusion, but clearly a bad trade that the guy is probably starting to regret. However, in my opinion you can't veto this trade. To the guy who just offered more- he should have offered that beforehand. There is one league I'm in which is all friends, and we all chat outside of the board. There have been MANY trades in that (keeper) league (especially between two guys) where I wanted to veto and offer better. But the fact is, if an owner doesn't get full value because he doesn't shop around a bit, that's his own fault, and good luck for the other owner.

I think this is a perfect example of a very lopsided trade that can't be vetoed because there is no collusion.

That said, if your league has decided there will be a review of trades, and lopsided trades without collusion have been vetoed before, then you must veto. But then I think you have your vetos set up wrong. Good luck!
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fpower » Mon May 16, 2005 10:26 am

You should handle it the same way you handled your own robbery, since that was the precedent you set. If you get enough votes to veto, do so. If you don't, you have to let it go through.
Fpower
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Deuce » Mon May 16, 2005 3:41 pm

Based on current numbers, this trade isn't really that lopsided. It appears one owner is giving up some proven talent for who he thinks is and will be hot. Other than Santana moving, this could be a fair deal. No trade is ever exactly equal. Does the owner of Santana have other quality starters. If so, he may have something else up his sleeve (not necessarily collusion).
Don't veto, try to get in on the good deals while they last. It's too early to know if Vmart and Soriano are going return to form. Barmes and Towers could be the reason for the deal.
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Mon May 16, 2005 3:58 pm

I think its safe to say Soriano has returned to form, he is doing well.

He has Peavy and Radke as his two other top starters.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers