When does the commish' powers cross the line? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When does the commish' powers cross the line?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When does the commish' powers cross the line?

Postby Phatferd » Sun May 15, 2005 10:17 pm

I am the commish and I have veto power. There is a deal I am strongly thinking about disallowing. The problem is I just made a deal this week (still pending, but goes through tonight. I wait 3 days to allow feedback on the board) Helton and Ollie Perez for Pujols and Hafner, I got Pujols and Hafner. I had 2 complaints for the trade, but it isn't enough for me to veto it.

Today there was a deal that went down, just 10 minutes ago and I am strongly thinking about vetoing it.

Soriano, VMART, Izturis, Johan
for
Barmes, Luis Castillo, Mauer, Josh Towers.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When does the commish' powers cross the line?

Postby swarmee » Sun May 15, 2005 10:24 pm

Phatferd wrote:Soriano, VMART, Izturis, Johan
for
Barmes, Luis Castillo, Mauer, Josh Towers.

If this is a keeper league with salaries, that may be a reason to allow it. Otherwise it's a complete whitewashing that would disrupt the balance of power in a league and therefore be a clear veto for me.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby This is the year » Sun May 15, 2005 10:25 pm

That's a pretty lopsided trade. 2 first rounders, a 4th-5th rounder (though he isn't performing like it), and a throw in for a waiver wire wonder, a mid round pick, a late round pick, and a throw in.

I've never been commish so I can't tell you what to do, but I know I'd be pretty pissed if this trade were passed in one of my leagues. I'd be prepared to take some heat for your trade though, which is also slightly lopsided (but clearly not vetoable)
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Phatferd » Sun May 15, 2005 10:28 pm

It's not a keeper, and the strange thing is the guy trading away Soriano and Santana won the league 2 years ago and is always a force. I asked him why he did this deal and he told me his offense is poor and he needed to shake things up. That makes no sense to me because hes trading away his offense and weakening his staff.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Box » Sun May 15, 2005 10:34 pm

Helton/Ollie for Pooholes/Pronk isnt fair, but its not vetoable.

That 2nd deal is a bloody joke. If the guy has won the league before, he obviously knows what he's doing, so this reeks of collusion.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jeffwarsh » Sun May 15, 2005 10:38 pm

I think you should be more worried about people being mad about you not vetoing the trade than they might be if you do veto. That trade is ridiculous.
jeffwarsh
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Phatferd » Sun May 15, 2005 10:41 pm

Box wrote:Helton/Ollie for Pooholes/Pronk isnt fair, but its not vetoable.

That 2nd deal is a bloody joke. If the guy has won the league before, he obviously knows what he's doing, so this reeks of collusion.

I don't think so, because hes one of my better friends and the other guy lives across the country hes a friend of another guy in our league so I don't know why they would collude.

I think it has to do with him begining to panic. He is in another league and he has a decent team, but they just aren't performing and his team got smoked this week by the last place team. I think he just overreacted after this week and thought he needed to change. It wasn't his fault his team got smoked, the last place team was hitting like 400 with 30 RBIs after 2 days and just ran away with the week.

My biggest worry is if I veto it and the league just unfolds because they think I am having too much control. I don't want to post a message on the board either because I think it persuades peoples opinions and want them to come out on their own.

My trade isn't that fair, I realize that, but its been 2 1/2 days and only 1 person made comment on the board and another emailed me saying he would like to officially cast a veto vote. 2 people aren't enough for me to veto my deal, however, I almost feel that I don't care if I get 0 vetos for this one and will still do it.

I am just feeling bad and have mixed feelings. Who thought being a commish was this hard?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Box » Sun May 15, 2005 10:47 pm

Phatferd wrote: Who thought being a commish was this hard?

I didnt. Its a thankless job, thats for sure. Just make sure youre consistent, fair and even handed. The season will be over soon. :-°
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Phatferd » Sun May 15, 2005 10:48 pm

Box wrote:
Phatferd wrote: Who thought being a commish was this hard?

I didnt. Its a thankless job, thats for sure. Just make sure youre consistent, fair and even handed. The season will be over soon. :-°

Sadly, I don't want it to be over. I can't live without this pain.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Sun May 15, 2005 10:59 pm

I think you can definately veto that trade. Its not even close. But on second thoughts who has the right to tell a person that the players that they are getting arent as good as they think they are? If both people in the deal feal like it is fair, is that all that matters? I dont think so. But I guess those issues should be based on a vote, to determine whether or not the league in general shares similar perceptions.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers