Mike Wood as closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Wood as closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike Wood as closer?

Postby Shock6822 » Sun May 15, 2005 5:32 pm

I know Burgos came in in the 9th for the opp, but he bombed again and Wood got a 2nd straight save...any KC homers got any info, or is Burgos still the "it" thing?
Shock6822
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Mon May 16, 2005 1:10 am

I am very curious to the situation as well. A KC closer might not be worth a whole lot due to lack of opps. But in a daily transaction league starting anyone who has a job as closer has good value. I haven't been able to find anything that says yes or no as of now. Anyone else have any luck?
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon May 16, 2005 1:51 am

Both Wood saves have been one-out efforts. We may be looking at a committee effort until Affeldt comes back. I'm not ready to move on him, but the situation may bear watching ... if Wood gets on a roll, he could grab it.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Bukoski77 » Mon May 16, 2005 2:14 am

Each save was just bailing Burgos out of a jam. If they go to a committee then all their relievers are probably worthless, except for deep leagues, until Affeldt returns. Dont go chasing Wood off the wire unless you have a garbage player to dump for a closer gamble.

The Royals like Wood's potential in the rotation too much to relegate him to bullpen duty. I'll be surprised if Wood isnt a regular in KC's starting rotation bye the All-Star break.

He is a semi decent SP sleeper in AL leagues but I'm guessing it is a year or two before he is a regular on mixed 12 team fantasy league rosters.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Mon May 16, 2005 3:19 am

Affeldt seems a cinch to reclaim the job now that Burgos has come unhinged.

I have no idea why they haven't tried Sisco in the interim, but these are the Royals.

As for Wood, he's not much, either as a SP or RP. Modest fastball, other stuff is ordinary...just doesn't project as anything more than a Quad-A pitcher. In actuality, that makes him a perfect fit on this team, as they are a Quad-A franchise.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Mon May 16, 2005 4:10 am

thehat wrote:Affeldt seems a cinch to reclaim the job now that Burgos has come unhinged.

I have no idea why they haven't tried Sisco in the interim, but these are the Royals.

As for Wood, he's not much, either as a SP or RP. Modest fastball, other stuff is ordinary...just doesn't project as anything more than a Quad-A pitcher. In actuality, that makes him a perfect fit on this team, as they are a Quad-A franchise.

they should put Sisco in the rotation ..
Let him go 5 or 6 innings, see what he can do.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby hybrid » Mon May 16, 2005 7:18 am

thehat wrote:I have no idea why they haven't tried Sisco in the interim, but these are the Royals.

They tried him once, but he was about to blow it so they brought in Wood.

But yeah they should give him more of a chance, nothing to lose.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby benjapage » Mon May 16, 2005 9:05 am

notice how they go to wood for the sticky situations. that has to speak to their confidence in the man's ability to put out the fire. he's making a great case for himself.

ok, i just noticed that first sentence. although i'm inclined to change it, i'm going to leave it as is; for the people's benefit. ;-D

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby kev921 » Mon May 16, 2005 9:44 am

What we have is an inexperienced bullpen, an interim manager and a bad poor ball team. All will change when/if the Royals pick a different manager for the remainder of the season or new full time mananger.

If you are able to predict what will happen, then you should be playing Powerball!
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby prodpaul » Mon May 16, 2005 11:07 am

I would not jump on the Wood bangwagon. Affeldt starts his Minor league rehab this week and should be back soon.

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers