Thanks to your sig, I spent this weekend playing Zork I. :-b

Light the lamp already!
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sun May 15, 2005 11:40 am

For the first time or a return to glory days? I honestly didn't think anyone had any clue what my sig was about.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Grouperman941 » Sun May 15, 2005 11:48 am

Glory days. Like the fourth time. Amazing how much I forgot.

The games are all abandonware, so free dls.

I'll be doing II and III this week as my wife will be away on business. ;-D

As if I have nothing better to do. :-)
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Tavish » Sun May 15, 2005 11:56 am

Have fun, the one thing that I will never give up is text adventure games. The newer releases haven't been quite as interesting as the classic ones (NetHack and Angband were pretty interesting though).

I guess the real important question is, have you ever played any MUDs lately?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby Grouperman941 » Sun May 15, 2005 12:07 pm

Tavish wrote:I guess the real important question is, have you ever played any MUDs lately?

Between FBB and RL, I don't have the time anymore. And I'm not giving up FBB. ;-)

We (kids mostly) do play Disney's Toontown which sort of helps beat down my jones for gaming.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Tavish » Sun May 15, 2005 12:23 pm

Can't say I blame you, I still find a little bit of time (not nearly as much as I once did) to play and write text-based MUDs. Hard to beat free games that give you all the fun of slaying orcs and dragons with none of the guilty conscience that comes from doing the same in real life.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby blankman » Sun May 15, 2005 12:26 pm

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but it sounds like that's a good thing :-°
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Grouperman941 » Sun May 15, 2005 12:31 pm

blankman wrote:I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but it sounds like that's a good thing :-°

LOL
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Tavish » Sun May 15, 2005 12:36 pm

the almighty Wiki wrote:In computer gaming, a MUD (multi-user dungeon, dimension, or sometimes domain) is a multi-player computer role-playing game typically running on a bulletin board system or Internet server. Players assume the role of a character, and see textual descriptions of rooms, objects, other characters, and computer-controlled creatures or non-player characters (NPCs) in a virtual world. They may interact with each other and the surroundings by typing commands that resemble a natural language, usually English.

Traditional MUDs implement a fantasy world populated by elves, goblins, and other mythical beings with players being knights, sorcerers, and the like. The object of the game is to slay monsters, explore a rich world and complete quests. Other MUDs have a science fiction setting. Still others, especially those which are based on MOOs, are used in distance education or to allow for virtual conferences. MUDs have also attracted the interest of academic scholars from many fields, including communications, sociology, law, and synthetic economies.

Most MUDs are run as hobbies and are free to players; some may accept donations or allow players to "purchase" in-game items.

In short the games are basically Everquest without graphics and completely free to play.

Zork was a 1970s game where you played an adventurer on a quest for treasure (with the grue waiting to eat you at every turn). A real classic and laid the groundwork for basically every RPG out there today. It was a single player game as opposed to the MUDs which will sometimes have upwards of 200 players on at once.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Grouperman941 » Sun May 15, 2005 1:24 pm

blankman wrote:I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but it sounds like that's a good thing :-°

If you really wanna know:

http://www.infocom-if.org/downloads/downloads.html
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to General Talk