sig request with Jeter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests

sig request with Jeter

Moderators: deluxe_247, kimchi_chigae, Mookie4ever, Baseball Moderators

Postby dimaggio5 » Tue May 17, 2005 6:41 am

Sorry All,

Gotta respond to this one. ;-)

Jeter is extremely clutch and not just for his "flip" in Oakland.

The Kamakazee Dive head first onto the stands, against the Bosox, to catch a foul ball while the Sox were starting a rally . He bruised and cut his face and had to leave the game.

Another semi dive in the 1999 World Series against the Braves I think in game 4. Caught a foul ball while in a sprint and then crashed onto the stands.

2001 WS game 4 or 5 against Atlanta. Yanks rally to tie the score and xtra innings or bottom 9th. Jeter hits a opposite field home run to win the game.

2000 WS game 4 or 5. I think the Mets had just won a game and the Yanks were up 2-1 and momentum was shifting to the Mets. Jeter leads off the next game and on his opening at bat he hits a HR. It was 1-0 for most of the game until he got another hit later in the game to score another run. The final score was like 2-1 or 3-2 something like that.

There are so many instances where Jeter had come through with a pivotal play or at bat. So many that Yankee fans tend to take them for granted now. He'll never have the batting stats of Arod, Tejada or Ernie Banks but his intangible quality which makes him special is his knack for being clutch with his glove and at bats. That's what makes Jeter more valuable to the Yanks than Arod IMHO. :-D

It's not just the Tradition.....its Aura and Mystique
dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue May 17, 2005 11:35 am

I'm not going to get into the whole argument because it's not worth it, here are a few threads talking about jeter and him being "clutch"

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=32944
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=31960
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby rhamton » Tue May 17, 2005 12:31 pm

dimaggio5 wrote:Sorry All,

The Kamakazee Dive head first onto the stands, against the Bosox, to catch a foul ball while the Sox were starting a rally . He bruised and cut his face and had to leave the game.

Another semi dive in the 1999 World Series against the Braves I think in game 4. Caught a foul ball while in a sprint and then crashed onto the stands.

2001 WS game 4 or 5 against Atlanta. Yanks rally to tie the score and xtra innings or bottom 9th. Jeter hits a opposite field home run to win the game.

2000 WS game 4 or 5. I think the Mets had just won a game and the Yanks were up 2-1 and momentum was shifting to the Mets. Jeter leads off the next game and on his opening at bat he hits a HR. It was 1-0 for most of the game until he got another hit later in the game to score another run. The final score was like 2-1 or 3-2 something like that.

There are so many instances where Jeter had come through with a pivotal play or at bat. So many that Yankee fans tend to take them for granted now. He'll never have the batting stats of Arod, Tejada or Ernie Banks but his intangible quality which makes him special is his knack for being clutch with his glove and at bats. That's what makes Jeter more valuable to the Yanks than Arod IMHO. :-D

Dimaggio5 thank you ;-D

You saved me the time of having to write other examples. The one I used was one the regular fan not just Yankee fans would recognize, so I could get my point across quickly.

When you win, nothing hurts!
rhamton
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Tue May 17, 2005 1:12 pm

dimaggio5 wrote:Sorry All,

The ball was fair just so you know.
dimaggio5 wrote:Another semi dive in the 1999 World Series against the Braves I think in game 4. Caught a foul ball while in a sprint and then crashed onto the stands.

We remember the times when he came through, but don't remember the times he doesn't. Derek Jeter is an amazing player. What he does in the playoffs is play like the amazing player he is. Again, Derek Jeter is my absolute favorite player, but those plays don't necessarily make him 'clutch'. They make him the amazing player that he is.

Derek Jeter is more valuable to the Yankees than anyone else for his leadership and intensity.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby rhamton » Tue May 17, 2005 1:25 pm

Well some can agree, or, agree to disagree on Jeter. But there's no argument on Elway. He was huge in the clutch!

When you win, nothing hurts!
rhamton
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AT » Tue May 17, 2005 2:24 pm

Elway was 2 out of 5 in super bowls. He can't hold Derek Jeter's jock. Sorry, He can't. And frankly, if John Elway was half the man Derek Jeter is he would've gone and played for the Colts. What a jerk :-t
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dimaggio5 » Tue May 17, 2005 3:11 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:I'm not going to get into the whole argument because it's not worth it, here are a few threads talking about jeter and him being "clutch"

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=32944
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=31960

Hey Mustang,

Your absolutely right...don't want to or didn't intend to start a whole arguement thing on this forum. Just good natured banter :-b

Thanks for the links should be interesting reading ;-D

dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dimaggio5 » Tue May 17, 2005 3:45 pm

blankman wrote:We remember the times when he came through, but don't remember the times he doesn't. Derek Jeter is an amazing player. What he does in the playoffs is play like the amazing player he is. Again, Derek Jeter is my absolute favorite player, but those plays don't necessarily make him 'clutch'. They make him the amazing player that he is.

Derek Jeter is more valuable to the Yankees than anyone else for his leadership and intensity.

Hey Blankman,

This is true and you are correct, if Jeter came through every time he'd be omnipotent or a Superman. I remember the times Jeter had faltered however, if you look at all the top performers in all of sports, every one of them has faltered from time to time. What I think is key is a continuous trend of exceptional performance and not that once in a lifetime play. O:-)

I think the term "clutch" should be defined as a play or moment where the actions of a team or individual had prevented an opponent from or elevated his team to victory. Where an action had shifted or altered an outcome of a game in his teams favor.

If this is an acceptable or adequte description, then if a player has a history of continuos or repeated acts or performances then he has to be termed clutch. Especially when these moments occur in big games like rivalries or the playoffs. O:-)

The true test of a player's clutch appeal will be sports history. 50 years from now, will sports fans remember the moments as vividly as say Willie Mays over the head catch. Time will tell. ;-) ;-D

dimaggio5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Fantasy Logo & Avatar Requests