Have you guys seen this movie?

Definitely different...
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Sun May 15, 2005 12:17 am

Never heard of it...looks pretty damn sweet though Ill check it out.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby JTWood » Sun May 15, 2005 12:25 am

acsguitar wrote:Never heard of it...looks pretty damn sweet though Ill check it out.

It will mess with your head. Sophisticated time-travel movies always do, but this one is particularly organized and sensible - even if I have no idea what happened.

:-B
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Punisher » Sun May 15, 2005 10:26 am

Ive never heard of it either. Looks pretty cool though
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Tue May 17, 2005 2:00 am

Says it released on DVD on April 19th. Anyone actually seen the movie? Looks interesting, but a first hand account would be appreciated. :-) ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JTWood » Tue May 17, 2005 8:21 am

Madison wrote:Says it released on DVD on April 19th. Anyone actually seen the movie? Looks interesting, but a first hand account would be appreciated. :-) ;-D

Sorry, I should have just come out and said that I've seen it.

It's a very good concept, but there are some major flaws with the movie. I watched it twice and listened to most of the commentary, and I've decided that the holes in the movie are a direct result of the inexperience of the guy who wrote, directed, produced, and starred in the movie. It was his movie, so mistakes are to be expected.

Don't get me wrong. The plot is awesome, the plot twists are amazingly complex to wrap your noggin' around, and much of the movie is coherent. The problem is that the director messes up the screenplay at some of the most climactic points in the movie. The end result is that you feel like there are many questions that went unanswered in the movie.

I found that I had to watch the movie and then read about 2 dozen posts in the movie chat forum before I started to finally get some of the stuff that the director left out. I then watched it a second time, and it made much more sense.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is the best bad movie I'm ever going to recommend. It's got a lot of a positives, but the negatives are pretty big, too.

It has so much potential, though. I just hope that someone graps it and remakes it in about 10-15 years.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Tue May 17, 2005 8:54 am

some quotes from the website that catch my eye:

Thirty-one-year-old Shane Carruth, a former engineer who spent three years teaching himself filmmaking, conceived, wrote, directed, edited, and scored PRIMER and also plays one of the lead roles.

Carruth, who had a degree in mathematics and worked briefly at three engineering companies,

Devising his own lesson plan, he taught himself screenwriting, directing, cinematography, sound mixing, editing, and acting. “I read a lot of scripts, just to see what they’re supposed to look like, and I went to town writing,” he recalls

I don’t care much for the aesthetic of lasers and aliens and that kind of thing. Science Fiction is one of the best tools that any writer has available because it allows you to freely address universal themes, qualities of being alive on this planet -- and that’s what’s incredibly interesting to me.”

From the start, he wanted his dialogue to sound absolutely authentic. The only way to accomplish this goal was to immerse himself in the study of physics -- the shared fixation of his characters -- until he became “conversant” in it

In fact, Carruth faced quite a challenge in finding actors who could manage his low-key, conversational dialogue. “That was a terrible process -- trying to break actors of the habit of filling each line with so much drama.” he recalls.

Carruth conducted month-long rehearsals, going through each scene hundreds of times before the camera started rolling because there was no room for retakes in his frugal budget
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Thrill » Tue May 17, 2005 9:57 am

Bummer. Based on the topic heading, I thought this would be a topic about painting. :*)
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby acsguitar » Tue May 17, 2005 11:17 am

Quick someone burn it and send it to me!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Tue May 17, 2005 9:21 pm

Thanks for the info guys! ;-D

If I ever decide to watch a good-bad movie :-S , this will be the one for me. :-D ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to General Talk