Podsednik: over/under 100 SB? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Podsednik: over/under 100 SB?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Podsednik over/under 100 SB in 2005?

Over
16%
Under
84%

Total votes : 106

Postby George_Foreman » Sat May 14, 2005 11:09 pm

why do you guys say 80 is the highest? he's at 22 after tonight. he's played in 30 games this year, which puts him at a rate of a little better than 2 every 3 games. the chi-sox have played a total of 37 games after tonight, meaning he's missed 7. if he doesn't miss any more, podsy will finish with 155 games played, putting him at well over 100 on the year, given his current rate of stealing. (the real number is 114).

so why does everyone say 100 is out of the question? do you think he's going to stop walking? because i really don't see why he would stop running.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Sat May 14, 2005 11:12 pm

I'm saying under seventy. He might be on a torrid pace, but this ain't the 80's.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat May 14, 2005 11:13 pm

George_Foreman wrote:why do you guys say 80 is the highest? he's at 22 after tonight. he's played in 30 games this year, which puts him at a rate of a little better than 2 every 3 games. the chi-sox have played a total of 37 games after tonight, meaning he's missed 7. if he doesn't miss any more, podsy will finish with 155 games played, putting him at well over 100 on the year. (the real number is 114).

so why does everyone say 100 is out of the question? do you think he's going to stop walking? because i really don't see why he would stop running.

Basically because I don't see his OBP staying at .380. I'd be surprised if it's over .340 by the end of the year to be honest. His career numbers just don't lead me to believe that he can play this well the whole season.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby George_Foreman » Sat May 14, 2005 11:32 pm

the K/BB ratio doesn't lie. perhaps the Ks will go back to their norm returning his BA to where it normally is, but the fact that he's taking walks seems to indicate a different approach to hitting. if he keeps going to bat with a good eye (ie, not trying to be ichiro ;-) ), i don't see any reason for his OBP to fall back to where it was last year or even below .360.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat May 14, 2005 11:47 pm

George_Foreman wrote:the K/BB ratio doesn't lie. perhaps the Ks will go back to their norm returning his BA to where it normally is, but the fact that he's taking walks seems to indicate a different approach to hitting. if he keeps going to bat with a good eye (ie, not trying to be ichiro ;-) ), i don't see any reason for his OBP to fall back to where it was last year or even below .360.

Perhaps he's changed his whole style of hitting, it's a possibility I suppose. However I trust his career BB/K of .6 in the majors and .8 in the minors over his 1 and a half month 2:1 BB/K. Despite this only being his 3rd full year we have to remember he's not a young guy, he's 29.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby quietstorm » Sat May 14, 2005 11:51 pm

I'm gonna pull a Wilbon, here... push.

In all seriousness, though, it'll be under. I suppose his plate discipline could have made major strides this year, but I'm douting it'll continue to be this good.

I'll say 75 SBs, maybe 80. He'll be a roto god, but not nearly so valuable in real baseball.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat May 14, 2005 11:55 pm

I have to agree with Mustangs on this one. I can't see any way he keeps his OBP that high.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby tomkatt » Sun May 15, 2005 1:35 am

Pedantic wrote:I'm saying under seventy. He might be on a torrid pace, but this ain't the 80's.

Agreed, it's not like he will be running against Mike Piazza every game.
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun May 15, 2005 11:15 am

Pods will definately get his share of steals and may even top his 70 from last year. But 100 is wildly optimistic. It's a LONG season and even a slight drop in his OBP and/or his steal attempts per on-base will thwart any run at 100. Players get tired, they get hurt, and/or they lose a half-step and get thrown out more.

Also, it's worth noting that, despite all his steals, he's not crossing home plate too often. He's got more steals than runs! Arguably, this could cut both ways. It could be a sign that he's just been unlucky in that he's been getting lackluster hitting support when he's in scoring position, and that the run totals will jump once his luck turns around. On the other hand, it may be a sign that all his stealing isn't really helping the teams bottom line, and if so the green light might be turned off somewhat. I doubt the team wants to burn him out for nothing.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nikku88 » Sun May 15, 2005 11:38 am

I say under cause most fast starters don't keep up their pace all season.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers