Trade: Injury Ethics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade: Injury Ethics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade: Injury Ethics

Postby d18Mike » Sat May 14, 2005 1:24 pm

Friday morning I made an offer of an OFer for Rich Harden. I see that the guy accepted the trade literally seconds after Harden was injured.

Do I have a basis to have this trade nullified by the commissioner or is it just my tough luck? Never had this happen to me before.

Thoughts
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Sat May 14, 2005 1:31 pm

Here's what Yahoo rules say:
Please be sure to keep tabs on the trades that you have offered to other managers. So long as a trade is in the offered state, it can still be accepted. Therefore, there is a possibility that a trade is accepted after a player is injured, demoted, etc. Yahoo! Sports will not intervene in such events.

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/baseball/ ... es-17.html

I had that happen to me as well. I dealt Burrell, Borowski, and Brower for Bonds after news came that he had another surgery. I don't mind too much actually, because I might've done the deal even with the additional surgery.

Is it technically against the rules? No. But it's kind of low. This sort of action rewards the person who gets to the computer faster. Some people just can't get to the computer every second to cancel trades and the like. It's sort of the matter that the waiver system was created to stop...instead of the first come/first serve basis. Explain your situation to the commish as well as the other party and see if you can get an understanding there. If that doesn't work, you could try convincing the other owners why it's vetoable.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat May 14, 2005 1:36 pm

Sorry, but I think it's just your bad luck. Check your league's rules. Some have a sort of injury "window" where if a player gets injured while a trade is pending, the trade becomes voidable. In my league, though, once a trade is a accepted it's a done deal (although you can withdraw a trade proposal at any time, so if you make a trade to get Harden and then he got injured, you could have withdrawn the offer before it was accepted).
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dannahann » Sat May 14, 2005 1:47 pm

We've had similar things happen a few times over the years and in each instance the guy who was getting the best of it stepped up to the plate immediatly and requested the deal be undone. That's the classy thing to do. However, in those instances the guy getting the best of it supposedly was unaware of the injury or the injury occured during the pending period. I'm hoping that's the case in your situation. If not and he delibrately used the injury to his advantage there isn't much you can do except publically point it out and trust your leaguemates to shun the scumbag.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Titanic Grizzlie » Sat May 14, 2005 1:57 pm

dannahann wrote:We've had similar things happen a few times over the years and in each instance the guy who was getting the best of it stepped up to the plate immediatly and requested the deal be undone. That's the classy thing to do. However, in those instances the guy getting the best of it supposedly was unaware of the injury or the injury occured during the pending period. I'm hoping that's the case in your situation. If not and he delibrately used the injury to his advantage there isn't much you can do except publically point it out and trust your leaguemates to shun the scumbag.

AGREED, I mean I am a scnadalous owner myself as far as being sneaky and calculated with everything that I do, but the one thing I won't due is pawn off an injured player before it hits newsstands. That is just cheap and classless
Titanic Grizzlie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Sat May 14, 2005 6:46 pm

The trouble with this is that it discourages owners from submitting trade offers in the first place.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby strong » Sat May 14, 2005 7:51 pm

Probably the first line of action would be to contact the other owner. Keep in mind that the owner might have accepted the deal based on Harden's tough performance. If the other owner knows you, than he might take the trade back if he didn't know. If he did know and he was being sharky, then he probably won't ever admit it to you and probably won't rescind the trade. At that point contact the commish and other players in the league. There's probably not a lot you can do about it now, but by letting the league know the circumstances, you might coerce the other owner into taking Harden back. Or if nothing else, then keeping the league privvy to shady owners...
strong
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fpower » Sat May 14, 2005 8:22 pm

We veto trades like that in our league. If he accepted before the injury, that's fine. But if he accepted it because of the injury I think it should be vetoed.
Fpower
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers