whose out longer? nomar or bonds? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

whose out longer? nomar or bonds?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

whose out longer? nomar or bonds?

Postby jkpigskin » Sat May 14, 2005 10:48 am

i would think bonds would be out longer but both will take time.. im thinking of picking up both and stashing them on the dl (2 dl spots)

wats the time period for both?

best keeper team ever!
jkpigskin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat May 14, 2005 11:01 am

I've got both and had to make the decision of which to cut this morning. :-/ I went with Nomar because it's pretty much guaranteed that he will be out well through the AS break. As for Bonds, I have no idea. I've heard rumors anywhere from another week or two to him retiring. 8-o I realize that both are really extreme, and the latter ridiculous, but I would be ecstatic if he's back before the AS break. :-/
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Simulacrum » Sat May 14, 2005 11:37 am

I have Bonds stashed in my DL spot. I'm hopeful he comes back after the all star break but I doubt we'll see him for any more than 1 month or 2. Knee surgery is serious business, and he's been under the knife three times in just a few months. He doesn't appear eager to hit the field, and even when/if he does, he's not going to be the Bonds we remember. If (god forbid) Pujols or A-Rod or someone hits the DL I will probably just drop Bonds. For the time being I'm only holding onto him because I don't need the DL spot; I don't have high hopes for him contributing much this season.

I think Nomar's in even worse shape. His groin muscle came completely off the bone... that's the kind of injury that would keep a regular working joe off his feet for months and months. And he's expected to come back and hit and run the bases in 2.5 months? He's going to be rusty as heck when he returns too.

If you have two DLs you aren't using though, might as well pick them up and stash them. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. ;-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Re: whose out longer? nomar or bonds?

Postby CPHFighter1 » Sat May 14, 2005 12:15 pm

jkpigskin wrote:i would think bonds would be out longer but both will take time.. im thinking of picking up both and stashing them on the dl (2 dl spots)

Like Simulacrum said, if you have the spot open, there is really no cost to you. Do it. However, I think Bonds has the much better chance of making it back and being productive. Stick a fork in Nomar if you ask me, but if you have a DL slot and noone there, plug him in. However once somebody does get hurt on your roster and there is a cost to having him there, then you consider letting one go (certainly Nomar first though).
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jkpigskin » Sat May 14, 2005 12:18 pm

CPHFighter1 wrote:
jkpigskin wrote:i would think bonds would be out longer but both will take time.. im thinking of picking up both and stashing them on the dl (2 dl spots)

Like Simulacrum said, if you have the spot open, there is really no cost to you. Do it. However, I think Bonds has the much better chance of making it back and being productive. Stick a fork in Nomar if you ask me, but if you have a DL slot and noone there, plug him in. However once somebody does get hurt on your roster and there is a cost to having him there, then you consider letting one go (certainly Nomar first though).

cool thanks

does anybody think that bonds will have those ridiculous walk totals if he comes back??

best keeper team ever!
jkpigskin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat May 14, 2005 12:43 pm

jkpigskin wrote:does anybody think that bonds will have those ridiculous walk totals if he comes back??

I'm taking a wait and see approach. The only league I have him in is a walks league, so I'm a little concerned. :-o I imagine once he heats up he will start getting the walks, but I wouldn't count on it right away until he proves he is the Bonds of old.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby bselig » Sat May 14, 2005 12:54 pm

Bonds is worth keeping, Nomar isn't. Will Bonds average as many walks as he did last year? No, probably not, but he'll still probably walk more than any other player. Could be a nice boost in August.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantFan666 » Sat May 14, 2005 1:55 pm

Most of the teams I have Bonds on are H2H leagues.. I'm hoping he peaks as the playoffs are in full swing for us... I think Nomar is supposed to be out until like Labor Day...It's anyone's guess w/ Bonds although I am hoping he'll be back just before the AS break
or shortly after
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat May 14, 2005 2:14 pm

tough question, but I'm going to say bonds because we know when to expect nomar, but with bonds not only do we not know when to expect him he has little desire to play.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers