Boston closer situation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Boston closer situation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Sat May 14, 2005 12:57 pm

jkpigskin wrote:foulke was lights out in the postseason last year.. he had a sick change up..(that renteria atbat when renteria swang about 2 seconds after the ball went past him)

so its puzzling y foulke is struggling.. maybe he is injured :-o

Velocity's down a bit. I think he'll be fine soon enough, despite the heavy workload over the last year or two. Since he relies more on a changeup than a heavy breaking pitch, he doesn't exert as much stress on his arm than say, Flash Gordon, who has a nice hook.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby klvrdude » Sat May 14, 2005 1:22 pm

jkpigskin wrote:so its puzzling y foulke is struggling.. maybe he is injured :-o

I agree his play has been puzzling, but I don't think he's injured which, to me, means its a mental problem....which can be more severe than a physical problem. :-o :-P
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wavetide007 » Sat May 14, 2005 1:26 pm

klvrdude wrote:
jkpigskin wrote:so its puzzling y foulke is struggling.. maybe he is injured :-o

I agree his play has been puzzling, but I don't think he's injured which, to me, means its a mental problem....which can be more severe than a physical problem. :-o :-P

Didn't you hear...

Foulke is on the Yankee's payroll
wavetide007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nomar4prez » Sat May 14, 2005 2:59 pm

warrick95 wrote:
jkpigskin wrote:foulke was lights out in the postseason last year.. he had a sick change up..(that renteria atbat when renteria swang about 2 seconds after the ball went past him)

so its puzzling y foulke is struggling.. maybe he is injured :-o

Velocity's down a bit. I think he'll be fine soon enough, despite the heavy workload over the last year or two. Since he relies more on a changeup than a heavy breaking pitch, he doesn't exert as much stress on his arm than say, Flash Gordon, who has a nice hook.

True, and he's also just not hitting his spots. Thats what made him so good in the past. He was able to locate his fastball and setup his change. But, so far this year, he's been leaving the pitches up in the zone, and players have been crushing him. Once he gets his control back, he'll be his old dominant self.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rmeesig » Sat May 14, 2005 4:45 pm

a friend of mine summed it up pretty nicely after the blown saves vs the A's (Byrnes) this past week.

The Foulke delivery of the last 4 years has a pause at the top with the ball hidden behind his head, and then he would explode at the batter. Between the delivery and the deception, he could make his 90-91 mph fastball get to the batter like it was 3-4 mph quicker.

That delivery hasn't beeen seen in 2005. It could be a mechanical problem that's making Keith rush through that pause and costing him speed on the fastball (and it was 86-87 today and 89-90 the last three outings previously). It could also be an injury issue he's trying to work out.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GSes » Sat May 14, 2005 5:13 pm

ive said in the past that kolb would lost his job and some other guys would lose their job b/c they are struggiling, etc.

in this case were not talking bout danny kolb, were talking about a REAL CLOSER in Keith "just plain" Foulke

The Foulke Hero
The Foulkeinator
Foulke a Mania
Super Folulke

he is a top tier closer, and the sox are not going to remove him unless he goes on the DL

unlike kolb

Foulke is a big time, ESTABLISHED closer.

i think he will get it together...........im gonna try and trade for him as i dont have him on any teams.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat May 14, 2005 5:20 pm

Who is going to take the job from him? Mantei? Hes a bum :-D . Foulke is struggling, but he won't be losing his job anytime soon unless he gets hurt.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Sat May 14, 2005 7:55 pm

keith is just depressed about the nhl lockout. so the red sox might import some european hockey tapes, but they aren't exporting foulke. hold on to him.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers