Watch Out For A Closer Turning Into a Setup Man - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Watch Out For A Closer Turning Into a Setup Man

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Watch Out For A Closer Turning Into a Setup Man

Postby Guest » Fri May 23, 2003 4:56 pm

The Yanks are in dire need of a setup man, minus Steve Karsay for the season, and may have inquired about such closers as Billy Koch, Armando Benitez, and Mike Williams to setup. That's always a killer for fantasy owners.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Fri May 23, 2003 5:13 pm

Also, Uggy Urbina, Antonio Alfonseca and Kelvim Escobar are rumoured to be possible trade targets for the Yankees as Rivera's setup man.

Here are the salaries of the rumoured setup candidates:

Benitez 6,967,500
Urbina 4,500,000
Koch 4,250,000
Alfonseca 4,000,000
Escobar 3,900,000
Williams 3,500,000

You would think that Benitez would be a little too expensive for them to get as a setup man, but the other guys could well be up for grabs. I would think Williams and Escobar are the most likely candidates, because the Jays are dying to get rid of Escobar and the Pirates want to dump Williams' contract.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fife76 » Fri May 23, 2003 5:20 pm

You would think he would be too expensive, but with The Boss, no one is.
fife76
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ondeckb » Fri May 23, 2003 6:49 pm

Yup, it's a sad state of affairs when megarich owners can take front line players to ride their pine as backups or setup guys.
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdh » Fri May 23, 2003 6:54 pm

Why would be want Benitez though, if he can get Williams and pay him half as much?
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat May 24, 2003 3:34 am

jdh wrote:Why would be want Benitez though, if he can get Williams and pay him half as much?

And you would have to believe that Mike could easily overtake Rivera .. If not this year .. Next. How old is Rivera anyways? mid to late 30's ..right? I forget..Mike is sooo underrated ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby jdh » Sat May 24, 2003 12:45 pm

Rivera is listed as 33, 34 in November. Williams is 35, so he's actually older. I don't think Williams is overrated. He has been blowing saves left right and center all year and has an ERA over 7.00.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DanteNoX » Sat May 24, 2003 12:52 pm

What?? Williams overtaking Rivera? Insanity.. Rivera is still a top closer in the game, you realize.
Yankees for life
DanteNoX
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdh » Sat May 24, 2003 12:52 pm

Here is what RotoWorld.com is reporting on Benitez:

Armando Benitez - R - New York Mets May 24

The New York Daily News says there is a report that the Yankees have inquired about Armando Benitez.
Mets' GM Steve Phillips would not comment. The Yankees are looking for ways to replace Steve Karsay. Benitez would lose nearly all value in such a deal unless Mariano Rivera got hurt. If Benitez is traded and Scott Strickland has elbow surgery, the Mets could have a free-for-all for save opportunities among Mike Stanton, David Weathers, and even John Franco. Source: New York Daily News

Since Benitez is my primary closer, this makes me very nervous. Should I consider trading him away in case this happens? I can't get Foulke, Sasaki, Percival or Wagner for him. The best I could hope to get would be like Jose Mesa or Billy Koch.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun May 25, 2003 12:00 pm

I wouldn't worry too much yet. The Yankees are always inquiring about players even if you don't hear about it. I'll bet there's at least 10 other guys the Yanks are looking at, and that's just relief pitchers.
Wouldn't it be ironic if The Yankees got Benitez, people gave up on Benitez, and then Rivera got hurt again making Benitez the closer?
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers