Ervin Santana called up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ervin Santana called up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ervin Santana called up?

Postby hybrid » Sat May 14, 2005 1:11 am

Nothing offiicial from the Angels yet that I can see, but the recent wrap up on his AA start seems to think he has been called up to the majors.

"Santana was pulled after 2 1/3 hitless innings because the Los Angeles Angels called him up to the Majors. With Kelvim Escobar returning to the disabled list, Santana could take his spot in the rotation. The right-hander was 5-1 with a 2.31 ERA with Arkansas. --Eric Justic/MLB.com"

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... x_arkaax_1
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikegp » Sat May 14, 2005 1:14 am

Wow...this is certainly interesting. I really didn't expect them to call him up this year. Hopefully this article is true because he's definitly a young guy I'd love to grab off waivers. Pitched very well in spring training(if i remember correctly) Good find!
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby donut » Sat May 14, 2005 1:16 am

no they're not calling up santana. he needs to stay in the minors. he's not major league ready yet. they're calling up chris bootcheck. the angles have yet to decide who will pitch...either bootcheck or kevin gregg.
donut Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat May 14, 2005 1:17 am

Good to see another Johan Santana up in the big leagues ;-D I always did like this kid, should be interesting to see what he can do with the big club. ;-D

For those who don't know Ervin Santana changed is name from Johan a few years back ;-)
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Re: Santana call-up

Postby someone25 » Sat May 14, 2005 1:19 am

What a shame!

And I had plans to go see the Travs this coming week and probably could have seen Santana...hopefully he'll be able to come back after his work in the majors but he'll probably wind up going to AAA instead if he does well.

Darn! I'll need to settle seeing Aybar and Callaspo ;-)

A side note: I live 3 hours away from the Travs HQ, so I don't catch many of the games. I live closer to the Cardinals AA affiliate but that doesn't make me their fan though.

I'll let you know my thoughts on Aybar-Callaspo play as they are likely the future 2B-SS of the Anaheim Angels.

I've missed: KRod, Figgins, McPherson, Kotchman, Mathis, and now possibly Santana...ever since I've wanted to get down to see the Travs a few years ago.
someone25
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hybrid » Sat May 14, 2005 1:21 am

donut wrote:no they're not calling up santana. he needs to stay in the minors. he's not major league ready yet. they're calling up chris bootcheck. the angles have yet to decide who will pitch...either bootcheck or kevin gregg.

It's possible that is the case and Ervin is just being promoted to AAA, that way he fills in for Bootcheck. Though the Angels have done nothing official yet so it could be Ervin, it's obvious he is moving somewhere otherwise they wouldn't of pulled him in the middle of a game.

From their AA site:

"Santana was pulled after retiring seven straight hitters following a leadoff walk in the first inning. The only reason given for his early departure was that he might be needed at higher levels of the Angels organization."
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Bukoski77 » Sat May 14, 2005 1:40 am

I have K. Escobar and loseing him hurts. My pitching staff was just coming together enough to where I felt comfortable having 5 solid pitchers to use each week.

I have Santana in that league also. I hope the Angels dont call him up. He just isnt ready. I havent looked into his stats at all this year. From what I remember , (sorry no referance where I got this from), he projects as a 2nd in the rotation borderline ace several years from now but still needs to physichaly develop. Pretty much his stuff is supposed to be real good but he doesnt have the stamina for the Majors yet. Ala, better hitters will make him work much longer pitch counts and his full count go to pitch isnt quite good enough yet and will be exposed in the Majors.

I dont want to make a roster drop in that league for him either as being a keeper league I have plans for him.

K. Gregg and S. Shields are both accomplished innings eater who can fill in well for a start. I dont see why they would risk shaking the confidence of a guy who should be moved to AAA and only given a MLB call up late August if he does well in AAA.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Punisher » Sat May 14, 2005 2:27 am

That would be interesting to see if he gets called up but I agree that it might be kind of early for him to get the call. I mean Im pretty sure that hes pretty young and I'm just not sure if hes ready. I didn't know they would put him in the rotation, I thought the Angel's have meant for him to be a reliever and he sort of has the electric stuff to be a closer. Anyway that would be even better if he goes to Triple A because Anaheim's Triple A affiliate Salt Lake is playing in Omaha I think this weekend where I live so I might get to check out the game(I dont ever follow the Omaha Royals but I like to look at upcoming games to see if there are some hot prospects facing them)
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Sat May 14, 2005 2:56 am

The Punisher wrote:Anyway that would be even better if he goes to Triple A because Anaheim's Triple A affiliate Salt Lake is playing in Omaha I think this weekend where I live so I might get to check out the game(I dont ever follow the Omaha Royals but I like to look at upcoming games to see if there are some hot prospects facing them)

Hey, if he goes to AAA and you see him ... can you give us an report on him? I'd appreciate it. ;-D
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Sign of Eth » Sat May 14, 2005 8:05 am

From today's Orange County Register.

"Friday night's postponement creates another headache for the Angels, who already needed a starting pitcher to take injured Kelvim Escobar's spot Tuesday. Now, they will need a starter Wednesday, too.

Manager Mike Scioscia said it's possible one of today's pitchers, Bartolo Colon or Jarrod Washburn, could come back on three days rest to pitch Wednesday. But that would only be if one of them has a short outing - fewer than 80 pitches - today.

If not, the Angels will pick two pitchers from among reliever Kevin Gregg, Triple-A right-hander Chris Bootcheck and Double-A pitchers Ervin Santana, Steven Shell and Joe Saunders."

If it's true that Santana is getting a call up then I'd guess it would be for one game only and either Gregg or Bootcheck will take Escobar's spot in the rotation.
Sign of Eth
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers