What's up with Pineiro? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's up with Pineiro?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's up with Pineiro?

Postby Titanic Grizzlie » Sat May 14, 2005 1:02 am

Alot of people in here were pimping him as a really nice late round SP coming into the season. He did face some injuries last year, and the hope was that he would return to 2002 or 2003 form when he was a semi-stud/Ace in the making.

So what's going on through 5 games:

2-3 , 5.66 ERA, 1.40 WHIP

Anyone Seattle homers gor people who have watched him pitch this year got any thoughts on what is not working?
Titanic Grizzlie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 382
Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What's up with Pineiro?

Postby wavetide007 » Sat May 14, 2005 1:06 am

Titanic Grizzlie wrote:Alot of people in here were pimping him as a really nice late round SP coming into the season. He did face some injuries last year, and the hope was that he would return to 2002 or 2003 form when he was a semi-stud/Ace in the making.

So what's going on through 5 games:

2-3 , 5.66 ERA, 1.40 WHIP

Anyone Seattle homers gor people who have watched him pitch this year got any thoughts on what is not working?



tell you what

I was watching the game tonight and the ball was flying out of safeco tonight. I believe 5 or 6 homers tonight.

But Pineiro's problem is that he isn't being aggressive.. he's timid and he isn't taking the game into his own hands. I think out of 16 or 17 batters he only threw 4 or 5 first pitch strikes if even that.

He threw way too many changeups and the velocity on his fastball is down, barely broke 90mph tonight.

If he can get his velocity up and be more aggressive I can see him turning it around but he needs confidence. He's a very tender man.
wavetide007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 636
Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What's up with Pineiro?

Postby wavetide007 » Sat May 14, 2005 1:10 am

wavetide007 wrote:
Titanic Grizzlie wrote:Alot of people in here were pimping him as a really nice late round SP coming into the season. He did face some injuries last year, and the hope was that he would return to 2002 or 2003 form when he was a semi-stud/Ace in the making.

So what's going on through 5 games:

2-3 , 5.66 ERA, 1.40 WHIP

Anyone Seattle homers gor people who have watched him pitch this year got any thoughts on what is not working?



tell you what

I was watching the game tonight and the ball was flying out of safeco tonight. I believe 5 or 6 homers tonight.

But Pineiro's problem is that he isn't being aggressive.. he's timid and he isn't taking the game into his own hands. I think out of 16 or 17 batters he only threw 4 or 5 first pitch strikes if even that.

He threw way too many changeups and the velocity on his fastball is down, barely broke 90mph tonight.

If he can get his velocity up and be more aggressive I can see him turning it around but he needs confidence. He's a very tender man.


did i mention this was tonight, tonight?
wavetide007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 636
Joined: 17 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Sat May 14, 2005 1:20 am

Such a shame. I remember coming into 04, alot of "experts" tipping him for a Cy Young type season. :,-(
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby Surfs up » Sat May 14, 2005 10:05 am

Maybe most of you expect to much from him? Is he really that good? Hes' had some nice games over the past few years but he hasn't been a top tier pitcher.He's also been a health risk. Not all that dependable.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4787
(Past Year: 184)
Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat May 14, 2005 10:15 am

I'm not sure what's wrong with him. I drafted him as a semi-sleeper and expected solid production. I'm not ready to drop him yet, but I have been benching him. Possibly, all the time he's missed has made him rusty. He might be able to pull it together.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Posts: 3235
Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What's up with Pineiro?

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat May 14, 2005 10:16 am

wavetide007 wrote:
Titanic Grizzlie wrote:Alot of people in here were pimping him as a really nice late round SP coming into the season. He did face some injuries last year, and the hope was that he would return to 2002 or 2003 form when he was a semi-stud/Ace in the making.

So what's going on through 5 games:

2-3 , 5.66 ERA, 1.40 WHIP

Anyone Seattle homers gor people who have watched him pitch this year got any thoughts on what is not working?



tell you what

I was watching the game tonight and the ball was flying out of safeco tonight. I believe 5 or 6 homers tonight.

But Pineiro's problem is that he isn't being aggressive.. he's timid and he isn't taking the game into his own hands. I think out of 16 or 17 batters he only threw 4 or 5 first pitch strikes if even that.

He threw way too many changeups and the velocity on his fastball is down, barely broke 90mph tonight.

If he can get his velocity up and be more aggressive I can see him turning it around but he needs confidence. He's a very tender man.


ok, who logged in under wavetide's name?

:-b
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 261)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby amich1 » Sat May 14, 2005 1:59 pm

i'm a piniero owner & also follow the m's pretty closely. I think the biggest problems w/ piniero is that he has faced tough teams early. He's been shelled twice by boston & by anaheim. No real shame in that, he is coming back from an injury & didn't pitch in spring training. I'd bench him next week against the yankees, they usually shell him. Piniero & the mariners offense should start to hit their stride when they get to face some easier competition in another week. Either that, or the M's might just suck again this yr. Too early to say at this point. In any event, Piniero's K/9 should go up & whip/era go down going forward (after the yankees series)
J.Lo? I knew her back when they said "Hey, ho".
amich1
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 255
Joined: 17 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Sat May 14, 2005 6:03 pm

Surfs up wrote:Maybe most of you expect to much from him? Is he really that good? Hes' had some nice games over the past few years but he hasn't been a top tier pitcher.He's also been a health risk. Not all that dependable.


He's not a top tier pitcher but when he's on his game he can be a solid #3 or #4 option for a fantasy team. He definitely has the potential to be a very good pitcher and he has shown it in the Majors.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Sat May 14, 2005 8:56 pm

I think wavetide had it right. His fastball is only hitting 88 - 90 so he's afraid to throw it. Last night he was throwing changeups and often falling behind because he couldn't find his spots. Everyone was sitting dead red when it went 2-0 or 3-1 and he was getting hit hard. Unless Pineiro can regain some zip on his fastball, he's probably only worth starting in extremely favorable matchups.
HighPlainsDrifter
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 3
Joined: 22 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 5:19 hours
(and 100 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact