Brett Boone, Why does Yahoo have him ranked so high? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brett Boone, Why does Yahoo have him ranked so high?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brett Boone, Why does Yahoo have him ranked so high?

Postby Slump Busters » Fri May 13, 2005 11:01 pm

Boone is preseason ranked #53 overall which is a very high ranking for a 2nd baseman. I am only in my second year of Fantasy baseball and may not understand, but why is he ranked so high? Were there expectataions for a big season in 2005? Because when I see his final 2004 rankings he is not really that good.

Main reason is he just hit the waiver wire, and after looking at his stats from years past, I now understand why. Plus he has never hit for average so his OB% stinks.

Just dont understand the high ranking? :-t
Slump Busters
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Top Dog » Sat May 14, 2005 12:35 am

The reason Boone is ranked so high is that the O-rankings in yahoo is based on a 3 year average. And there are very few 2nd baseman that average 30+ HRs & 90+ RBIs.

Here are some stats over the bast few years

2001 37 hrs 141 rbis
2002 24 hrs 107 rbis
2003 35 hrs 117 rbis
2004 24 hrs 83 rbis

How many other 2nd baseman (outside of Kent) can you produce that have that kind of power?

Considering that Boone is one of the most powerful 2nd baseman in the game, his ranking is a little more understandable.
Top Dog
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby gws226 » Sat May 14, 2005 1:15 am

I always find the O rank extremely helpful in drafts. most people only have the first 5 rounds pegged, then just sorta browse the list of people for adds, if the O rank has someone unjustly high you can usually snag him a little later in the draft then where you have him marked.

Research always pays off.

If your new to FB, just post your considerations here... its seems most of the posters here can give honest evalutations of whether the player is an improvement to your lineup (and not an improvement in your O rank)

As for Boones O rank, yes its high...... yes he is not that good anymore, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't grab, alot of people have cashed in high picks on him the last two years and got burned. If he's available in your league, you should consider grabbing him if your not strong @ 2b
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Slump Busters » Sat May 14, 2005 1:51 am

My current 2B are Lugo and I added Grudzilanik (sp.?). I like Lugo for his steal potential and I like Gruds for his overall average and runs scored. Although neither will produce the power numbers of Boone they each have their role and add to the bottom line, but overall a Boone may be a better play over the long haul? However Boone's numbers, especially this year, are not that much more impressive than some of the other players who are playing 2B.

I guess my overall concern is with Boone is that he may end up very mediocre this season and would not be justified to add to my roster. Opinions? Especially from those of you who have good Mariner team info.
Slump Busters
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers