Any filmmakers here, who can help me? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Any filmmakers here, who can help me?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any filmmakers here, who can help me?

Postby Phatferd » Fri May 13, 2005 4:34 pm

I have a friend who is going to be applying to a film school in a few months and needs to start a portfolio. He wrote a script and wants to shoot it this summer. He doesn't know a lot of things and is trying to read as much as he can to learn about camcorders. He has a budget around $3,000 for a camera.

He know he wants a camera that will look as close to a movie shown in theaters quality. I dunno how close he can come to this with a $3,000 budget. What things does he need to really look for in a camera, that he may not know? He also wants a camera that stays really still, meaning if he move his hand while filming the picture it won't shake and it will remain still when you watch it.

Can anyone suggest some good cameras and maybe the best place to purchase them? I checked out Fotoconnection.com and they seem to have good prices, but I dunno how reliable the place is.

Thanks guys.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby BigMusky » Fri May 13, 2005 5:04 pm

I didnt know a camcorder could cost that much. Interesting.

This article might be worth the 10 bucks if he is really going to invest that much. It is about features you need for professional quality.

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/summary ... ferid=2090
Image
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2780
Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "Milla-walk-ay"

Re: Any filmmakers here, who can help me?

Postby WharfRat » Fri May 13, 2005 5:17 pm

Phatferd wrote:I have a friend who is going to be applying to a film school in a few months and needs to start a portfolio. He wrote a script and wants to shoot it this summer. He doesn't know a lot of things and is trying to read as much as he can to learn about camcorders. He has a budget around $3,000 for a camera.

He know he wants a camera that will look as close to a movie shown in theaters quality. I dunno how close he can come to this with a $3,000 budget. What things does he need to really look for in a camera, that he may not know? He also wants a camera that stays really still, meaning if he move his hand while filming the picture it won't shake and it will remain still when you watch it.

Can anyone suggest some good cameras and maybe the best place to purchase them? I checked out Fotoconnection.com and they seem to have good prices, but I dunno how reliable the place is.

Thanks guys.


What schools is he applying to? I was a film major my freshman year.

Just to warn you, I doubt anybody will be expecting much from an entry portfolio. They're looking for potential, not a polished product. What are you doing about sound? That's important too, don't underestimate it. I don't remember much from my film school days, tho....
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3056
Joined: 27 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Walking my fish

Postby Phatferd » Fri May 13, 2005 5:32 pm

He's going to Long Beach State, he is a typical Film Student slacked off in HS, then has done well in JC, but math holds him back a bit so he is limited to where he can get in.

He is making an effort to get into Chapman University, but its an uphill fight.

BTW, sound is one of his biggest worries. What accessories does he need to forecast in his budget for sound. How well do the onboard microphones work?

We found a site that has a Canon XL2 for like $1900 bucks. I dunno how solid the site is. http://www.digitalliquidators.com/detai ... CDOIOGDGIA

Another thing we have come across is cameras that also have PAL versions which cost about $500 more. What is PAL?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby shpuck » Fri May 13, 2005 10:00 pm

Here's a site I used to help me with my $600 Camcorder and getting rolling. I just saw a "Professional Camcorder" forum on the site, so it might help.
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 469
Joined: 13 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Goleta, CA

Postby Phatferd » Fri May 13, 2005 11:09 pm

shpuck wrote:Here's a site I used to help me with my $600 Camcorder and getting rolling. I just saw a "Professional Camcorder" forum on the site, so it might help.


Am I missing something? :-?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri May 13, 2005 11:51 pm

Phatferd wrote:
shpuck wrote:Here's a site I used to help me with my $600 Camcorder and getting rolling. I just saw a "Professional Camcorder" forum on the site, so it might help.


Am I missing something? :-?


No, I think he forgot to add the link. :-D
Image
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 6480
Joined: 6 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Swiping second

Postby Madison » Sat May 14, 2005 12:11 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Phatferd wrote:
shpuck wrote:Here's a site I used to help me with my $600 Camcorder and getting rolling. I just saw a "Professional Camcorder" forum on the site, so it might help.


Am I missing something? :-?


No, I think he forgot to add the link. :-D


Maybe he used invisible ink? :-D

Might want to PM him to get the link. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Pablo975 » Sat May 14, 2005 4:46 am

Head to http://www.viewaskew.com

Read up on Kevin Smith, who is a film school dropout who financed his own first flick (Clerks) by maxing his credit cards, bumming money from family and friends, and selling almost everything he owned. For those who have never seen it, Clerks is probably the worst looking movie ever made, but off the charts hysterical.

Point is, a nice camera isn't as important as a good script/story.

However, if all that is strong, post on Kevins board with this question. He personally resonds quite a bit as do the other filmmakers that frequent the board.

Hope that helps.....
Image

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 969
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 21 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Mobile, AL

Postby shpuck » Sat May 14, 2005 2:04 pm

Oops!

Sorry guys and gals. I was in a rush. I Ctrl-C'd it, just didn't Ctrl-V.

Here you go:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
shpuck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 469
Joined: 13 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Goleta, CA

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Sep. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact