Tyler Walker

Postby cadets1 » Fri May 13, 2005 4:09 pm

is he worth a pick up?
cadets1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby quicksilver8 » Fri May 13, 2005 4:13 pm

If you like a few saves at the expense of a poor era and whip...the grab him....I'm staying away.
Official Member of the Andruw Jones hosed me fan club
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby phunkadelic » Fri May 13, 2005 4:25 pm

Only if you're desperate for saves and have a semi-open roster spot.

I personally think he has an OK chance of sticking as the closer for a little while. He had a 2.42 K/BB ratio in the minors which is extremely good. In 52 appearances for the Giants last year, he had a 2.00 K/BB ratio, which again is very good.

On the other hand, he does give up alot of hits, and he has essentially no experience closing game in the majors or otherwise.

I picked him up in my NL-only league, but am staying away from him in all my mixed leagues (for now).
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Bloody Nipples » Fri May 13, 2005 10:57 pm

The only reason I would pick him up would be because he went to my high school and I'm a Giants fan. Other than that, and maybe a few scattered saves, he is not a fantasy producer by any means.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Sat May 14, 2005 1:09 am

1-2-3 save for him tonight. Turnbow Jr. perhaps? I only picked him up in a league I had a spot for him in (dropped Brazoban in a non holds league). He's had trouble with his control this year and has a huge WHIP but there was some blurb recently about Alou telling him not to throw as hard (see the Turnbow correlations here?) and he's gotten two saves since.

I think he's worth a gamble anyway. You don't have to put him in the lineup if you're not feeling confident but I'm sure you could do worse with a spare roster spot.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Punisher » Sat May 14, 2005 2:31 am

Hes worth the spot if you have a roster spot and need some saves but I wouldnt really be too interested in him as a long term closer option, hell screw up your ERA and WHIP and his control aint the best although it mustve improved. Anyway go ahead and take a shot at him if you can afford losing anybody for some cheap saves
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rlee » Sat May 14, 2005 11:10 am

If you're desperate forf saves, he's worth the risk, but beware his 1.80 WHIP. Alou is just pushing buttons looking to catch lightning in a bottle.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby citti34 » Sat May 14, 2005 11:22 am

Grab him if you have a spot. If he gets rocked, .2 innings isn't going to ruin your team era or whip.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TownDrunk » Sat May 14, 2005 12:40 pm

He's the closer now, as Alou likes his mindset. Walker had once said that his goal was to become a major league closer.

With that said, I don't think he lasts too long. Yeah, he looks good so far, but if you watch his delivery, it can cause him to be a bit wild in the zone.

Pick him if you really need saves, but I wouldn't hold my breath on him.
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby baseball6791 » Sat May 14, 2005 12:52 pm

yeah, he might be worth a pickup if u need saves. i was watching the game last night and the announcers were talking about how rags (dave righetti - giants pitching coach) had been getting him not to overthrow every fastball, saying that a 95 mph heater thats belt high or way wild is worse than a 92 mph heater with good location and that has supposedly helped him out a lot. it is also true that before the year when someone asked him if he wanted to go back to starting he said, "No, i want to close", and of any of the guys in the giants pen he seems to have the best mindset and the best chance to take the job for good
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers