Cubbies interested in 2 Devil Rays (Huff & Baez) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cubbies interested in 2 Devil Rays (Huff & Baez)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cubbies interested in 2 Devil Rays (Huff & Baez)

Postby Krunk City King$ » Fri May 13, 2005 2:19 pm

i had huff last season and i am trying to trade for him. i would love to see him in atlanta in the real world but in wrigley in the fantasy world.....

this is new news to me, sorry if it was posted before.....

Hendry must get cracking on Cubs' wish list
May 8, 2005
BY CHRIS DE LUCA STAFF REPORTER

This is uncharted territory for the Cubs during the Dusty Baker era: seven consecutive losses, five games under .500, hope fading as the boos grow louder at Wrigley Field.

The catchphrase has gone from ''Why not us?'' to ''Why us?''

Try putting a finger on exactly what's wrong with the Cubs, and you soon run out of hands. The starting pitching has been so-so, the hitting -- outside of Derrek Lee -- has been worse than even the lowest expectations predicted and the defense has been shoddy.

Don't even mention the bullpen.

Five weeks of the 2005 season has been enough proof that the Cubs need help -- soon.

Don't look for Baker to get fired or for general manager Jim Hendry to find a pink slip. Their jobs are safe, but a personnel change has to be expected.

Hendry is in the market for many of the same things other disappointing teams are seeking -- a closer, a bat with some pop, a fresh face. If the market is thin with those items in July, the shelves are downright empty this time of year.

That won't stop Hendry from at least trying.

The next few weeks will show how serious the Cubs are about trying to get back on track before it's too late.

And don't believe crazy rumors such as the Cubs getting Roger Clemens from the Houston Astros. If the Astros were to trade Clemens, the Yankees or Red Sox would be the only teams with reasonable shots at landing the Rocket. But Astros owner Drayton McLane says Clemens is not available to anyone.

Here are five players who have popped up on the Cubs' radar:

Danys Baez, Devil Rays right-hander

He entered Saturday 3-0 with a 2.70 ERA and two saves in three chances for a team that doesn't create many save opportunities. The Devil Rays are one of those rare teams that know they have no shot at the postseason -- even in early May -- so trading their closer isn't that insane.

The Rays seem ripe for a trade, but general manager Chuck LaMar has turned off other GMs in the past by demanding too much for his marginal talent. The Rangers, Giants and Marlins also are interested in the 27-year-old Baez, who will make $3.75 million this season, and might have a better shot at giving the Devil Rays the starting pitcher they want in return.

Aubrey Huff, Devil Rays right fielder

The Cubs had interest in Huff, 28, during the offseason, and the Devil Rays were cool to all offers. But with Huff in manager Lou Piniella's doghouse, the timing might be right for another phone call from Hendry. The left-handed-hitting Huff entered Saturday batting .271 with two homers and 21 RBI.

Huff makes $4.9 million, and the cost-conscious Devil Rays might be willing to swap him for the lower-priced Jason Dubois ($320,000), who can't seem to crack Baker's lineup despite a .310 average, three homers and nine RBI in 29 at-bats.

If Baker is reluctant to use Dubois -- stubbornly sticking with the weak-hitting Todd Hollandsworth -- maybe a veteran such as Huff would suit his needs.

Jorge Julio, Orioles right-hander

The Cubs tried to get him during the offseason but were simply happy the Orioles took Sammy Sosa off their hands. The Giants and Marlins also are interested in Julio, 26, who entered Saturday with a 1-0 record and 0.59 ERA in 14 outings. He is setting up closer B.J. Ryan, but Julio is seen as a clear closer candidate for someone.

Here's the wrinkle: The Orioles want a starting pitcher who can help them now, not an unproven prospect such as Sergio Mitre, who is about the best the Cubs can offer without damaging their rotation.

Jose Mesa, Pirates right-hander

Right now, he's baseball's best closer. Mesa, who turns 39 on May 22, entered Saturday 10-for-10 in save situations with a 1.80 ERA. Mesa is earning $2 million, so he fits into the Pirates' budget. But if the Pirates continue to sink in the Central, they might be willing to shed a closer who is not part of their future.

The Pirates are interested in a powerful bat and thought they had Jeromy Burnitz ready to sign as a free agent this winter, just before the Cubs made the Sammy Sosa trade, then grabbed Burnitz. The sticking point is the Pirates won't listen to any offers for Mesa until July -- possibly too late to suit the Cubs' needs.

He still might be worth pursuing. Last month, he told the Sun-Times he would be willing to pitch for Baker if a trade could be worked out.

Felix Rodriguez, Yankees right-hander

The veteran reliever is getting squeezed out of the Yankees' mediocre bullpen and has drawn a surprisingly decent amount of interest. The Marlins have joined the Cubs in their pursuit of a pitcher who will do little more than beef up the middle-relief corps -- hardly the key to turning a season around.

Rodriguez has a 5.40 ERA and has allowed 13 hits and seven walks in 11-2/3 innings. He makes more sense for a winning team such as the Marlins, who can offer the veteran right-handed bat of Jeff Conine the Yankees want, instead of a Cubs club seeking a boost.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst ... ris08.html
Last edited by Krunk City King$ on Fri May 13, 2005 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Fri May 13, 2005 2:24 pm

ah the joys of having huff in a lineup thats hits and can offer him protection. gives me a warm fuzzy feeling all over. ;-D
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Irish » Fri May 13, 2005 2:29 pm

Yeah, I freakin' hate having Huff right now. If he goes to the Cubs, my team is edging on ridiculous territory. ;-D
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dmville » Fri May 13, 2005 2:35 pm

Hopefull they'll give Dubois a fair chance to prove himself. The guy just doesn't belong in AAA anymore and sitting him on the bench won't help anyone.

I would be suprised if they traded him though. He's been a homegrown project and I believe Cub fans would go nuts if the traded him at this point as he's all the Cubs could talk about for the last two years as "the next big thing". Not that management should listen to fans all the time. But it would be a slap in the face if he does all they expect of him (has so far IMO) and they still trade him.

I guess there is one deciding factor--If Huff ever played for Baker in the SF organization, he is a lock to come to CHC. :-D
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Box » Fri May 13, 2005 2:57 pm

Here's another Huff owner crossing his fingers for Wrigley. :-D
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Andy1234 » Fri May 13, 2005 3:27 pm

it seems like Huff/Baez rumers have been around for a long long time - as a Cubs fan I would love to see both of them in Cubby Blue - Hopefully without having to give up Dubois.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby hookem2003 » Fri May 13, 2005 3:59 pm

I've been hoping the Rangers could find a way to get Huff and Baez. God knows we need a set-up man and a RF. Plus, Huff is from the area and I think he might like hitting in that lineup.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri May 13, 2005 4:02 pm

Talk about an upgrade for Huff...

Makes me mad I traded Huff for Chavez earlier in the year...
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Steelers Rule » Fri May 13, 2005 5:11 pm

i think the cubs should get all five of those guys mentioned above ;-D
Steelers Rule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Slow Pitch » Fri May 13, 2005 5:18 pm

WHile I would be sad to see Huff leave TB, my fantasy team would sure love it!!

;-D
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers