Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Andy Pettite

Postby Jumbo » Fri May 23, 2003 2:32 pm

WTF????? What's going on here?
Jumbo

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Fri May 23, 2003 2:39 pm

Petitte has never been a top tier starter, and has a career 3.98 ERA and 1.40 WHIP, so his current numbers aren't that far off what should have been expected. He'll probably end up with 12-15 wins and an ERA around 4.20.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DamnDodgers » Fri May 23, 2003 2:55 pm

pettite sucks, he'll get ya wins while hurting your whip and ERA. You can't bench him against good teams though, since he gets run support and will pitch a couple of gems throughout the season. I'm not a big fan of his, but I believe he's pretty clutch in big games.
DamnDodgers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dr.DooM » Fri May 23, 2003 6:37 pm

I never trusted Petitte. He's flaky and had elbow problems last year that was ominous. He's hyped in real life because he's a young lefty with a nasty cutter fastball, which is relatively uncommon. But in fantasy baseball, none of this hype means anything.

The cutter fastball has been known to destroy elbows. Ever since he had a "gap" in his elbow diagnosed last year, he's been trying to throw the pitch less frequently, which has hurt his effectiveness. It's only a matter of time before he signs up for Tommy John surgery.

Now for some good news. Of all the other Yankee pitchers, his schedule has been the toughest. There's a chance he'll do better once now that he'll be facing better matchups. I would look up some stats on a game-by-game basis to decide whether to play him or bench him.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers