Cleveland OF: sizemore, blake, crisp...gerut? juan-gon? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cleveland OF: sizemore, blake, crisp...gerut? juan-gon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby EK711 » Fri May 13, 2005 3:43 pm

Sizemore and Crisp pretty much have their spots in CF and LF barring any sort of horrible slump or freakish injury. Gerut's rehab assignment ends today, so the Indians can either call him up or assign him to AAA. In 8 games Gerut has batted .394 with 2 HR and 5 RBI, coming off of a 5/5 game last night with 2 doubles and a HR. Jody's bat is probably ready to come back up, but I don't know if he has the mobility right now to play the outfield well enough. If he can play in the OF then they should bring him up now, and Ryan Ludwick would be the one to get sent down. The Indians may let Jody get more comfortable down in the minors in so he can polish up his fielding, and so they can figure whose spot in the lineup he'll take when he does come up. I tend to agree with what others have posted before. That Boone and Blake are the one's on the hot seat. Boone may be in real trouble if he continues to struggle the next couple of weeks of getting cut, unless he agrees to go down to the minors.

As for Juan Gone his rehab starts today, and he could play 3 innings in the outfield tommorrow. Until he actually gets through rehab I would not consider him a factor.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby donny23 » Fri May 13, 2005 5:12 pm

I found this CBS article interesting too, especially since I have Crisp and Sizemore (and Boone hanging on a thread on the way end of my bench). Should I make room for Gerut? Will he still be able to steal bases after his surgery? I had Juan at one point but released im.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Fri May 13, 2005 5:15 pm

TB13 wrote:Unless Juan Gone is injured, I just cannot see Cleveland parking him on the bench. I think that one of Sizemore or Crisp (unless he shows drastic improvement) will be the odd-man out.

Crisp has been showing tremendous improvement lately, most noteably in his SB/CS ratio. The coaching staff has picked up on it. Don't think that will go unnoticed when you are dealing with a guy that can hit .300, 15 HR's and play great defense. I doubt he loses a spot. Sizemore is their future and is on a tear lately. I think Juan might be the odd man out. They might try to get him at bats but ultimately, once Gerut proves he's healthy, they might just cut their losses. Don't forget, if not for Gerut's injury in the first place, the Indians liekly never would have gone after Juan.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby EK711 » Fri May 13, 2005 5:22 pm

Looks like Gerut won't factor in immediately, he's staying in AAA...

AP wrote: CLEVELAND (AP) -- Indians outfielder Jody Gerut was activated from the 15-day disabled list Friday and optioned to Triple-A Buffalo, where he has been playing since May 3 while recovering from knee surgery.

Gerut, who homered and had five hits Thursday for the Bisons, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee last September. His rehab assignment at Buffalo ended Friday, and the Indians chose to use one of the two remaining options on the 27-year-old instead of bringing him up to the majors.

Gerut is batting .394 (13-for-33) with two homers and five RBIs in eight games at Buffalo.

Cleveland could use Gerut's bat in its sluggish lineup. The Indians have been mired in a season-long offensive slump and entered a three-game series against Toronto with a .237 team batting average -- the AL's second-worst.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby CPHFighter1 » Fri May 13, 2005 10:20 pm

From CBS:
LATEST NEWS
The Indians activated Jody Gerut (knee) from the 15-day disabled list and optioned him to Triple-A Buffalo Thursday.
(Updated 05/13/2005).
FANTASY ANALYSIS
Gerut could be called up within a couple weeks. He still needs some more work before coming back up with major league club.

From me:
Look at Sizemore's left/right splits. I haven't seen his minor leagues stats, but it looks like he can't hit lefties. I see a platoon.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Surfs up » Fri May 13, 2005 10:49 pm

Nothing shows Gerut will hit. he hit two years ago but didn't do much last year.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 190)

Postby EK711 » Fri May 13, 2005 11:02 pm

CPHFighter1 wrote:From me:
Look at Sizemore's left/right splits. I haven't seen his minor leagues stats, but it looks like he can't hit lefties. I see a platoon.

Although Cleveland does let him hit everynow and then against lefties because he's their best defensive centerfielder, they do a sort of mini platoon with Sizemore right now getting his days off against lefties, Crisp moves to center and Jose Hernandez plays in left. I'm not sure if you're implying that Cleveland would start to platoon him when Gerut comes back. If you meant that Sizemore would platoon with Gerut that's definately not the case. Gerut can't hit lefties either.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby CPHFighter1 » Fri May 13, 2005 11:29 pm

Yeah, I didn't really dig any deeper than that, so I left some question marks in my statement. I was just responding to those that had listed him as a full time starter even when Gerut returns.
Thanks for the info, EK.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers