Why are people im my league so stupid - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why are people im my league so stupid

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why are people im my league so stupid

Postby gses » Fri May 23, 2003 2:28 pm

I dont understand why these idiots believe that closers are the most important postin. One guy drtafted 1- 5 Smoltz, Gagne, Percival, Wagner, Sasaki. Whats is that? Then they believe that hot players like Mondesi are worth nothing. Next they have droped many good players. Here is a list of some of the FA talent at some point this year.

Torii Hunter
Odalis Perez
Wade Miller
Nomo
Woody Williams
Durazo

And back to the closer thing, I was laughed at when I offered Mondesi for Sasaki.
gses


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Fri May 23, 2003 3:04 pm

I wouldn't have laughed at you, but I will tell you Mondesi is not worth Sasaki. I agree with your league on that one. Just barely not worth him but nonetheless not worth him.

As for the guy that drafted closers 1-5, What do you care? Let him crash and burn in all other categories besides saves and then when he gets desperate give him less than equal value for 1 or 2 of his closers. be patient and you'll outlast his patience if he's an active league participant. If he's not then that's how it goes and be glad none of the other contending teams have any of these closers either.

I also don't find it outrageous that those players you pointed out were on the wire at some point. It's dumb I'll give you that but I've seen worse. Last year a guy released Shawn Green to make room for a non-struggling outfielder and I picked him up. The very next day he hit 4 homeruns in a game. How's that for a christmas present in springtime?!
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 238
Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Fri May 23, 2003 3:06 pm

Some people have a bizzare obsession with closers, and in leagues where there are no minimum innings, some people use the strategy of having no starting pitchers and a pitching staff built of all closers, reasoning that it allows them to dominate in ERA, WHIP and saves. In reality, it's a really dumb strategy because you are throwing away wins, K's, and putting your offense in a hole.

I also would not have given you Sasaki for Mondesi, because that isn't enough to get for a top 10 closer. Everyone likely is well aware of Mondesi's past history and that he is likely not going to keep anything close to this up. Unless you are playing with people who don't know too much about baseball, they won't buy into the sell high strategy of overpaying for hot players.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2760
Joined: 5 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Halifax, NS

Postby DGroundhog » Fri May 23, 2003 4:41 pm

There are stupid people in every league. It's best to find a good group of managers and stick with them every year. You can build up some fun rivalries and histories that way. I have one good league, and 3 scrub leagues on Yahoo. One of those scrub leagues has vetoed 80 % of the trades that have been offerred. Bernie Williams for Rivera was a recent one, Morris 4 Sheffield was one I had vertoed pre-season. None have been collusive, just a bunch of veto happy retards, and I'm shy about vetoing if I think one team unfairly gains an edge.

Drafting 5 RP in your first 5 picks is just stupid. The guy won't contend in the end. Mid-pack at best. If RP is hard to come by, tank the category. Saves and Steals can be tanked safely. One or the other, not both (don't ignore both, don't worry too much about either). By drafting quality SP and 30+HR/.300 AVG+ guys you help yourself in 4 of 5 categories. Finishing mid pack in Saves and Steals is acceptable if you are at or near the top of RBI's, Runs, HR's, AVG, W's, K's, ERA, WHIP. If you can grab a RP later in the year to climb a few point in the category, great.
Image

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1390
Joined: 3 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SoCalRebel » Fri May 23, 2003 5:33 pm

Yeah I joined only one league this year. It turned out to be a crappy one. Im now gonna start a midseason league, and im lookin for owners that know what they are doing.

League ID#: 281220
Password: home
Season: Midseason
Draft Type: Live
Draft Time: Wednesday, June 4 at 8:25 pm PDT


Its yahoo, roto. If your intrested join up.
Im not an expert but I have an opinion
SoCalRebel
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 124
Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri May 23, 2003 5:38 pm

I'd love to join, but 8:25 pacific means this East Coaster is out of luck.

Anyway, I love my league--it's a bunch of buddies who know what they're doing. The only thing is, guys like Huff have no trade value, while I couldn't pry away any struggling players--like a Halladay.

But, then again, I wouldn't trade away Miller hoping he comes around. (Or, I would trade him, but not for significantly decreased value.)

IT's more fun, though...otherwise it's too easy.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 7181
Joined: 17 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: No taxation without Representation!

Postby gses » Fri May 23, 2003 7:11 pm

My bad, the trade I offered was Mondesi and Looper for Sasaki. I was giving him a lower closer in it. And ya I agree with you guys the obsessuion of closers is stupid.
gses


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Quaker » Sat May 24, 2003 12:00 am

I'm in a points league, where a closer is worth about 1/3 of the point value of a player like ARod, and there is still a guy obsessed with them. He drafted 3 in his top 10. Who knows why.
I on the other hand drafted only 2 closers (both past the 17th round) and picked up another two off the waivers, and I'm sitting 5 spots ahead of him.
Why some people are so infatuated with closers is beyond me.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 781
Joined: 30 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Super GM » Sat May 24, 2003 5:41 am

I usually lead the saves category in my matchups...But that's not because I have five closers on my team...I have Smoltz, Williams and Koch....Smoltz gets like 80% of my saves, Williams adds another 15% and occasionally Billy koch gets the chance to close a game and that makes up for the other 5%....

It's crazy to have 5 closers on a team, I agree with that...But I'm sure they'll learn....If they don't, let em burn.....

I think I've devided my pitching staff up pretty well...

SP Pedro Martinez (SP-Bos)
SP Mark Mulder (SP-Oak)
RP John Smoltz (RP-Atl)
RP Mike Williams (RP-Pit)
P Freddy Garcia (SP-Sea)
P Mike Hampton (SP-Atl)
P Billy Koch (RP-CWS)
Bench Brett Myers (SP-Phi)
Bench Esteban Loaiza (SP-CWS)
DL Josh Beckett (SP-Fla)
Image
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3746
Joined: 23 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On the mound striking out Barry Bonds

Postby achouboy » Mon May 26, 2003 10:38 am

I have 5 closers: gagne, foulke, williamson, politte and macdougal and i drafted gagne, foulke and williamson in the first 15 rounds...i'm in first place by 9 games and get 9-10 saves every week...its not so crazy ;-D
achouboy


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact