33 major military bases on the chopping block - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

33 major military bases on the chopping block

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Sat May 14, 2005 9:25 am

From the list, it looks like a bunch of reserve bases/buildings.
I never understood why the reserves have had to have there own bases, anyways. Why can't they train at the normal facilities.

California isa huge military state. In San Diego alone we have three massive miltary bases .

Camp Pendelton
Miramar Air Base
and San Diego Naval Station. ..

But if you look at a map, the are probably 15 different "Military Bases" scattered through out the county. Why? Why can't they train and use the existing bases.
Three of the "Bases" I commute by weekly and there is never anybody there. I am sure there is one or two guys sitting inside, doing something meaningless, but can't they do that at one of the Bigger installations?
One of them is a huge National Guard storage yard, that has Tanks, parked across the street from a college. WHY?. (If anybody has ever seen Americas Stupidiest Police Chases, the one with the tank, this is where it was stolen from)

so personally I am all for cutting costs by closing these so called bases. ;-D
Its something that needs to be streamlined, big time.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Sun May 15, 2005 9:21 pm

wrveres wrote:From the list, it looks like a bunch of reserve bases/buildings.
I never understood why the reserves have had to have there own bases, anyways. Why can't they train at the normal facilities.

California isa huge military state. In San Diego alone we have three massive miltary bases .

Camp Pendelton
Miramar Air Base

But if you look at a map, the are probably 15 different "Military Bases" scattered through out the county. Why? Why can't they train and use the existing bases.
Three of the "Bases" I commute by weekly and there is never anybody there. I am sure there is one or two guys sitting inside, doing something meaningless, but can't they do that at one of the Bigger installations?
One of them is a huge National Guard storage yard, that has Tanks, parked across the street from a college. WHY?. (If anybody has ever seen Americas Stupidiest Police Chases, the one with the tank, this is where it was stolen from)

The one in 29 Palms takes up huge amounts of land no one will ever use, so I have no problems with bases like that. Do you know what that base is used for?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Mon May 16, 2005 3:55 am

Phatferd wrote:
wrveres wrote:From the list, it looks like a bunch of reserve bases/buildings.

Camp Pendelton
Miramar Air Base

The one in 29 Palms takes up huge amounts of land no one will ever use, so I have no problems with bases like that. Do you know what that base is used for?

not 100 % positive, But I think 29 Palms is a "Desert Training Center" for the Marines. Funny too is the US Army has a massive "Desert Training Center", Called Fort Irwin, just a couple hundred miles away.

why does there need to be two separate "Desert Traingng Centers", so close to each other. It makes no sense.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby davidmarver » Mon May 16, 2005 4:00 am

Hey WR, where in SD County do you live? I live in Carlsbad and recently Camp Pendleton has been dropping bigger bombs in higher quantities than I can ever remember. Man, it's annoying.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Whammy » Mon May 16, 2005 4:36 am

Ill tell you what I think that after they close all of the bases they will regret every bit of it. I for one am very unhappy with the decisions made by congress and others that want to close down bases to save on money????

What is money when people are being attacked daily in Iraq and Afganistan?? I for one would rather know that my local Air base or what ever base is nearby, That they are there and freedom is prevailed. I know that when I hear all the Jets fly over head I know I am free and safe from all enemy and their affiliates. They say that AIR POWER is the strongest power ever.

emb0lus said:
I feel for people who lose their jobs but the air force employs too many people as it is for the amount of work they do. 90% of my friends are either in the air force or are civilians employed on base and they barely work 7 hours a day, get tons of time off and they even tell me that half the time they are not doing anything but surfing the internet because they are given a month to complete a job that only takes them a week

Ok people I have done my time in the military and for one to make a response like this is disturbing. these people that you talk of are NON-ERS (dictionary expilation) NoN Rs= to not do your job; to sit in an air conditioned office and "chill" while others get jets in the air and take care of "buisness". This is a Non-er. Please do not look at the military in a way of what emb0lus puts it please it is about pride,perfection and killing whatever steps in your way tword freedom.
[quote]If U dont know your stuff U get the Whammy™![/quote]
Whammy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby wrveres » Mon May 16, 2005 4:51 am

davidmarver wrote:Hey WR, where in SD County do you live? I live in Carlsbad and recently Camp Pendleton has been dropping bigger bombs in higher quantities than I can ever remember. Man, it's annoying.

Clairemont ;-D
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby WharfRat » Mon May 16, 2005 2:32 pm

I just found out yesterday that the base where my parents work (Fort Monmouth, in NJ) is on the list. I'm pretty stunned. The Fort has always been there and a big part of life in Monmouth County. It's the biggest employer for one, and when I was a kid we used to go there for Armed Forces Day and I did summer camp there a couple years, and then using the gym and everything...not that I've actually been allowed on base since 9/11, but it would be weird going back to my hometown and not having the Fort right there. My parents are both a couple years from retiring anyway so they'll be fine, but I've got some friends who've only been working there for 5-10 years, who now need to find something else. The good thing about the area is that it's 15 minutes from the beach and a little over an hour south of NYC, so they'll rebuild pretty quick if the base does get closed, since it's pretty crowded and high-demand.

I asked my dad what the deal was, and a part of the reason these bases are getting closed is because the military wants the Army, Navy and Air Force to share bases from now on. Which is pretty stupid, putting all your eggs in one basket like that, although I guess there could be training and cost-saving advantages.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to General Talk