VMart - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

VMart

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Fri May 13, 2005 1:27 pm

Irish wrote:I just traded for Vmart, giving Mauer and M. Batista :-o

I'm thinking when hafner comes around Martinez will see better pitches also. It just seems like the whole team is in a funk. If it was just Martinez I would worry, but I have a feeling he'll be fine when the team plays like it can. Patience,patience....

Bad idea. I think Mauer is in for a big season although VMart should come around.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TB13 » Fri May 13, 2005 1:31 pm

Yoda wrote:Bad idea. I think Mauer is in for a big season although VMart should come around.

Agreed, Yoda. Not only will Mauer be better for this season, but for many seasons to come.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ActionHero » Fri May 13, 2005 1:36 pm

I'd like to understand exactly what is stupid about them? I understand their projections are usually way off base, but their rankings from last year are based on actual statistics. Are you suggesting that they are overweighting certain categories?

Yoda wrote:
Yahoo Rankings are stupid. You can never, ever, go by them.
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Irish » Fri May 13, 2005 1:48 pm

Yoda wrote:
Irish wrote:I just traded for Vmart, giving Mauer and M. Batista :-o

I'm thinking when hafner comes around Martinez will see better pitches also. It just seems like the whole team is in a funk. If it was just Martinez I would worry, but I have a feeling he'll be fine when the team plays like it can. Patience,patience....

Bad idea. I think Mauer is in for a big season although VMart should come around.

We shall see, I like Mauer alot, but I feel if VMART plays like he did last year he will put up better numbers then Mauer, although Mauer will leap frog him soon enough, just not yet IMO.
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Frances The Mute » Fri May 13, 2005 2:05 pm

Funny stuff.

I think bselig makes a valid point that VMart wasn't the top catcher last year. He was certainly good but not the top guy.

New steroid policy this year? It is early and imo too early to dump VMart-- he was real good in the minors so I doubt he'll be a one year bust.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mamorris » Fri May 13, 2005 2:20 pm

ActionHero wrote:I'd like to understand exactly what is stupid about them? I understand their projections are usually way off base, but their rankings from last year are based on actual statistics. Are you suggesting that they are overweighting certain categories?

Yoda wrote:

From what I understand, they don't give proper weightings to the 'ratio' categories (AVG, ERA, WHIP). By that, I mean a starter with an ERA of 2 will get the same credit as a closer with an ERA of 2, despite the fact that the starter's ERA will impact your team more. Still, using a ranking service which does actually give proper weights to these categories (like baseballmonster.com), Pudge and Javy come out a fair way ahead of V-Mart in 5x5.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ActionHero » Fri May 13, 2005 2:23 pm

mamorris wrote:From what I understand, they don't give proper weightings to the 'ratio' categories (AVG, ERA, WHIP). By that, I mean a starter with an ERA of 2 will get the same credit as a closer with an ERA of 2, despite the fact that the starter's ERA will impact your team more. Still, using a ranking service which does actually give proper weights to these categories (like baseballmonster.com), Pudge and Javy come out a fair way ahead of V-Mart in 5x5.

Well if that's true, that's pretty pathetic. It's not that difficult to properly weight them. Thanks for the insight mamorris...
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri May 13, 2005 3:58 pm

Cornbread, (to answer the original post)

Victor Martinez will be fine. He's just having a bit of bad luck. This accounts for the drop in batting average.

He's hitting .229 on balls in play. Compare that to Brandon Inge who is hitting .398 on balls in play. Neither of those numbers are going to last. Victor's will go up, Inge's will go down.

He has a good Line Drive % (.192), so he's making solid contact with the ball. Expect the batting average, RBI #s and Runs to rise substantially by the end of May/early June. His K/BB ratio is right where it should be, so he's seeing the ball well (or at least as well as he did last year).

As far as his power...nobody knows where that went.

Right now, he's on pace to hit 12 HRs this year. That could just be a result of trying too hard to bust out of his slump. Who knows? Let's just hope the power comes back with his batting average. I personally think it will, and he'll end up with 20-25 HRs at the end of the season.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Fri May 13, 2005 4:03 pm

mamorris wrote:
ActionHero wrote:I'd like to understand exactly what is stupid about them? I understand their projections are usually way off base, but their rankings from last year are based on actual statistics. Are you suggesting that they are overweighting certain categories?

Yoda wrote:

From what I understand, they don't give proper weightings to the 'ratio' categories (AVG, ERA, WHIP). By that, I mean a starter with an ERA of 2 will get the same credit as a closer with an ERA of 2, despite the fact that the starter's ERA will impact your team more. Still, using a ranking service which does actually give proper weights to these categories (like baseballmonster.com), Pudge and Javy come out a fair way ahead of V-Mart in 5x5.

It's my understanding that the ratios are weighted by ip and ab, so no this wouldn't be true. If you can find conflicting examples between yahoo and say a couple reputable dollar calculators (conflicting meaning ranking certain players over other players in one but not another) then please do show.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EK711 » Fri May 13, 2005 4:43 pm

I do think that Victor is trying a little too hard to bust out. Just from watching him, Victor doesn't seem to have the patience he did last year at the plate, and last year patience at the plate and taking walks is what made the whole Indians lineup good. Last year Victor had a AB/BB rate of 8.7, and this year he's down to 11.1, take out the 4 IBB that he had at the beginning of the year and it's down to 18.6.

I think Victor will bust out, but he doesn't look so good at the plate right now. Good news is though that the Indians as a whole have looked better so hopefully Victor will follow suit.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers