Kearns? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kearns?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kearns?

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri May 13, 2005 10:15 am

Cinci fans - whats going on with Kearns?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby benjapage » Fri May 13, 2005 10:21 am

he's playing more--largely as a result of aurilia going down, and freel playing 2b--and he's hitting decently. what he needs is a solid month's worth of playing time, and he'll get it together. looks like he might actually have that playing time available, now.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri May 13, 2005 10:31 am

Well, here's what I know - or thought I knew - so maybe someone can pick up the pieces for me.

Kearns is a stud hitter - power, avg - possibly better than Dunn. However, he's fought nagging injuries the past 2 years which have affected his stats (when you play through injuries, the stat totals arent a very good indicator of true talent). This yr he appeared healthy, but with Willy Mo tearing it up, the OF was jam packed and Kearns couldnt get in. Now that he has an everyday job (for now), and the fact he should be healthy (again, let me know if thats incorrect), shouldnt he be a stud hitter again - power and avg? Has he changed his approach to the plate? Does he have head issues (mental/emotional)? Whats going on - I need an explanation to why he is batting under .220.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bselig » Fri May 13, 2005 10:37 am

Kearns hasn't been good in three years. You shouldn't be counting on someone who hasn't been good in three years. He is a guy who looks like a decent option now, someone to take a shot on off of free agency. I don't think you are going to get a legitimate "explanation" for why Kearns isn't hitting from anyone - there have been potentially hundreds of those over the past three years that, after the fact, get lumped into larger categories like "injury" or "wasn't seeing consistent playing time." He's a guy with upside but probably not one you should be playing until he shows some consistency...unless you are in a very deep league or have a horrible, horrible team.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri May 13, 2005 10:47 am

Im not counting on him.
Yes I play in competitive leagues where this type of analysis is important.
Does anyone with any insight want to relay what local media is saying about him - interviews and such?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby phunkadelic » Fri May 13, 2005 11:03 am

Someone up high in the Reds doesn't like him. Whether it's the manager, or the GM, or the COO, I don't know. But he's not getting the PT he should be getting (unfortunately). Before Aurilla went down, he got the last couple starts in SS, Lopez played 2B, and Freel played RF (essentially putting Kearns on the bench over the sub-.200, way-past-his-prime Aurilla).

He is healthy, the GM confirmed this yesterday on a local radio talk show.

The decreased playing time alone may be what's shaking his confidence, but I think there's something else, but nobody around here can put their foot on it. Personally, I think he's out of shape. You can see it a little in his face and figure, but where I really see it is in his performance. His range is down in the outfield, and his bat speed is slow. He just doesn't look like the player he used to be :,-( .

I had him in 3 of my 5 leagues, and recently dropped him in all three of them. I agree, three years ago I thought he'd be better than Dunn (even though these numbers he's putting up now is exactly what I expecting out of Dunn). Now, that's about the farthest thing from my mind.
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby benjapage » Fri May 13, 2005 11:29 am

local sports radio (700 wlw) mentioned that last year, dan o' brien made mention that austin kearns is "not a major league type player," and that he later rescinded the remark. but it does provide some reinforcement into phunk's suggestion.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Box » Fri May 13, 2005 12:36 pm

He could really use a trade somewhere. Coors anyone? :-D
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Fri May 13, 2005 12:42 pm

Box wrote:He could really use a trade somewhere. Coors anyone? :-D

Then he'd just suck in Colorado. :-D

But I subscribe to the line of thought that he'll probably need a "get healthy" year before he puts up his breakout year. With the OF logjam, I doubt this is it. It's unfortunate on his part that when he finally seems to be healthy, there's someone else who's hot. And if it's true that people are as down on him in Cincy as it seems, it might make other clubs less interested, although there's always someone who will take a chance on him, I bet.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Manfred » Fri May 13, 2005 1:01 pm

I think a lot of teams, including the Braves were asking abotu kearns in ST. Apparently, Cincy was asking for a boatload. Eiher they think highly of kearns or they were preying on other team's perception of him. either one could be true. personally, I think as soon as he plays regularly and gets moved up in the order so he has a little protection, he'll be fine.
Manfred
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers