Trade for Bonds offered to me -> - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade for Bonds offered to me ->

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade for Bonds offered to me ->

Postby Bender » Mon Apr 08, 2002 11:42 pm

Someone offered me:

Ichiro Suzuki
Bernie Williams
Kevin Millwood

For:

Barry Bonds

Is this worth doing? I didn't Ichiro was going to be as good this season, but I do like him.
Bender

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby uanap » Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:09 am

Hey there Bender, welcome to the club. You left a rather open ended question. How many teams are in your league and who is on your team? We'd love to help you out.

Also, remember this. If you accept, you must be prepared to drop two players to make room on your roster for the two you gained. So essentially its a three for three trade.
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:51 am

uanap's right - it's hard to say without knowing your team and your league. For instance, the Ichiro/Bernie/Millwood side would ingeneral look good in a deep roto league, while Bonds would be worth more in most shallow points leagues.

Let us know - this is certainly an interesting offer!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:15 am

I would do it, as I dont like Barry AND would get a Braves player for him

:-)

no, but without kidding, this really looks good for almost all league settings, but in smaller leagues with a lot of depth it may not be wise...
Dan
Maitre D'
Maitre D'

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Bender » Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:49 am

I did some thinking and decide that the players I dropped would be El Duque and Blalock/Lawton

So the trade would then be:

I get:

Ichiro Suzuki (OF)
Bernie Williams (OF)
Kevin Millwood (P)

I lose:

Barry Bonds (OF)
Hank Blalock (3B) / Matt Lawton (OF)
El Duque (P)

Doesn't look so good then I guess. But the thing is I don't know much about Millwood. If he is a good pitcher then I may do the trade.
Bender

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:02 am

Bonds tops Ichiro, Bernie is far better than either of the guys you'd be dropping (unless you're in a keeper league), and Millwood and El Duque are both risky. Both have excellent potential, but have broken the hearts of fantasy players in the past.

At the moment, I'd say Hernandez and Millwood are about even, with a very slight edge to Millwood, whose curve seems far better than it was last year. It's still too early to tell for sure, however.

I guess it depends on who you have to replace Bernie. If you wouldn't be losing too much there, it might be worth it, but if you'd be stuck with a scrub, stay away.

What's your league format? Roto? How many teams?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:09 am

Hmmmm.
I have had El Duque in the past and he was very inconsistent all of the time! Millwood was, too, but he is much younger and it seems that he got back on track now, he had two good outings this year, although this is, of coz, too early to judge!

Bernie is for sure an upgrade over Lawton/Blalock (it depends on whom you have on 3B/OF, but I would drop Lawton...), while of coz Ichiro has less value than Bonds.

Seems like an even trade, I would do it, as the chances for Millwood to break out are good!
Dan
Maitre D'
Maitre D'

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Bender » Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:59 am

It's in a 12 team roto.

I was going to make him an offer, how does this sound:

I give:

Barry Bonds
El Duque

I get:

Ichiro
Roy Oswalt
Orlando Cabrera (I need a SS)

How would that work out?
Bender

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:05 am

Adding El Duque to your offer certainly doesn't hurt you if you'd be dropping him anyway. Oswalt is safer than Millwood, and while Cabrera is below Williams' level, if he fills a need on your squad, I'd try this version. If you can soak up the loss of power, this deal doesn't look bad.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bender » Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:09 am

I am first in homers now, but I guess that is due to barry.

Someone just dropped brian giles though, so it might be sweet, as then I can replace either lawton or hidalgo or maybe blalock can go.

It is sounding really nice to me now, but it doesn't sound like cabrera is as good as I thought.

My shortstop is Jose Valentin, is he good enough to just keep one SS?
Bender

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers