Marlins closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marlins closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Marlins closer

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Fri May 13, 2005 10:00 am

I hear Mota is set to come off the DL the end of next week.

Any chance Old Man Jack keeps T. Jones as closer & makes Mota the set-up guy?
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Kavorka » Fri May 13, 2005 10:02 am

um . . . . no
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri May 13, 2005 10:14 am

There could be a chance of that happening. Again - Mota really hasent done well as a closer. He converted the last 2 save opps before getting injured - in back to back games against Cincy, but they were his only 2 saves of the yr so far.

It would be interesting to see Jones or someone else closing ahead of Mota once he returns - but as many people have said for a while heading into the season - do not be suprised if Mota loses the closer job.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby donny23 » Fri May 13, 2005 11:18 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:There could be a chance of that happening. Again - Mota really hasent done well as a closer. He converted the last 2 save opps before getting injured - in back to back games against Cincy, but they were his only 2 saves of the yr so far.

It would be interesting to see Jones or someone else closing ahead of Mota once he returns - but as many people have said for a while heading into the season - do not be suprised if Mota loses the closer job.

I don't understand the reasoning for him losing his job here. It's not his fault he's only had two chances at saves this year. That isn't controlled by him. He'll clearly be the closer when he gets back with Jones moving back to set-up. I think this is a non-issue.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bselig » Fri May 13, 2005 11:22 am

You are obviously correct Donny...he was signed to close, is a fine pitcher, and will continue to close. He may lose the closer job, but that will only occur due to consistent non-performance on his part, not because "he's a setup man" or some idiocy like that. It's Mota's job to lose and he'll have to be very bad to lose it...
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri May 13, 2005 11:40 am

actually - he has about a 50% conversion rate in save opps - so you guys go ahead and keep ignoring me when I say his hold on the closer situation is shakey.

Good pitchers do not always have the makeup to close. FLA management knows this. Thats why they went out and got 2 guys who have been successful as closers as insurance policies in case Mota is one of those good pitchers who cannot transition into a good closer.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby donny23 » Fri May 13, 2005 11:56 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:actually - he has about a 50% conversion rate in save opps - so you guys go ahead and keep ignoring me when I say his hold on the closer situation is shakey.

Good pitchers do not always have the makeup to close. FLA management knows this. Thats why they went out and got 2 guys who have been successful as closers as insurance policies in case Mota is one of those good pitchers who cannot transition into a good closer.

They signed him with a worse save % to be the closer. He's 2/2 for them. Let's not overblow things. Jones is an insurance policy, but as the other guy said, Mota will not lose the job unless he proves to be ineffective THIS YEAR. The thread was about Mota losing the job when he comes back. That will clearly not happen. If he was brought in to be the closer and has done the job when asked so far, why change this?
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri May 13, 2005 12:56 pm

I agree with Donny here. I think he'll get the job back when he returns, and will only lose it if he's ineffective. Todd Jones won't keep this up, that's for sure.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby T-Bone Costanza » Fri May 13, 2005 1:01 pm

I think Mota will come back for awhile and the elbow will flare up again. Another scenario is possibly him not being ready to come back as quick as everyone is saying.
T-Bone Costanza
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RawTalent » Fri May 13, 2005 1:13 pm

Does anyone here realize how bad a pitcher Todd Jones is? He throws a flat fastball that tops at like 94 mph. That alone will make sure that Mota will be closer.
RawTalent
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers