Top FANTASY Baseball Prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top FANTASY Baseball Prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top FANTASY Baseball Prospects

Postby Jobu » Fri May 13, 2005 9:50 am

There are plenty of sites that list the top baseball prospects, but what about the top prospects from purely a fantasy perspective? For example, Kotchman is likely to be a lot better in real life than fantasy (ditto for highly regarded guys like JJ Hardy).

Is there a recommended site that takes a look at prospects, in-depth, from a fantasy perspective?

If nor, or even if so, what are the feelings of the gurus around here as to, say, the top 10 fantasy prospects? Or maybe the top couple of fantasy prospects at each position?
Jobu
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri May 13, 2005 10:11 am

I personally don't know of any, but I think you'd see a high correlation between top prospects and top fantasy prospects. A top prospect is one expected to come in and eventually play at an All-Star level. Well, that's what most people look for in their fantasy prospects. And most top prospects get there based on offensive potential - which translates in fantasy baseball as well.

I think the two areas that would be different are those players with excellent defensive reputations that boost their status (e.g. Hardy) or the pure speed guys, who seem to be dropped. For example, Tavares was not a highly rated prospect, but for fantasy purposes he is a good prospect.

As such, I'd recommend looking at the players at the top of the list and see why they are ranked. If defense is the number one factor, drop them a little. As for the speed guys, find those that are mentioned at all and, if they exhibit good plate discipline and play good defense, bump them up a little. Other than that, I don't have any other suggestions.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri May 13, 2005 1:40 pm

I agree with DP. For the most part (there are a few exceptions like he said) the top prospects in real life are the ones we should look at for fantasy. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Yoda » Fri May 13, 2005 5:17 pm

Yeah just back out the fielding and essentially the info is pretty reliable. Baseball America, BTW, is by far the best source for prospects. It is the only pay site I visit and well worth the $.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Minor League & College Baseball