Hermida vs. Quentin - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Hermida vs. Quentin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hermida vs. Quentin

Postby mikeprovri » Thu May 12, 2005 11:59 pm

Anybody have a good opinion on who's the better of these two prospects? I have recently opened up a roster spot for a minor leaguer and have narrowed it down to these two. If anybody would like to make another suggestion, I'm open...these players are already taken:

GUZMAN (LA)
SORIANO (SEA)
MARTE (ATL)
YOUNG (TB)
UPTON (TB)
CAIN (SF)
WEEKS (MIL)
RAMIREZ, H (BOS)
HERNANDEZ, F (SEA)
FIELDER (MIL)

I'd prefer not to take a pitching prospect either.

Thanks.
mikeprovri
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikeprovri » Fri May 13, 2005 12:05 am

Oh yeah, I should also mention I'd like to grab somebody who's either going to get called up this year at is projected to be a starter going into spring training next year.
mikeprovri
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri May 13, 2005 12:25 am

I'm not exactly following the requirements to be classified as a minor leaguer. :-? Do guys like Kotchman, Reed (SEA), and Burke qualify? If not then I'd probably take Quentin because of the park factor, but I like Hermida better from a real life perspective, but it's really close and I don't think you could go dreadfully wrong either way.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby so0perspam » Fri May 13, 2005 12:31 am

Close, but I like Hermida over Quentin.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby hybrid » Fri May 13, 2005 3:06 am

Well strictly from a fantasy perspective they are very close. Both will hit for avg, while Quentin has shown more power (though Hermida is hitting for power this year). Hermida however could steal 20 bases in the bigs, where Quentin though he could steal double digits SB's ... wouldn't run as much. Quentin also obviously has the better hitters park.

Also since you seem to want the guy up my ST next year, I'd say Quentin has the best shot since he is closer to the majors.

I hope that helps your decision some. Personally I'd take Quentin cause he is closer and I don't know how Hermida's power will translate to Marlins stadium.

BTW - Ian Stewart isn't as close, but if you could wait he is a very good option at 3B
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri May 13, 2005 7:53 am

I would agree with what Hybrid said regarding upside.

Where I will disagree is that I think Hermida has a better chance to be starting next year. Encarnacion is in the last year of his contract, whereas Green and Gonzo are signed through 2007. While Quentin is doing well at a higher level, the Marlins have shown that they will bump a prospect from AA to the majors, not to mention that, presuming he keeps doing well, he very well could get time at AAA this year. In other words, the DBacks will have to make an opening for Quentin - the opening will be there for Hermida.

Another option at AA right now likely to be starting next year is Jeff Francoeur. Both Jordan and Mondesi were signed to one year contracts. Francoeur is hitting well, but has a 31/4 K/BB ratio. That is the biggest concern. But he will have the opportunity to win the job next year.

But I will also agree that based on upside alone, Ian Stewart is the best option - however you're looking at 2007 at the earliest for being a full time starter as he's in high-A right now.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby hybrid » Fri May 13, 2005 8:24 am

Ah, good catch. I didn't realize Encarnacion was in his last year, that helps Hermida's case a good amount. Though I'd still take Quentin first, I don't see either Gonzo staying healthy ... or them leaving him in AAA for another year. Because Quentin should really be in the majors right now, Shawn Green seems to be fading fast also.

Francoeur will have a chance, but like you said ...his plate discipline is pretty bad right now. I think he is to raw to jump to the majors next year.

BTW dawgpound - off topic, but where are you from? Have to ask since you have a Rays avatar.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mikeprovri » Fri May 13, 2005 9:02 am

Thanks for the help.

1) I forgot two players who were already taken: KOTCHMAN (ANA) and MCCARTHY (CWS) - Chirs Burke would qualify, but after seeing what the Astros did to him in April, he's fallen off my radar screen.

2) I do recognize that Ian Stewart is by far the most highly regarded minor leaguer not taken, but as pointed out - I think he's a little too far away for my liking.

3) Thanks for the tips - you haven't made my decision any easier :-b - but I appreciate the info!

Keep those comments coming...
mikeprovri
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri May 13, 2005 10:01 am

I agree that I like Quentin more all things being equal. The DBacks just have a LOT of money tied up in their corner OF and barring a trade (of Quentin), I think he'll be stuck next year - sort of like Lane last year (with the proviso that Quentin is a MUCH better prospect). Obviously, injuries can happen and maybe the DBacks will come to their senses with Green, but if they can pull off the improbable and contend this year, I can't see them shipping either Green or Gonzo out. Who knows for sure.

Anyway, as for making the decision tougher, just remember there are no guarantees. That's why I like this game - kind of like the stock market and we're just gambling on future performance. Of the two, I like Quentin more personally. But, based on your desire to have a starter in 2006, Hermida would be my choice. However, he could suck it up big-time in ST and be at AAA next year as well, while Quentin plays so well he forces the DBacks to move Green to 1B and trade Tracy.

Lastly, I'm originally from Atlanta, but moved to Orlando at a young age. Lived in different places in Florida - currently live near Tampa. More a baseball fan than a Rays fan, but as they are the local team, I support them and go to a few games when I can. Braves are the other team I root for, but they seem to have greater representation here. That explains the avatar. I'd personally rather have an avatar (and signature) of Kate Beckinsale, but not sure the g/f would appreciate that. ;-)
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby El Jefe » Sat May 14, 2005 3:28 pm

I think both with have BIG success once they get called up. From lists that I've seen, Hermida may be slightly better. But not by much. The ballparks, as stated earlier, may be the great equalizer.

Not to get off topic...Well maybe just a bit.

I have both Victor Diaz and Carlos Quentin on a 14 team dynasty team, but I really want Hermida. Should I drop Diaz for Hermida? I'm not worried about this season's production. I'm thinking more of next year and waaaaay beyond.
El Jefe
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball