Garret Atkins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Garret Atkins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Garret Atkins

Postby perlick29 » Thu May 12, 2005 8:46 pm

I thought he had made a full recovery. But this is the 3rd straight day that Desi Relaford is getting the start over him. What is going on here, he was supposed to be my platoon partner wih Mike Lowell? Anyone have a scoop that hasn't been mentioned yet?

Thanks for the help.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaveClay12 » Thu May 12, 2005 9:10 pm

I'm wondering the same thing. Atkins was my Util player this week - 7 games at Coors. What happened?
DaveClay12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 11)

Postby FlawedReasoning » Thu May 12, 2005 10:12 pm

Ditto.... Anybody know what's going on? In a weekly league, I've got Barmes, Hawpe and Atkins going for this 7 game stretch at Coors, but Atkins has been almost a no-show. Why's he riding the pine? He wasn't hitting atrociously or anything in his first few games back.
FlawedReasoning
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LetsPlay2 » Thu May 12, 2005 10:36 pm

RotoWorld from yesterday (I'm sure you've seen it....frustrating for us Atkins owners):

"Garrett Atkins is out of the lineup in favor of Desi Relaford for the second straight game today.

No injury has been reported. Atkins has struggled in 12 games since coming off the disabled list, but so what? The whole team is struggling, and Atkins, as much as any hitter on the roster, needs to play. If he had received 80 percent of his at-bats at Coors Field instead of on the road so far, his numbers would be fine and manager Clint Hurdle wouldn't be sitting him."
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LetsPlay2 » Thu May 12, 2005 10:46 pm

From Rocky Mountain News yesterday (seems like it's just Hurdle sitting him for a few games):

"SLUMPING: Garrett Atkins joined Matt Holliday on the bench on Tuesday as both young players find themselves fighting through slumps.

Atkins had started 10 of 11 games since coming off the disabled list April 26. He had a pinch-hit RBI single in the fifth Tuesday but has only two hits in his past 20 at-bats.

Atkins was replaced at third base by Desi Relaford, who entered with four hits in 11 at-bats against Atlanta starter John Thomson and went 1-for-3.

"We tried to make little adjustments with (Atkins) in (batting practice Tuesday), get a foundation back under him," Hurdle said. "
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FlawedReasoning » Thu May 12, 2005 10:59 pm

LetsPlay2 wrote:From Rocky Mountain News yesterday (seems like it's just Hurdle sitting him for a few games):

"SLUMPING: Garrett Atkins joined Matt Holliday on the bench on Tuesday as both young players find themselves fighting through slumps.

Atkins had started 10 of 11 games since coming off the disabled list April 26. He had a pinch-hit RBI single in the fifth Tuesday but has only two hits in his past 20 at-bats.

Atkins was replaced at third base by Desi Relaford, who entered with four hits in 11 at-bats against Atlanta starter John Thomson and went 1-for-3.

"We tried to make little adjustments with (Atkins) in (batting practice Tuesday), get a foundation back under him," Hurdle said. "

Hey, thanks for the news! ;-D (even though it's not all that encouraging.... a young player comes off the dl on a road trip to start his season and has a brief slump so he gets benched after just 20 ab?)
FlawedReasoning
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Fri May 13, 2005 3:28 am

Part of the issue with Atkins is his lack of defensive prowess. He's a converted 1B, and he's WAY below average at 3B. So if he's not hitting, he's not playing. Fact is, he's little more than a decent gap hitter with no speed and less than adequate CI power. Plus, he's not likely to be part of this team's future unless they move him back across the diamond as Ian Stewart is going to eventually take over 3B.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby LetsPlay2 » Fri May 13, 2005 3:53 am

Ian Stewart is 20 years old, is currently playing Single A ball where he has 15Ks in 37ABs which contributes to his .189 BA. He was great last year (.319 with 30HRs at Single A) but is at least 2 seasons away from the majors. Atkins shouldn't be dismissed that quickly. He hit .366 with 15HR, 88R, 94 RBI in 445 ABs at AAA last season. Yes, I know it was at altitude in Col Springs but so is Denver where he plays now. His fielding is weak but he's only made 1 error in the 10 games he's started. If Hurdle gives him a chance, he can be a real contributor. No way Relaford is a better choice til Stewart does finally arrive.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hyde » Fri May 13, 2005 12:17 pm

Sounds like manager of the year, Clint Hurdle, is messing with this kid. The kid knows how to hit, Hurdle should just leave him alone and let him play everyday. The Rockies aren't going anywhere this year and Desi Relaford is not the future. Get your head out of your butt Hurdle.
When you are born you are given a ticket to the freak show, I say enjoy the show. - George Carlin
Hyde
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FlawedReasoning » Fri May 13, 2005 6:32 pm

Okay... I really hope he's in tonight's lineup. Otherwise this is a bit ridiculous.
FlawedReasoning
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers