Might explain Manny's lackluster play - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Might explain Manny's lackluster play

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheRaven » Fri May 13, 2005 9:44 am

RawTalent wrote:In the same Gammons piece (a radio conversation), he calls Varitek the best player on the Red Sox and Ortiz the bigger offensive force than Manny. I'm alright with calling Varitek the leader of the team, even the heart and soul of the Red Sox or whatever epithet you want to attach to him, but the BEST player? This just goes to show how delusional Gammons is.

By the way, I don't see Gammons harping on about Mussina's huge salary, and his talent tailoring off. No, for Mussina, it's always--"That guy's so smart; he went to Stanford" or wherever it is that he went.

Of ALL the players who signed huge contracts in and around the years that Manny signed a huge contract, I'm willing to bet that Manny's has stood out as the best value among them. So Gammons should just shut his little trap.

Maybe not in that conversation, but I have seen Gammons come down on Mussina several times. Just because he didn't in that one conversation doesn't mean anything.
TheRaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pappymojo » Fri May 13, 2005 10:03 am

reznorsboy wrote:Saw Manny live and he looked out of shape...

I don't know how you can say that. Have you seen him with his shirt off? the guy is all muscle.

call him ditzy and say he's not a good fielder, but out of shape? come on. that's just stupid.
pappymojo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby catch22 » Fri May 13, 2005 10:13 am

Thats no good. I just traded to get Manny.....hope he's wrong!
catch22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bselig » Fri May 13, 2005 11:16 am

With Manny's slow start this season and his pathetic second half last season his owners definitely have reason to worry...I'm just glad I drafted Vlad
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 13, 2005 11:31 am

No reason to worry. Manny isn't doing that badly except his BA is low. He has 21 R, 8 HR, 29 RBI, .374 OBA. He'll come around. He always looks disinterested.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pappymojo » Fri May 13, 2005 11:33 am

manny last year after the allstar break: 53 runs, 53 RBIs, 16 doubles, 17 home runs, 30 walks, 264 average.

is that how you define pathetic?

vlad last year after the allstar break: 51 runs, 49 RBIs, 14 doubles, 19 home runs, 24 walks, 326 average.

yes, vlad did better in the second half last year, but to claim that Manny owners should be worried... :-?
pappymojo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bselig » Fri May 13, 2005 11:36 am

To clarify: worried about the batting average. If you look at Manny's other years recently he has been fairly consistent. Part of why you take Manny in the first round is that .315 average and his owners should be worried about him not being able to hit for a high average anymore. I'm not saying it will continue just saying that it should without a doubt be a concern to anyone paying attention. And I'm not comparing Vlad or Manny - just mentioned that I'm happy to have taken Vlad.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dice » Fri May 13, 2005 11:42 am

Bostonsportsmedia.com dug this up. This is from a Gammons article last December:

Take Manny Ramirez. He is the classic "bad contract." He cleared waivers a year ago and nearly got traded to the Mets. He also happens to be close to the best right-handed hitter in the game, he is a very nice person without any evil intent, he has the right priorities (a World Series ring and the Hall of Fame over the MVP) and by and large played very hard.

So when Gammons is asking Felger "who said that?" about Ramirez being called the best right-handed hitter in the game, the answer is Gammons, six months ago.

Peter didn't take his Midol before coming on the air that day.

As for Manny's play? I'm not worried.
Dice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Fri May 13, 2005 11:44 am

At this point in the season if Manny had had 5 extra hits, he'd be hitting .286.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AT » Fri May 13, 2005 12:14 pm

I'm not dying to move him or anything but throw some names at me that would be worth trading Manny for. Obviously give me guys that people would be willing to trade to acquire Manny... Outfielders preferably. I think he will turn it around but at this point, he's just not performing to expectations.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers