My league is about ready to impeach me... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My league is about ready to impeach me...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Kingctb27 » Thu May 12, 2005 7:46 pm

bleach168 wrote:
kingctb27 wrote:Okay, so you guys wouldn't veto that trade? I def. would. This is how leagues get unbalanced. You can't just "sit back" and get run into the ground. I'm in a keeper league were someone has Beltran, Pujols, Tex, Abrue, A-Rod, RJ, Santana, Prior, and Schmidt. We did the same thing you guys said to do last year in the league and just "sat back". Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice.......er.....it won't happen twice :-)

I agree with you. However, ocmusicjunkie specifically said "no vetoes unless it's collusion or first rounder being handed away for free." His hands are tied now.

In my league where thehat is commish, he traded Renteria and Hafner for Santana. That was one helluva lopsided trade. But the rule there is no vetoes, so I can't really complain. I doubt I'll play in his league next year though.

Yeah, I've ben through worse than that. Try Brian Giles and 2 scrub pitchers for Beltran. The commish (the guy with the 9 1st and 2nd rounders) pleads that it makes the opposing owner's team better and somehow pulls these BS deals off. Before the season even started I said, Y don't we cut the # of Keepers down to about 3 or 4. But, no we have some idiots in our league that thinks Russ Ortiz is gonna be a stud this year and just has to keep him. Half the time I don't know weather to laugh at them or take them serious.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bselig » Thu May 12, 2005 8:00 pm

The trade at issue in this thread is pathetic and an obvious veto - except for the commish's policy on vetoing. I agree with sticking to the policy once it has been adopted, but know that a policy like that is extremely cowardly: a commish should have the balls to veto trades that are obviously lopsided and make little to no sense. Extreme stupidity is just as bad as collusion because it has the same effect on the league. If one owner continuously benefits from the stupidity of others you get the same exact result as you do from one owner repeatedly colluding. If collusion had no negative material effect on the league then there would be nothing wrong with it - the problem is that it results in transactions that are nonsensical and extremely unbalanced. Allowing members to vote against trades is not the right answer because many will vote against trades that should not be vetoed based on self interest. Leagues need a commissioner who will look at each trade and reject ones that are unbalanced to the point of absurdity. Yes, he will be making judgement calls and there are times he may make the wrong decision and there are times the right decision may be close to indistinguishable from the wrong decision. It is a difficult job, but it is the job of a real commissioner, who should be a man, not a sopping, rancid vagina.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu May 12, 2005 9:25 pm

Sounds like your league is full of whiners and crybabies. Maybe they need their mommies to make it all feel better. The bottom line is that: YOU CAN'T POLICE STUPIDITY. If someone is gonna make a bone-headed trade, that's their right. Everyone is free to make their own decisions on the relative values of players.

Besides, who is to tell them their trade is too stupid to go through? I'm sure a Roberts-for-Soriano deal would have been vetoed prior to the start of the season, but what about now? I'm sure a Bonds-for-Barmes deal would have been vetoed too. But now?

So long as there isn't collusion, there's no reason to veto a trade unless it's so god-awful that it can only be the product of collusion. Sorry, but the Commish is not there to maintain a "balanced" league. What's a "balanced" league anyway? Hell, I'm trying to "unbalance" my league in my favor with trades that I think will benefit my team. So is everyone else.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby d18Mike » Thu May 12, 2005 9:45 pm

Dear Ladies Who Would Veto This Trade:

You can NOT call a trade imbalanced or stupid unless you know 1) the category standings in the league 2) the strategies of both teams 3) the relative scarcity of positions players in that league.

Does the trade Tim Wakefield for Joe Nathan sound balanced to you?

Heck No.

But I made this trade last week to get Wakefield because 3 teams in my league are punting saves and there are many mid-tier closers in the FA pool. But there are NO quality starters because of all the punters. In your MIND Nathan may have a higher value. In this League he simply does not.

So don't tell me that YOU can tell if a trade like the one proposed atop this thread is balanced until you know the dynamic of the league and the teams themselves.

A bunch of ninnies trying to play God with other people's teams without the slightest clue what they are talking about. Hard to believe.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jayman » Thu May 12, 2005 9:52 pm

I would stop competing in your league. There's no point.

I can bust my ass reading posts, reading news, chasing players and then a dumbass accepts a stupid trade offer, now all of a sudden the guy i've been trying to beat gets a GIFT. I should have been spending my time trying to rip him off.

Should you veto? You can't. But, that's not the point. You have disgruntled league memebrs, and they have every right to be.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jayman » Thu May 12, 2005 9:57 pm

d18Mike wrote:Dear Ladies Who Would Veto This Trade:

You can NOT call a trade imbalanced or stupid unless you know 1) the category standings in the league 2) the strategies of both teams 3) the relative scarcity of positions players in that league.

Does the trade Tim Wakefield for Joe Nathan sound balanced to you?

Heck No.

But I made this trade last week to get Wakefield because 3 teams in my league are punting saves and there are many mid-tier closers in the FA pool. But there are NO quality starters because of all the punters. In your MIND Nathan may have a higher value. In this League he simply does not.

So don't tell me that YOU can tell if a trade like the one proposed atop this thread is balanced until you know the dynamic of the league and the teams themselves.

A bunch of ninnies trying to play God with other people's teams without the slightest clue what they are talking about. Hard to believe.

you are right. I think people are just going on the info they have.
as for vetoing - the commish shouldn't - only because he set the rule to start. But, if he doesn't want his league to fall apart he has to do something. Should he scarafice the entire league for this trade? No. He has to to find a better solution. These are people he knows, he should work with them to come up with something.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Fri May 13, 2005 3:09 am

d18Mike wrote:A bunch of ninnies trying to play God with other people's teams without the slightest clue what they are talking about. Hard to believe.

Almost as hard to believe as a chronic a-hole trying to tell others they should have no opinion when one was clearly solicited by the person who started the thread.

Try getting a clue before you decide to rip everyone who is responding to the original poster.

(is anyone really surprised he traded away Nathan for Wakefield?)

:-b

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Fri May 13, 2005 3:37 am

why are you taking a league where people make trades like this seriously?

i play in a friendly league as well, and when trades like this (well, nothing this bad has been accepted...) happen, i just roll my eyes and ignore it.

my philosophy is, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. and this is how i got beltre and a. jones for a-ram and c. floyd. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fpower » Fri May 13, 2005 9:24 am

The point of the league is to have fun, and it sounds like nobody's having fun anymore in your league. If you're not willing to veto lopsided trades, you should probably give the power back to the owners. If they want to vote to veto a trade, do so on the league's message board. Maybe make the number of votes needed to veto higher than standard.

Basically, if you're in a league with people who don't know what they're doing you need to allow vetoing IMO.
Fpower
College Coach
College Coach

Postby catch22 » Fri May 13, 2005 10:10 am

If your that concerned change the rule and allow the other owners to email you there input. Use that as a tool to make your decision. As the Comish you do have a responsability to keep the league running smoothly. DOnt be afraid to veto something you feel is unfair. Only way to keep the integrity of your league.
catch22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers