Pitcher's batting statistics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitcher's batting statistics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitcher's batting statistics

Postby ascohen11180 » Thu May 12, 2005 4:00 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I know batting stats aren't important to how good a pitcher is.

Saying that, I was curious if anyone has every been a league that does count their stats or heard of one that does?

You would figure a league like that would bump up players like Dontrelle, Livian and Hampton a few notches.

I just thought of this after noticing that Lowe now has as many steals as Carlos Beltran.
ascohen11180
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Andy1234 » Thu May 12, 2005 11:04 pm

If you counted Batting stats for Pitchers all AL pitchers would get a boost because they won't bat therefore not hurt your BA (or OBP, SLG, or OPS if you use those instead)

You almost always here the owner of the pitcher that hits a HR (steals a base, etc) saying that they should count

I've never been in a league that does, but it would add another element to stratagy of the draft

If there was no DH rule - I would be all for counting Pitcher stats
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby thedukeorsino » Thu May 12, 2005 11:45 pm

The best way to add them- or count them somehow- would have some kind of system where it expreses the value of a pitcher's offensive production in their defensive stats (era whip etc) that are counted. So, for example, some thing like: Livan gets a walk, you subtract a walk, if he gets a hit, you subtract a hit, if he gets an RBI, you subtract an earned run, if he hits a HR you subtract a HR allowed etc. (though if he hit's a homerun he should get an extra win, imho)

It's not entirely accurate, but it would be cool to count the stats somehow. It would only work in NL only leagues. It's simply not fair to do something so league specific in a mixed league.
thedukeorsino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby George_Foreman » Thu May 12, 2005 11:48 pm

i don't think it would be that hard to do. you'd just have to add in every pitcher in the database as a "hitter" as well and count up their accumulated stats. you could do the same thing (if necesary) for hitters when they pitch. (i forget who, but i think some SS threw a couple of innings last year in a blow out when their team's bullpin had been overworked).

it would be silly, but i also think it would be kind of funny to get 3 Ks from your SS and have it be a good thing. :-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Fri May 13, 2005 12:14 am

I think it would be nice to have the OPTION of using your pitchers in your Util slot... just for kicks. Who knows, I might start Hampton once in a while.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Fri May 13, 2005 12:15 am

start him in the UTIL when he pitches at coors, just make sure to bench him on the pitching side of your roster. :-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brandnew » Fri May 13, 2005 12:18 am

Yeah, like if you have Mondesi, you can start Hampton over him when he pitches. That's what the Braves should be doing, might as well have some shot of production from your Right Fielder. :-P
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers