Amazing Don Mattingly Stats! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Amazing Don Mattingly Stats!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Sat May 14, 2005 1:20 am

HOOTIE wrote:Don was a good player but will never make the HOF.

Agreed, his peak was neither long enough or high enough. During his peak he was a top player, but the injury cut his chances short.

As far as low K numbers, it looks nice, but in reality, how often you make outs, is way more important. The difference between a 50 K hitter and 150 K hitter over a season, is very small, about 2 runs created.

Very true, the biggest benefit for not striking out is the occasional extra hits it will create. Something that is accounted for in more comprehensive stats. K's by themselves really only give a glimpse into "what could have been" for the player.

TAVISH, interesting you name Cobb as your guy. I like Ruth/Bonds 1-2 as far as overall players. Hitter i go Ruth, although Bonds and Ted are close. Had Ted not lost 5 key years, he could be there. Ruth lost abs pitching, and won nearly 100 games. Hard to top Ruth.

The only reason I don't mention Bonds is because it usually means thread death. As much as I hate to do it, right now discussions are just better off not even mentioning him.

As far as Cobb goes, his stats are just as much a victim of circumstance as Ruth and Williams. Even playing in an era with a great disdain of hitting HRs (the number of HRs hit during the Deadball era is as much to blame on the mindset of the players as it was the ball/field conditions) he posted one an extremely high SLG%. The .366 career BA is perhaps as safe as any major offensive record in the game and even with the difference in era he is the career leader in Offensive Win Shares.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Sat May 14, 2005 1:27 am

Tavish wrote:

Agreed, his peak was neither long enough or high enough. During his peak he was a top player, but the injury cut his chances short.

Well guess I'll have to limit that bet $100 Hootie. Crap it sucks when you know your belief in a player was patially flawed but, if I had to choose I'd still say Donnie baseball gets in.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Sat May 14, 2005 1:38 am

nuggets wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Well guess I'll have to limit that bet $100 Hootie. Crap it sucks when you know your belief in a player was patially flawed but, if I had to choose I'd still say Donnie baseball gets in.

He will definitely have a shot at it in either 06, 08 or 2010. There are no real surefire HoF guys that become eligible in those years so chances are that at least one of the currently eligible players who are not "legendary" players will get in. A guy like Mattingly, Santo, Jack Morris, or Dale Murphy will probably get a nod in there somewhere.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby nuggets » Sat May 14, 2005 2:02 am

Ron Santo has been deserving the nod from the Hall for a long time. Yes, I am a biased Cubs fan.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat May 14, 2005 2:15 pm

I agree Mattingly probably isn't fully deserved of the HoF but as my favorite player all-time, I still hope he gets in.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Strasil42 » Sat May 14, 2005 2:57 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Rowand wrote:i got an amazing stat he never won anything in his life

All-Star

Awards
1985-AL-MVP