100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Amazing Don Mattingly Stats!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nuggets » Thu May 12, 2005 6:42 pm

Tavish wrote:
nuggets wrote:
Tavish wrote:
I hate to break the man's one wish in life, but no. Certainly one of the greatest though.

Well shoot, I thought that's what your answer would be. Doesn't that make things difficult now? So who is the man. I'll take Bonds on roids.

I would take Bonds if it didn't mean we would have to deal with 5 pages of uninteresting flames. So instead I'll just pass.

I knew it! You are such a tease Tavish. Come on, have some cajones! ;-) Who, other than a steroid suspect, do you think career wise is the greatest pure hitter ever?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Thu May 12, 2005 6:46 pm

DannyMyron89- just talking about greatest pure hitter for a career.

DannyMyron89 wrote: i know he didnt see 97 mph heaters

we can't really prove that now can we?

Poo on Ruth he was the original bat corking cheater.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu May 12, 2005 6:56 pm

DannyMyron89 wrote:Also ruth hit more homeruns then TEAMS, and has to be the greatest player of all time because he was a dominant hall of fame bound pitcher too.

He played in a league with teams full of Juan Pierre-archtype hitters. As the teams pursued power hitters Ruth was still the best of the bunch but no where near as dominant.

also you guys are talking about guys who didnt strike out look at Cobb. i know he didnt see 97 mph heaters but he went FOUR YEARS in a row with 550 plus at bats without striking out, and NEVER grounded into a Double PLay.

my Ty Cobb stat of the day..

Not sure where you heard that, but your Cobb stat of the day is completely false. Cobb never had a single season over 550 AB without a K.

also Ruth has the career slugging percent title of all time, its way over 600, if you do that for one season you are a top player, his career average was way over that, [snip] and not too mention he has 7 rings with New York and Boston...

So if ur gonna say Ted Williams or Bonds is the greatest player ever lets see them dominate on the mound...

Orginally the question was who was the greatest hitter, and Ruth certainly was a great hitter as was Williams. If you want to talk about the greatest player, there is no player I would put above Cobb.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby nuggets » Thu May 12, 2005 7:01 pm

Tavish wrote:
also you guys are talking about guys who didnt strike out look at Cobb. i know he didnt see 97 mph heaters but he went FOUR YEARS in a row with 550 plus at bats without striking out, and NEVER grounded into a Double PLay.

my Ty Cobb stat of the day..

Not sure where you heard that, but your Cobb stat of the day is completely false. Cobb never had a single season over 550 AB without a K.

LMAO, thought that sounded funny. Tavish, if fantasy baseball were an organization you definitly would desreved to get paid to regulate. Thanks
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Thu May 12, 2005 7:04 pm

Assuming that K weren't recorded until 1913, I think he misinterpreted this:

(Cobb's career stats)

nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby perlick29 » Thu May 12, 2005 7:40 pm

acsguitar wrote:Good to see mattingly fans out here!

You gotta admit Mattingly's '85 season was one of the best ever

35 hr's 145 Rbi's 41 k's 48 Doubles .324 average!

But his 86 season was almost as great if not better!

31 hr's 113 Rbi's 35 k's .352 BA! 53 Doubles!

He was sick...Remeber when he hit hr's in 7 straight games...Who else did that griffey right?

Remember the day after his 7th straight when he hit another one to make it 8 straight? That was the record, and an awesome one at that. Griffey tied it as well, and the BamTino currently has 5 days in a row.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DannyMyron89 » Thu May 12, 2005 8:06 pm

oo they didnt record strikeouts until the year 1913, that would explain it... sorry dudes haha

anyway i still stand as Babe Ruth being the greatest player ever, and hitter too...

and corked bat?
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Thu May 12, 2005 8:49 pm

You can't argue greatest hitter or pitcher in baseball history, because the game is 180 degrees from where it started out. It's almost like trying to compare players from different sports.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby colt4523 » Thu May 12, 2005 9:02 pm

Mattingly is the man! I knew a couple of people on this board had great taste ;-D
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby Tavish » Thu May 12, 2005 9:40 pm

ocmusicjunkie wrote:You can't argue greatest hitter or pitcher in baseball history, because the game is 180 degrees from where it started out.

Sure you can argue it, you just can't definitively prove anything. Baseball's tradition is built on comparing players/teams from different eras.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers