Amazing Don Mattingly Stats! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Amazing Don Mattingly Stats!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Thu May 12, 2005 5:31 pm

Two words: Joe Sewell.

Two more words: Ted Kluzlewski.

Also, guys K much more now then they ever have before (or at least for a long time, anyway). You have to put it in context. Mattingly's raw numbers may look better, but if you put both hitters in the same context it may be less dramatic.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 12, 2005 5:49 pm

DK wrote:Two words: Joe Sewell.

Two more words: Ted Kluzlewski.

Also, guys K much more now then they ever have before (or at least for a long time, anyway). You have to put it in context. Mattingly's raw numbers may look better, but if you put both hitters in the same context it may be less dramatic.

Its still incredible...
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Tavish » Thu May 12, 2005 5:57 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:Tell you what. If I have a man on second base, two outs, and somebody is pointing a gun at my head and saying the trigger is going to be pulled if the run does not get home, who do you want at the plate?

Dimaggio
Mattingly
Sosa
McGwire

You can take your stats and go with Sosa or McGwire since they have the higher OPS. I'll take my chances with Mattingly or Dimaggio and I guarantee your grave will be dug more often than mine.

Your argument is why stats are overrated. Dimaggio was a far superior player to either Sosa or McGwire, as was Mattingly before his back went out.

You are saying exactly the same thing as those who love OPS. Dimaggio is one of the best OPS players in the history of the game. Mattingly in his prime was the best OPS player in the league. If you want Mattingly at his peak over Sosa or McGwire at their peak I guess thats your perrogative. If you still want Mattingly if the runner was at first or there was nobody on (situations that are even more likely to come up), then you are fooling yourself.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby nuggets » Thu May 12, 2005 6:03 pm

Ted Williams name hasn't been mentioned here?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu May 12, 2005 6:11 pm

nuggets wrote:Ted Williams name hasn't been mentioned here?

He never even once cracked the top ten in the AL for AB/K in his career. As DK mentioned, you have to put much of it into context. A guy who struck out 1 in 20 AB when the league averages 1 in 10 looks very good. A guy like Juan Pierre who K's 1 in 20 AB when the league averages 1 in 5 looks even better.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby nuggets » Thu May 12, 2005 6:14 pm

Tavish wrote:

He never even once cracked the top ten in the AL for AB/K in his career. As DK mentioned, you have to put much of it into context. A guy who struck out 1 in 20 AB when the league averages 1 in 10 looks very good. A guy like Juan Pierre who K's 1 in 20 AB when the league averages 1 in 5 looks even better.

Do you consider him to be the greatest hitter of all time?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu May 12, 2005 6:17 pm

nuggets wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Do you consider him to be the greatest hitter of all time?

I hate to break the man's one wish in life, but no. Certainly one of the greatest though.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby nuggets » Thu May 12, 2005 6:21 pm

Tavish wrote:
I hate to break the man's one wish in life, but no. Certainly one of the greatest though.

Well shoot, I thought that's what your answer would be. Doesn't that make things difficult now? So who is the man. I'll take Bonds on roids.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Thu May 12, 2005 6:33 pm

nuggets wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Well shoot, I thought that's what your answer would be. Doesn't that make things difficult now? So who is the man. I'll take Bonds on roids.

I would take Bonds if it didn't mean we would have to deal with 5 pages of uninteresting flames. So instead I'll just pass.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby DannyMyron89 » Thu May 12, 2005 6:35 pm

the "man" is Ruth...

it would have been bonds if he didnt take steroids and put up those numbers from 2001-2004.

Also ruth hit more homeruns then TEAMS, and has to be the greatest player of all time because he was a dominant hall of fame bound pitcher too.

also you guys are talking about guys who didnt strike out look at Cobb. i know he didnt see 97 mph heaters but he went FOUR YEARS in a row with 550 plus at bats without striking out, and NEVER grounded into a Double PLay.

my Ty Cobb stat of the day..

also Ruth has the career slugging percent title of all time, its way over 600, if you do that for one season you are a top player, his career average was way over that, and he didnt juice, and not too mention he has 7 rings with New York and Boston...

So if ur gonna say Ted Williams or Bonds is the greatest player ever lets see them dominate on the mound...
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers