Mariners talking "shake up." - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariners talking "shake up."

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu May 12, 2005 1:19 pm

Yoda wrote:I could be totally wrong.

Isn't that the risk we all take when talking about these things? :-b

Yoda wrote:He hasn't shown the same control at AAA this season so chances are good that he isn't.

That's part of the reason I stand where I do. I'm confident that he will get it back, he's too good not to, it's just that I think if you're going to bring him up in that state (control/confidence issues) he needs to be coming into an environment more conducive to success -- not a struggling team looking for an answer. Then again, I think teams should "baby" prospects more than most people, so that could be a big part of it. :-D

Yoda wrote:But I still think it would be a huge boost if he can come in and give them a chance to win every time he is on the mound.

Again, I'm not sure that he's really ready to do that right now. After the AS break? Who knows. But right now I'd sure hate to have my hopes resting on the shoulders of a great, but yet unproven at the top levels, prospect. Again, that's just me. And as for the money, I agree, I'm probably making too much of a big deal out of that as well, but it's still an issue with most teams not named the Yankees or Red Sox.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu May 12, 2005 1:55 pm

bselig wrote:The free agent argument always holds water. One more cheap year is one more year to use those resources (which, in this player's case, may be a rather large amount of resources) to improve the team in other ways. However, if he can put them over the top (Escobar injury, shaky Texas staff) bringing him up is a legit move.

Trust me. If they don't recall him soon, it is b/c he isn't ready. Not b/c they want to save money 6 years down the road. They are not MIN or OAK.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu May 12, 2005 2:09 pm

I think you can count the number of 18 year old kids who have pitched decently in the majors at 0. There is no reason whatsoever to pull this kid up to the majors right now. He has control problems, and major league hitters are not Class A hitters. There is no reason to take the risk of screwing him by bringing him up. Especially if you are doing so with the intent on his becoming the person the pennant hinges on. You're almost guaranteeing failure on his end.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu May 12, 2005 2:15 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:I think you can count the number of 18 year old kids who have pitched decently in the majors at 0. There is no reason whatsoever to pull this kid up to the majors right now. He has control problems, and major league hitters are not Class A hitters. There is no reason to take the risk of screwing him by bringing him up. Especially if you are doing so with the intent on his becoming the person the pennant hinges on. You're almost guaranteeing failure on his end.

Not necessarily. He is doing fine at AAA (not A), in a hitter's environment. He doesn't have control problems. Doesn't matter what other 18 year olds have done since he is 19. :-D

The age thing is overrated since regardless of his age, he will get to pitch in the bigs sooner than later. He is that good. I agree that they should let him pitch for at least another couple of months. I personally think he will be better than most people think and he can make an immediate impact. Time will tell. We'll see soon enough.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu May 12, 2005 2:33 pm

A walk every two innings in triple A and every 2-3 in A ball is not exactly pin point control. And yes, the age is a factor. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from bringing him up at this point. The risks far outweigh the potential rewards.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu May 12, 2005 2:52 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:A walk every two innings in triple A and every 2-3 in A ball is not exactly pin point control. And yes, the age is a factor. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from bringing him up at this point. The risks far outweigh the potential rewards.

In your opinion.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Thu May 12, 2005 5:27 pm

Well I'm one of the biggest Felix's fans there is, but I'd keep him down for a little more. How long? Who knows maybe only 2 starts if he improves that quickly.

The fact of the matter is, Felix is pitching great in AAA in a very hitter friendly league. But, he is having control problems that are stemming from a mechanical issue. At times he will be fine, but then he falls back into it again during a game. The flaw he needs to fix is his head movement, in which he tends to pull off to quickly and that screws up his control.

Will it just magically go away in a few weeks? Of course not, but the sooner he can learn to manage it and correct it, during in game situations ... is the time I call him up. That could be two weeks or two months, it's really up to Felix to decide.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby perlick29 » Thu May 12, 2005 7:31 pm

Yoda wrote:
SouthBronxBombers wrote:I think you can count the number of 18 year old kids who have pitched decently in the majors at 0. There is no reason whatsoever to pull this kid up to the majors right now. He has control problems, and major league hitters are not Class A hitters. There is no reason to take the risk of screwing him by bringing him up. Especially if you are doing so with the intent on his becoming the person the pennant hinges on. You're almost guaranteeing failure on his end.

Not necessarily. He is doing fine at AAA (not A), in a hitter's environment. He doesn't have control problems. Doesn't matter what other 18 year olds have done since he is 19. :-D

The age thing is overrated since regardless of his age, he will get to pitch in the bigs sooner than later. He is that good. I agree that they should let him pitch for at least another couple of months. I personally think he will be better than most people think and he can make an immediate impact. Time will tell. We'll see soon enough.

We'll certainly see soon enough if he's ready but I mus say right now he isn't. You have to perfect your craft and well he's looked like the king at times as we know he would, he's no jaw dropping to the point where there should be no stopping him. Also, I believe he'd be very capable of pitching well in the majors but why? They might ride him too hard if they are in contention near the end, and end up getting him hurt which no one would want to see. Let him rock AAA in a comfortable environment for this year, and then let the where to draft King Felix debates begin next year. ;-D
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Thu May 12, 2005 7:49 pm

Anyone that picked the M's to win the West were kidding themselves. They signed two big name free agents who both have a very good chance of underperforming, and everyone thinks they can turn it around. Wha....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby hybrid » Thu May 12, 2005 10:27 pm

Well when I said it depends on how fast he would improve, I guess it was sooner rather then later. Felix was just dominating tonight: 7IP 2H 0ER 1BB 8K.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers