Mariners talking "shake up." - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariners talking "shake up."

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mariners talking "shake up."

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu May 12, 2005 12:02 pm

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/mariners/story/4858253p-4459394c.html

The MAriners biggest woes are on the mound. I think it's time for Felix but cooler heads may prevail. Who cares about how this will affect his FA status, at least they have him for 5 and a half years at least.

He is 4-2 at Tacoma with a 2.75 ERA. In 36 IP he has 31 Ks and 19 BBs (ugh).

It will be hard to not call him up.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby yellowdog » Thu May 12, 2005 12:22 pm

Bring on The King! I'm ready to use that top waiver pick. ;-D
"It's like a full-body dry-heave set to music"
yellowdog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu May 12, 2005 12:23 pm

Just to play devil's advocate, if you don't feel you have a shot of winning it, and Felix is not going to give them that shot, why bring him up? He is not going to make more people come out to the games, he is not going to make them a winning team, so why cut yourself off from having him at a reasonable cost later on when you may have a shot to win? IF you are going to go all out with a youth movement, sure, but one pitcher is not going to do anything for them.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu May 12, 2005 12:46 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:Just to play devil's advocate, if you don't feel you have a shot of winning it, and Felix is not going to give them that shot, why bring him up? He is not going to make more people come out to the games, he is not going to make them a winning team, so why cut yourself off from having him at a reasonable cost later on when you may have a shot to win? IF you are going to go all out with a youth movement, sure, but one pitcher is not going to do anything for them.

I completely disagree. M's are built to win now and tehy spent a ton of money in the off-season to make them competitive.

If they have an ace in the hole, why not use him? If he comes up and pitches well, that could be the boost they needed to get back to winning.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu May 12, 2005 12:46 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:Just to play devil's advocate, if you don't feel you have a shot of winning it, and Felix is not going to give them that shot, why bring him up? He is not going to make more people come out to the games, he is not going to make them a winning team, so why cut yourself off from having him at a reasonable cost later on when you may have a shot to win? IF you are going to go all out with a youth movement, sure, but one pitcher is not going to do anything for them.

Exactly. ;-D Whatever initial spike in attendance there may be from calling him up (though it will be extremely short-lived) now would be more than outweighed by starting his FA clock to play on an awful team.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu May 12, 2005 12:48 pm

Yoda wrote:If they have an ace in the hole, why not use him? If he comes up and pitches well, that could be the boost they needed to get back to winning.

True, but what are the odds of him coming up and having an immediate impact? There is no question he's got the goods, but all young pitchers struggle, and I don't think they're one call up away from turning it around, but that's just me.
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Thu May 12, 2005 12:50 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Yoda wrote:If they have an ace in the hole, why not use him? If he comes up and pitches well, that could be the boost they needed to get back to winning.

True, but what are the odds of him coming up and having an immediate impact? There is no question he's got the goods, but all young pitchers struggle, and I don't think they're one call up away from turning it around, but that's just me.

Not all my friend. There are special players and Felix certainly has shown that he can pitch. Whether he can make an immeidate impact or not, we shall see. But if their problems lie in the rotation, they have nothing to lose by bringing him up and seeing what he can do.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu May 12, 2005 1:00 pm

Yoda wrote:Not all my friend. There are special players and Felix certainly has shown that he can pitch. Whether he can make an immeidate impact or not, we shall see. But if their problems lie in the rotation, they have nothing to lose by bringing him up and seeing what he can do.

I suppose you're right. But it's not like the offense is really producing either. I think their problems are deeper than just a need to shake up the rotation, and considering how cheap they apparently are, why do they want to start arguably the best young pither in the game's FA clock for a team that he alone really can't turn around. Again, I'm not arguing that he won't have an impact (although I think he will take his lumps early in the AL West), just that he's not the "missing piece" they're looking for right now I guess. Don't know if that makes any sense. :-o
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Thu May 12, 2005 1:07 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Yoda wrote:Not all my friend. There are special players and Felix certainly has shown that he can pitch. Whether he can make an immeidate impact or not, we shall see. But if their problems lie in the rotation, they have nothing to lose by bringing him up and seeing what he can do.

I suppose you're right. But it's not like the offense is really producing either. I think their problems are deeper than just a need to shake up the rotation, and considering how cheap they apparently are, why do they want to start arguably the best young pither in the game's FA clock for a team that he alone really can't turn around. Again, I'm not arguing that he won't have an impact (although I think he will take his lumps early in the AL West), just that he's not the "missing piece" they're looking for right now I guess. Don't know if that makes any sense. :-o

I could be totally wrong. Felix may not be ready yet. However, the FA argument doesn't hold water since the M's have plenty money to spend. I doubt they will care when Felix becomes a FA especially the GM.

The thing that will hold him down is whether they think he is ready for the bigs or not. He hasn't shown the same control at AAA this season so chances are good that he isn't. But I still think it would be a huge boost if he can come in and give them a chance to win every time he is on the mound.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bselig » Thu May 12, 2005 1:11 pm

The free agent argument always holds water. One more cheap year is one more year to use those resources (which, in this player's case, may be a rather large amount of resources) to improve the team in other ways. However, if he can put them over the top (Escobar injury, shaky Texas staff) bringing him up is a legit move.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers