Foulke blows it again.... anyone else REALLY worried ?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Foulke blows it again.... anyone else REALLY worried ??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby agchris02 » Wed May 11, 2005 5:10 pm

HE HAS 2 BLOWN SAVES ON THE YEAR, dont worry, it happens
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Carey Saders » Wed May 11, 2005 5:11 pm

d18Mike wrote:
He's one of the top 5 closers in the game ...

Really? Ask the Orioles, Yankees, Angels, Astros, Dodgers, Twins and a handful of other clubs ... right now if they would trade their closer for Foulke straight up.

As a closer, you are only as good as your last 3-5 performances.
It's not a role that tolerates long "slumps."

His past track record may buy him a little more time than the average Joe, but if he continues at this rate for 1-2 weeks, I'd say his job is in jeoparady. Even if its a temporary removal from the role.

Ludicrous.
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thomasps3 » Wed May 11, 2005 5:15 pm

Living here in Boston, I am privy to some interviews that maybe some others haven't had access to. On an interview on WEEI, Francona basically said he was glad Foulke was in the middle year of a three year deal, because it was nonsensical to have people talk about him not being the closer.

Case Closed - Look at Terry's faith in that bum Kevin Millar, and how is still hitting in the 5 hole. You've got to think he has at least as much faith in Foulke as he does in Millar.....just to put it in perspective for ya.....
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed May 11, 2005 5:15 pm

d18Mike wrote:

Really? Ask the Orioles, Yankees, Angels, Astros, Dodgers, Twins and a handful of other clubs ... right now if they would trade their closer for Foulke straight up.

His past track record may buy him a little more time than the average Joe, but if he continues at this rate for 1-2 weeks, I'd say his job is in jeoparady. Even if its a temporary removal from the role.

Look at Foulke's past years and tell me he's not one of the top closers in the game. There are only a handful of pitchers I'd take over him right now. Pitchers struggle......especially closers. But, more likely that not, at the end of the year, he'll end up with the same numbers he has. He's not overpowering, so it's not that he's losing speed. He doesn't have wicked breaking balls, so that's not the reason. He just is simply not locating his pitches. That will come back to him. He was perfect for the first two outs. If one of those gappers doesn't fall in, then we're not having this discussion.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bselig » Wed May 11, 2005 5:24 pm

Foulke isn't getting removed, but the comment about him being a top 5 closer is an absolute joke - made me spit up a little of this butterscotch pudding when i first read it
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zhutou » Wed May 11, 2005 5:27 pm

d18Mike wrote:

don't be foolish. foulke IS a top 5 closer, and that won't change anytime soon.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed May 11, 2005 5:36 pm

bselig wrote:Foulke isn't getting removed, but the comment about him being a top 5 closer is an absolute joke - made me spit up a little of this butterscotch pudding when i first read it

Who would go ahead of him?

I see:
Mo
Lidge
Gagne (when healthy)
Nathan (maybe)
Wagner (maybe)

I can't see putting B.J. Ryan or F. Rodriguez in that category yet, b/c they've been good closers for what? A month?
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Iconoclastic » Wed May 11, 2005 5:46 pm

I heard some commentator remark that closers on teams that go deep into the postseason could underperform next season because their arm gets overworked. So far the 4 CS closers include Mariano (bad), Foulke (bad), Isringhausen (injured), and Lidge (good).

Maybe there's something to that.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rich101682 » Wed May 11, 2005 5:50 pm

bselig wrote:Foulke isn't getting removed, but the comment about him being a top 5 closer is an absolute joke - made me spit up a little of this butterscotch pudding when i first read it

It seems like EVERY time you comment on this board, you're spitting something that you're eating/drinking up. How's the monitor looking?

:-D :-D :-D
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby Strasil42 » Wed May 11, 2005 6:19 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:

Who would go ahead of him?

I see:
Mo
Lidge
Gagne (when healthy)
Nathan (maybe)
Wagner (maybe)

I can't see putting B.J. Ryan or F. Rodriguez in that category yet, b/c they've been good closers for what? A month?

krod is better than foulke. Foulke isnt a top 5 closer.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers