Why would Boone bench Kearns? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why would Boone bench Kearns?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why would Boone bench Kearns?

Postby jdh » Thu May 22, 2003 7:51 pm

Kearns has had 7 RBIs in the last two days. Why would Bob Boone think giving him a day off while he is on fire a good idea? Is he trying to get fired?
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sinicalypse » Thu May 22, 2003 8:04 pm

he has been posessed by the ghost of don baylor. fear for the reds, as this means that jose guillen might be allowed to blast salsa music at ridiculously loud levels soon.

i bring up that reference because baylor, at least in my eyes, was notorious for doing this sort of thing. matt stairs would have 2 HR and 5 RBI in a game... then a lefty starts the next day, WHOOP, there's julio zuleta... and vice versa. in '01, the cubs won in SPITE of baylor's bumbling idiocy and eventually it caught up with him as he had a team full of cold hitters as the pitching staff wore down in the later season (perhaps running the F machine, farnsworth, fassero, flash) into the ground had something to do with it.

people laughed at me when i'd call up middle of the night talkradio shows in chicago (usually somewhat anibrieated (sp) ), i got hung up on once for saying it, but the cubs won in spite of baylor. not a popular thing to say when the cubs are well above .500 early on, but by mid-02, people were calling for his head. ah, how the times change.

yeah it makes no sense about kearns, but maybe the guy twisted an ankle or something, maybe he has a flaming case of diaherrea. fantasy sites should tell you tomorrow.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby ondeckb » Thu May 22, 2003 8:40 pm

Gasp.....Guillen has 2 jacks....is Kearns gonna ride the pine now?? :-o
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdh » Thu May 22, 2003 9:18 pm

If Boone was smart, he'd bench Griffey and just use Kearns, Dunn, and Guillen in the OF. Griffey is clearly the weak link out of those four. Either that or bench Casey and put Dunn at 1B.

I really think there's no way Kearns loses his starting job considering he has 47 RBI, a .302 average and 13 homers.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Thu May 22, 2003 11:30 pm

Maybe he was thinking of me. Everytime i start a pitcher against the REDS freaking Kearns has one of his homerun parties and has atleast 4 rbi's. Not that it matters if Kearns sat or not.. cause everyone else on that team hits 20 hr's a night anyway.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ondeckb » Thu May 22, 2003 11:31 pm

Boone only thinks he's smart....I'm from KC and when he was managing here they had a BOONE-O-METER in the local paper detailing how many different lineups he used over the course of a year....it was like 130 plus. The only plus I can this of concerning Boone is that he sired my 2B, Aaron.
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukjohn » Fri May 23, 2003 12:56 am

chill out guys, Kearns was a late scratch due to stiffness in the shoulder. no biggie though, since he will be in the lineup tomorrow.

Look at what Boone has been given, and look at the results. Over .500 with ZERO pitching, and he had them in first most last season also.
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Greenrider » Fri May 23, 2003 1:17 am

ukjohn wrote:chill out guys, Kearns was a late scratch due to stiffness in the shoulder.

I guess he just wore himself out smashing those RBI doubles and homers all over the place...
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BankRoll » Fri May 23, 2003 6:58 am

ukjohn wrote:Look at what Boone has been given, and look at the results. Over .500 with ZERO pitching, and he had them in first most last season also.
Not like he has anything to do with it. If the Padres had 3 guys in the top 5 in HR in the NL (43 HR between 3 guys 47 games, that's freakin nuts) they might be 1 game over .500 too...
BankRoll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DGroundhog » Fri May 23, 2003 7:46 am

Greenrider wrote:
ukjohn wrote:chill out guys, Kearns was a late scratch due to stiffness in the shoulder.

I guess he just wore himself out smashing those RBI doubles and homers all over the place...

I read it happened in a collision at home plate. Not a big deal. Just a day off to help him heal.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers