completely unsubstantiated rumor - Bagwell - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

completely unsubstantiated rumor - Bagwell

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

completely unsubstantiated rumor - Bagwell

Postby brock middlebrook » Wed May 11, 2005 12:48 am

Rumor has him retiring due to this shoulder thing.

This is completely unsubstantiated, so take it a grain of salt, but personally, I think there's something to it. (Ialso thought Ollie Perez was going to put it back together last start too)

so FWIW
brock middlebrook
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Courtesy of RotoWorld...

Postby jaronson » Wed May 11, 2005 1:01 am

Jeff Bagwell's shoulder problem isn't getting any better, and there's even talk about him shutting it down, possibly for good. He's missed the last six games with the injury.
Doctors have said he'll need a shoulder replacement when his career is over, and while he hasn't been able to throw for some time, he can't swing a bat now either. ''I have no strength left in my shoulder,'' he said. ''My shoulder has gotten weaker year after year after year. I just can't get the bat head to the ball like I could. The pain is always there.'' After that, he went on to say he has a great family, and if he can't play anymore, he'd get over it. It may be time to push the panic button. May. 10 - 8:34 am et
Source: Houston Chronicle
jaronson
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby John Bonzo » Wed May 11, 2005 1:05 am

Retire...$15 this year, $17 next year (or $7 million buyout i believe)? Anyone ever hear dof Albert Belle?

I guess there is a possibility that he'll go on the 15 or 60 day DL, but i personally think that he will tough it out for the rest of the year.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Wed May 11, 2005 1:17 am

John Bonzo wrote:Retire...$15 this year, $17 next year (or $7 million buyout i believe)? Anyone ever hear dof Albert Belle?

I guess there is a possibility that he'll go on the 15 or 60 day DL, but i personally think that he will tough it out for the rest of the year.

I agree that he'll tough it out for the rest of this year....but I just don't think we'll see him again next year. And by "tough it out this year" I simply mean playing occasionally and not as the regular we've come to know and love. He'll be sorely missed IMO. :,-(
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby swingaway » Wed May 11, 2005 2:57 am

looks liek an end to an era this year as biggio most likely wont be resigned and bagwell is on his last leg :,-( . That is why i think the put biggio at 2nd for for astro fans to see him one last time at his most memoriable postion :,-( . Im allmost certain there was ana rticle about bagwell retireing at the end of this current contract a couple of years ago because of this shoulder problem.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers