Mr. Brightside? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Mr. Brightside?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mr. Brightside?

Postby DaQ » Tue May 10, 2005 9:39 pm

I like the song, but I don't fully understand the story of the video: http://music.channel.aol.com/artist/mai ... tid=643632
-Hit the link and click on Mr. Brightside video.

I discussed this with someone I know and we feel that the girl in hte video is "cheating" on him and he leaves her in the end. There's an older guy in a red robe who keeps tossing apples. Perhaps that just "introduces" us to the guy she's cheating with?

What do you think?
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaQ » Wed May 11, 2005 6:48 am

Anyone?
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Laean » Wed May 11, 2005 7:07 am

i got the impression that the girl and the singer like each other, but she's actually like a courtesan and the older guy is her owner - a pimp and a ho if you will. that's why there's that scene where that one greasy looking guy is dancing alone with her and jumps on top of her and stuff. it's also why she runs to the old guy and sits on his lap or something when she and the singer get to friendly in her pimp's eyes.

i saw the checkers game between the older guy and the singer as like a symbol of the power struggle between those two to try to have her, and the fact that the singer gets mad and tosses the board makes me think it shows that he just can't win.

in the end it gets too hard for the singer because tina won't leave her ike, and he leaves her with her choice.

that's my take anyway.

btw, that older guy is julia robert's brother if i'm not mistaken. he seems to be coming out in rich a-hole roles often in music videos lately. you see that new mariah carey video? hideous song. cliche theme. in fact, that music video is almost the same thing as mr briteside. he's a rich a-hole she's with for money or whatever when her heart actually belongs to someone else.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Wed May 11, 2005 8:42 am

I agree... I get the feeling that she's owned by someone else. But I have a hard time believing that she likes the singer because she never even tries to leave the other guy. If she wanted away, we'd see scenes of her being dragged back to the guy. Instead, we repeatedly see scenes of her jumping back onto his lap.

I think she's a drug addict. Apples have always stood for temptation, and the way he just gives those things out makes me believe that she's hooked on the apples. She even looks strung out.

So, to summarize, whatever is going on, the girl is obviously out of his reach. Try as he might, he will never have her, so he leaves.

On a separate note, the lead singer kind of looks like some actor. I'm thinking Matt Damon or the guy who played Robin in Batman - whatever his name is. Anyone else see any resemblence in the guy?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Laean » Wed May 11, 2005 8:59 am

that apples/drugs analysis was good, but i still think she likes him, because they go off on that balcony together, and i thought there were some other scenes where it showed that she was interested in him.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby logan » Wed May 11, 2005 9:21 am

JTWood wrote:On a separate note, the lead singer kind of looks like some actor. I'm thinking Matt Damon or the guy who played Robin in Batman - whatever his name is. Anyone else see any resemblence in the guy?

my first thought was jonny lee miller former husband of angelina jolie and of hackers fame (also one of my fav actors)

but he does resemble chris odonnell of batman fame as well.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 11, 2005 9:53 am

Laean wrote:that apples/drugs analysis was good, but i still think she likes him, because they go off on that balcony together, and i thought there were some other scenes where it showed that she was interested in him.

I wasn't clear enough. I think she likes him, but she likes her lifestyle/addiction more. So, in that sense, she doesn't really like him. Does that make any sense?

:-B
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Irish » Wed May 11, 2005 1:17 pm

logan wrote:
JTWood wrote:On a separate note, the lead singer kind of looks like some actor. I'm thinking Matt Damon or the guy who played Robin in Batman - whatever his name is. Anyone else see any resemblence in the guy?

my first thought was jonny lee miller former husband of angelina jolie and of hackers fame (also one of my fav actors)

but he does resemble chris odonnell of batman fame as well.

Chris O'Donnell??? Ehhhhhh.....maybe....

Eric Roberts is the gentleman in the video, from such classic movies as BEST OF THE BEST and In Cold Blood. What a classic man.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000616/

Julia Roberts has a younger brother i believe, but I'm pretty sure Eric is of no relation. ;-D
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby logan » Wed May 11, 2005 1:39 pm

Irish wrote:Eric Roberts is the gentleman in the video, from such classic movies as BEST OF THE BEST and In Cold Blood. What a classic man.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000616/

Julia Roberts has a younger brother i believe, but I'm pretty sure Eric is of no relation. ;-D

nope julia is his sister but i don't believe its from the same marriage and they are not the best of friends from the stories ive heard (at least in the past). but they are related by blood. click his imdb trivia and this is the first thing that pops up

Brother of Julia Roberts and Lisa Roberts Gillan
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to General Talk