Trade propsed to me, what do you guys think? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade propsed to me, what do you guys think?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade propsed to me, what do you guys think?

Postby uanap » Mon Apr 08, 2002 7:11 pm

Erstad and Rolen for Rivera, Livan Hernandez and Carlos Lee.

I dont have a backup for Rolen, but Ensberg is available. Also, I would have to drop someone off my roster to make space for the extra player. I'm in a 5x5 12 man league. Here's my team:

C Lieberthal, Mike (C-Phi) C Atl 4:05pm PT -/- - - - - -
1B Giambi, Jason (1B, DH-NYY) 1B @Tor 4:05pm PT -/- - - - - -
2B Durham, Ray (2B-CWS) 2B @Det Top 1st -/- - - - - -
3B Rolen, Scott (3B-Phi) 3B Atl 4:05pm PT -/- - - - - -
SS Rodriguez, Alex (SS-Tex) SSUtilBench - -/- - - - - -
OF Jones, Andruw (CF-Atl) OF @Phi 4:05pm PT -/- - - - - -
OF Erstad, Darin (CF-Ana) OFUtilBench Sea 7:05pm PT -/- - - - - -
OF Ward, Daryle (LF, RF-Hou) OF @Col W 8-4 -/- - - - - -
Util Martinez, Edgar (DH-Sea) UtilBench @Ana 7:05pm PT -/- - - - - -
Bench Burrell, Pat (LF-Phi)
Bench Johnson, Nick (1B-NYY)
DL Dye, JermaineDL (RF-Oak)

SP Morris, Matt (SP-StL) SPPBench - - - - - - -
SP Mulder, Mark (SP-Oak) SPPBench - - - - - - -
RP Hernandez, RobertoDL (RP-KC) RPPBenchDL - - - - - - -
RP DeJean, Mike (RP-Mil) RPPBench - - - - - - -
P Herges, Matt (RP-Mon) P @Fla 4:05pm PT - - - - - -
P Dempster, Ryan (SP-Fla) P Mon 4:05pm PT - - - - - -
P Halladay, Roy (SP-Tor) P NYY 4:05pm PT - - - - - -
Bench Lidle, Cory (SP-Oak) SPPBench - - - - - - -
Bench Leskanic, CurtisDL (RP-Mil) RPPBenchDL - - - - - - -
Bench Neugebauer, Nick (SP-

What do you think? Should I accept it?
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:04 pm

First off: great move picking up Neugebauer! If he disappoints, no harm done, but if he develops, he could be a big part of your push for the title.

Ok, that was the easy part. :-D The trade offer is trickier... Erstad and Rolen are both solid, but you won't miss them too much, especially if Ensberg performs well. And any time you can pick up Rivera (I'm assuming Mariano), it's worth seriously considering. Lee is decent, but he may not start much for your team, and Hernandez can be boom or bust. The trouble is that you'd have to drop two players, one in the trade and one to make room for Ensberg.

I don't think there's a clear answer here. Erstad is nice, but of is deep. Rivera would instantly rid you of one of your team's biggest headaches - what to do if Herges, DeJean and Leskanic don't come through for you. On the other hand, you're taking a risk with Ensberg and Hernandez, and Lee won't contribute much to your team.

I guess it comes down to these questions: will Hernandez be able to help you, and can you find a reasonable replacement for Ensberg if he disappoints? I'm not sure about Hernandez, but with any luck, you'll do all right at 3b without Rolen. It's a tough one, but I'd probably accept. First I'd see if there was any way to improve the deal a little, though.

Any other opinions? This one is tough...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 2times » Tue Apr 09, 2002 12:32 am

It's close, but i don't think i'd accept. While obviously Rivera helps you sleep at night instead of searching the internet for rumors of trades/lost jobs, I still think you have a fine staff in terms of Saves, and if you're quick about it there is always the opportunity to pick up some cheap saves as the season progresses. Al Levine, for example, is in line for any Angels saves over the next two weeks with Percival out with a strained rib cage. This kinda stuff, plus deadline trades (see MWilliams last year) always opens the door for cheap saves. In league with only 9 starting hitters you really have to get EVERYTHING you can get outta of those 9/10 guys. This trade doesn't help your hitting, and it helps your pitching in only one category (a) b/c i don't like Livan for anything but wins, and B) b/c i think you have a pretty decent staff) I'd say turn it down
2times

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby uanap » Tue Apr 09, 2002 1:05 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm leaning towards declining it. While Rivera (and yes its Mariano) would help me in saves, I knew what I was getting into when I was drafting my team.

Here's a quick story, the guy who proposed this trade to me missed our draft and his yahoo prerankings were messed up. In fact, his first round pick was Rivera and four of his first six picks were closers. Because of this I shied away from closers during the draft and put myself in a hole. Partially on purpose becasue of the fact that I knew that saves can get picked up later in the season. But, I digress.

2times is right, Lee honestly wont play for me. I'm not overally excited about Hernandez. I think I can get a breakout pitcher later who will perform better. At least thats what I am gambling on. So essentially, I get the best closer out there for Rolen and Erstad, if you look at it in a vacuum.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I can probably get maybe two closers for the same price as one Rivera will cost me. Hopefully I can get Mike Williams, (I'm such a big fan of his). Because of this I think I'm going to decline and try a cheaper route. What do you guys think?

Also, because of this guy's "great" draft, the save situation is a mess. In fact, there are two or three teams who have only one or two closers. This guy has created a minor nightmare.
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby uanap » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:41 am

Ok, I'm going to be a little selfish here. I have another trade proposal and, speak of the devil, it includes my boy Mike Williams.

Ray Durham for Williams (or God if you prefer) and Frank Menechino.

I know Frank will get more ABs with Velarde out, and I know I would have to drop someone else. But, I really dont want to drop anyone. But what do you think?
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:45 am

Although it may cost me my fan club membership, I'd turn this down. Menechino is hot right now, but his playing time will go down in three weeks or so. Durham, on the other hand, looks like he's taken a significant step up. As much as we all love Williams, I'd vote nay.

Any chance of making a deal that doesn't include Rolen with the team with the closer glut? Something like Erstad plus Herges for a solid closer might help both teams.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby uanap » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:14 pm

Good call Arlo. I like Duham a lot and I dont want to send him packing. I'm thinking of trying to unload Edgar, and if that doesnt work maybe then looking at Erstad. For some reason I just think Ersatd is going to rebound this year.

The problem with Edgar is that you can only play him at utility in our league so I need to find the right team for him.

I'm going to decline the Williams trade and try to counter.
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby 2times » Wed Apr 10, 2002 1:28 am

Edgar is SOO good. Don't undervalue him just b/c he hurts your roster flexibility a bit. I like Arlo's idea with an OF and a lesser closer for a more established one. I agree that Erstad is undervalued right now, so i'd try to trade Ward or Burrel with Herges with the idea that whichever you keep, or Dye when he gets back will do a fine job in the OF. If you don't won't to get rid of Herges and depending on whose available on the waiver wire, perhaps you could package one of your starters and an OF for a better closer...?
2times

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers