Rocket on Roids - Buy or Sell? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rocket on Roids - Buy or Sell?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby reznorsboy » Wed May 11, 2005 9:32 am

Nomar is pretty small to have used steroids ;-D
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

nomar

Postby realfan05 » Wed May 11, 2005 11:50 am

It is truly sad that we have to question about 25 years of baseball and stats. One thing I will say is that Big Mac and Barry should give Maris and his family back what belongs to Roger. The recod breakng part is what really kills me. It throws all aspects of the game of. Including the value of memoribilia - speaking of which. Anyone going to watch "Up for grabs"?
Barry Bonds and steroids are bad for our game! we should protect our legends! http://www.barrysucks.com
realfan05
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Roids

Postby Jaxx68 » Wed May 11, 2005 12:35 pm

Unfortunately, you have to look at most baseball accomplishments of the last 15- 20 years with a suspicious eye. Anyone who doesn't is kidding themselves. Baseball players, owners, the union, and Bud have no one to blame but themselves for that. :-/

I feel bad for some of the players that I always viewed as class acts, but it is what it is.

Roids have to be done away with for the sake of the kids that play ball, like my son. Kids shouldn't be forced to take them so that they can compete with the guys who do.
Jaxx68
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Records

Postby Jaxx68 » Wed May 11, 2005 12:37 pm

I feel bad about the records also. I think it's a travesty, that the most hallowed record book has been made a laughingstock.

But most important I worry about the kids.
Jaxx68
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Irish » Wed May 11, 2005 12:54 pm

Webster11 wrote:This steroid thing is crazy. Its like mccarthysim. Who will they accuse next?

It's nowhere near Mccarthyism. No one is getting hurt from this, no one is getting punished. They aren't bringing up players to rag on other players or get kicked out.

We should, in my opinion, discuss everyone. Presume no one is innocent and test them all. I'm still alittle hazy on how testing is done now, but if any person in college that plays any varsity sport(including a firned of mine who was on the equestrian team for god sakes) is tested, then we should force them also.

I don't know if Clemens juices, or anyone for that matter. But alot of players have something to hide, so let's find them so debates like this aren't necessary.
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby agchris02 » Wed May 11, 2005 1:06 pm

Irish wrote:
Webster11 wrote:This steroid thing is crazy. Its like mccarthysim. Who will they accuse next?

It's nowhere near Mccarthyism. No one is getting hurt from this, no one is getting punished. They aren't bringing up players to rag on other players or get kicked out.

We should, in my opinion, discuss everyone. Presume no one is innocent and test them all. I'm still alittle hazy on how testing is done now, but if any person in college that plays any varsity sport(including a firned of mine who was on the equestrian team for god sakes) is tested, then we should force them also.

I don't know if Clemens juices, or anyone for that matter. But alot of players have something to hide, so let's find them so debates like this aren't necessary.

I know no politics are allowed, but Im sick of seeing the term "McCarthyism" bandied about. Lets see --- he was right, he didnt release names, he was orded by a court and a senate comitte to do so - and due to the nature of the cafe Ill stop there, but feel free to send me some PM and Ill refer you to sources and books to clear up that little historical misconception.
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

McCarthyism

Postby Jaxx68 » Wed May 11, 2005 1:22 pm

Whether it's McCarthyism or not is really beside the point. agchris, you are getting off on a tangent.
Bud Selig is the worst commissioner of all time! Don Fehr is the Anti-Christ! Steroids= Fame, Fortune, Governor!
Ban the Balco Barbarian and all the rest!
Jaxx68
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Dmville » Wed May 11, 2005 1:43 pm

Why does only the last 15-20 years need to be questioned? Is there a way to prove Maris and anyboldy else who holds an old record were not on similar substances at the time, even of they weren't illegal at the time?

People talk like players of the past were perfect angels who always followed the rules. My opinion is, if you subjected them to the scrutiny that todays players are under, you might find some pretty interesting things.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Wed May 11, 2005 1:54 pm

agchris02 wrote:It makes me sick to read things like this with absolutely no sources cited. Youre tarnishing one of the greatest men in baseball and as far as I have ever seen one of the greatest competitors in any sport.

R u refering to the article I posted?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Wed May 11, 2005 1:57 pm

Dmville wrote:Why does only the last 15-20 years need to be questioned? Is there a way to prove Maris and anyboldy else who holds an old record were not on similar substances at the time, even of they weren't illegal at the time?

People talk like players of the past were perfect angels who always followed the rules. My opinion is, if you subjected them to the scrutiny that todays players are under, you might find some pretty interesting things.

You might want to find some evidence before suggesting that players in the 1950's were on similar substances to steroids. This is an example of the " 'roid scare" going to far.

Steroids/synthetic testosterone weren't used by athletes until the late 1940's. And that was primarily in Europe, specifically Russia. Steroids were not on the market until the 60's.
Last edited by nuggets on Wed May 11, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers