midseason draft strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

midseason draft strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

midseason draft strategy?

Postby jackuh » Thu May 22, 2003 4:34 pm

Draft is tomorrow afternoon. This is my first year playing fantasy baseball. What advice would you give this newbie? Thanks.
jackuh
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby YankFan51 » Thu May 22, 2003 4:44 pm

here's one if you want to be my guinea pig. Assuming the draft is 5 by 5 format, draft only for hitting(elite guys, who can steal, HR, score runs, hit for AVG, etc) and closers. Grab starting pitching with the last 4 or 5 rounds. And then what you do is drop and add pitchers every day who are starting the next day against a bad hitting team. That way your offense is so amazing from shafting your pitching in the draft, you should be able to carry the offensive categories. And if you can get 3 or 4 starters going everyday, and draft good closers, you can win the Ws, Saves, and Ks category at least.
My hair's turnin' white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue
We've always been here tryin' to sing the truth to you
Guess you could say we've always been red white and blue
"Red White and Blue," Lynyrd Skynyrd
YankFan51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BankRoll » Thu May 22, 2003 4:56 pm

Along the same lines, what you could do is get two good middle relievers, which will equate to one top tier pitcher. Food for thought. Check it out:

Combined numbers of Brad Lidge and Johan Santana (who might not even be drafted unless it's a pretty deep league):
5W 1SV 66K 2.07ERA 1.11WHIP in 61IP

Pedro Martinez
4W 0SV 62K 2.83ERA 1.03WHIP in 60.1IP

So two REALLY late round picks or waiver wire picks turns into a Pedro Martinez. Not too shabby. Gotta make sure you pick up the relievers that will have opportunities to get the wins from behind though, not just any ol' reliever.

And YankFan51's suggestion does work, but only in leagues with no innings caps and leagues that are not very deep, otherwise there will only be shit on the wire. Plus you have to basically draft the perfect hitters that are 5 tool and won't get injured. So it's not really a viable option in a real league. In our money league last year the commish designed the league with this very thought in mind (I thought nothing of it preseason). SB was not a category and we had some insane pitching categories like IP and Outs (exactly the same thing double counted). So he did exactly what YankFan51 suggested because that's exactly how he built the league. Anyways, he finished second, behind me of course ;)
Last edited by BankRoll on Thu May 22, 2003 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BankRoll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jackuh » Thu May 22, 2003 5:01 pm

thanks. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Yeah, it's a 5x5 yahoo roto league 12 team. Another question would be; what should I do about guys who are currently hurt? Like R. Johnson and Oswalt, and Sammy? Do I draft like they are not hurt or do they drop a round or so? How about a guy like A. Dunn who is Projected at 73 but is currently ranked 21. Do you draft a guy like that in the second round or do you wait until later? All the advice is appreciated.
jackuh
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BankRoll » Thu May 22, 2003 5:18 pm

Well a mid-season league doesn't start for like another month, so Sosa should be off the DL by then. As far as where to pick up injured players, look at when they are expected to come off the DL then make a projection of how they will do the rest of the way. Say RJ comes back for the second half and you expect 10W 150K 2.50ERA and 1.00WHIP or whatever, where does that rank for you? Should still be a pretty high ranking since not many other pitchers are going to do that well.

People like Dunn, Kearns, Patterson, etc. that are performing very well right now you have to take on an individual basis. Look at Dunn's second half drop last year. Would you use a second round pick and risk a similar drop this season? I wouldn't personally. I'd rather use that second round pick on someone proven. Don't let the first 8 weeks sway you too much. Draft the best guy that is available and you should be fine. Talking about drafting Dunn in the second round is kinda crazy when you see who else you could get in the second round. We're talking about proven guys like Zito, Sammy, etc. that you can take in the second round. Let the other managers buy into the hype.

Personally I just did my first ever midseason draft about a week ago. I had 9th pick overall and my first six picks were Pujols, Sosa, Ramirez, Prior, Giles, Vazquez. Sure Sosa, Ramirez, and Giles have been underperforming up to this point, but will it continue? Highly unlikely. Look at some of the picks surrounding those. Andruw Jones went right next to Manny. He's good, but is he Manny caliber? Of course not. Billy Wagner went right next to Prior. What the hell is that? I got Giles sandwiched between Luis Gonzalez and Dunn. Yeah Giles has been injured, but this season I know how he will perform in the second half and I'd take that over how Dunn could potentially perform. Moyer was taken right next to Vazquez. Etc. etc. I've ranted on long enough. Point is, you're going to have to guess where the unproven hot starters will end up come September and weigh that against what you'll get from a proven guy.
BankRoll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BankRoll » Thu May 22, 2003 5:31 pm

I dunno how much this will help you, it might give you an idea of how a players current performance increases or decreases where they would have gone preseason (ie kearns jumping 12 rounds, Millwood jumping 6 rounds, etc.). Anyways, here is the draft I did preseason for my money league (made a lot of changes since then, but this is how the draft ended up). Number on the left is the round I picked them up in preseason and the number on the right is the round they went in the midseason draft (that I just did for shits and giggles)

1. Soriano 1.
2. Helton 1.
3. Ramirez 3.
4. Mussina 2.
5. I. Rodriguez 6.
6. Bagwell 1.
7. L. Gonzalez 5.
8. Koch 8.
9. Millwood 3.
10. Benitez 8.
11. J. Hernandez 16.
12. Glavine 8.
13. Alfonzo 18.
14. Beckett 17.
15. R. Ortiz (Atl) 9.
16. Encarnacion 11.
17. Contreras 21.
18. Kearns 6.
19. DeJean 17.
20. Sheets 12.
21. Shannon Stewart 17.
BankRoll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Longshot » Thu May 22, 2003 7:20 pm

I just completed my mid-season draft. Here's what I did:

Sheffield
Nomar
Glaus
Schmidt
Green
Hudson
Blalock
Huff
Santiago
Durham
Sasaki
Burell
Isringhausen
Myers
Hairston JR
Garcia
Batista (AZ)
Politte
Reuter
Millar
Byrd

I think I Got away with some steals, such as Ray Durham, Pat Burell, Hairston JR, Freddy Garcia and Isringhausen. The trick of a mid-season draft is to be aware of players who should be heating up in a month and/or should be coming of DL stints. People in my draft didnt even think about the DL guys so I scooped them all up and they should all be healthy in a month. I'm disappointed in my pitching stadd but everyone was pitching crazy and Schmidt and Hudson were the only good pitchers left at the 4th round. One guy went Schilling, Mulder, Morris his first 3, and another guy went Zito, Prior, Unit. Needless to say, I don't plan on winning pitching..
Hank Blalock is The Truth
Longshot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Thu May 22, 2003 7:29 pm

I did mine a week ago, and here were my picks (I was stuck with the 10th pick):

1. Pujols
2. Abreu
3. Millwood
4. Kent
5. Foulke
6. Ichiro
7. Halladay
8. Colon
9. Benitez
10. Eckstein
11. Kendall
12. W. Miller
13. Olerud
14. J. Jimenez
15. S. Stewart
16. BH Kim
17. K. Wells
18. Payton
19. Alfonseca
20. R. Vazquez
21. Baldelli
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jackuh » Fri May 23, 2003 8:24 am

Thanks everybody. The lists of how your draft went will really help. Any other draft tricks I should know?
jackuh
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers