Is this unethical? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is this unethical?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue May 10, 2005 5:45 pm

i dont think it is unethical. it is something i would do at the end of the week if it looks like i am out of the running for the other categories. i wouldnt do it for the whole week though. you never know if your guys will do well or his will hit a slump.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby agchris02 » Tue May 10, 2005 5:50 pm

It doesnt sound unethical, but if youre punting that many cats, and dont have all 5 pitching cats wrapped up then you stand no chance at finishing in the top 3 of your league -- why would you adopt a strategy that would do that?
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mordraken » Tue May 10, 2005 6:01 pm

To answer rotterdam, I THINK they're slumping, or they could just be crap. I'm not sure... This is also a temporary fix (this week only as I am up against the #1 team). We also have limited moves, and I only have 3 more until the all-star break.

My batting roster is:
C: Hernandez (he's ok)
1B: Thome (terrible & DL), Overbay (picked him up last week, DTD), Bagwell (terrible, DTD)
2B: Alfonzo (picked him up 2 weeks ago)
SS: Crosby (DL), Matsui (worse than terrible)
3B: Hinske (good), Huff (slumping badly)
OF: Preston Wilson (terrible for OBP, DTD), Larry Walker (DTD), Dave Roberts (terrible)

So yes, I think Thome, Bagwell, Preston Wilson, Larry Walker and Aubrey Huff are performing way under their potential. You'll also notice that I have 2 of 11 batters on the DL, and another 4 that are day-to-day. Of the 5 that I have left, two are terrible (ranked below 500 in Yahoo) and two are slumping.

So that's why I'm persuing this avenue....
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Webster11 » Tue May 10, 2005 6:03 pm

It's ethical, but I doubt it will work. I know if I was playign against you, id look at your lineup, see what you were trying to do and adjust my lineup accordingly.
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Apex » Tue May 10, 2005 6:05 pm

OK, that makes a little more sense. To once again answer your question, no I don't think that's unethical.
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jayman » Tue May 10, 2005 10:06 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:But by punting 3 of 5 hitting cats what chance do you have to win?

If you don't even make an effort to win those aren't the other owners in your league going to get mad at you?

Yeah, this is indeed the problem. I get managers in my office all the time - blah blah, it's not like real baseball, you just don't get whatever pitcher you want when you want, blah blah blah - I do whatever puts less work on me. There's no way to stop this strategy weather you like it or not.

With that being said, I have more repect for the guy who won the championship with 20 moves all season than the guy who made 120.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue May 10, 2005 10:11 pm

Not unethical and not really all that smart. You have a better chance of lucking into a couple of wins than taking a chance on a couple of great starts and sitting on them. I would try and make a trade before looking at those types of drastic measures even if it meant selling a little low on a guy like Thome.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Mordraken » Tue May 10, 2005 11:00 pm

Tavish wrote:I would try and make a trade before looking at those types of drastic measures even if it meant selling a little low on a guy like Thome.

Know what I'm being offered for Thome? Matt Clement and Jim Thome for Todd Helton. I am also being offered trades for my pitching (like Randy Johnson for people like Andru Jones with Preston Wilson thrown in from my side).

In my league, it is EXTREMELY competitve which means when someone is down, the sharks come in, and I'm the shark bait.

Nobody will trade with me unless it is extremly lop-sided in their favour, especially since I am in the top 5 teams pretty much every year (and have been to the finals 2 of the past 4 years).
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tms298 » Tue May 10, 2005 11:17 pm

Call me crazy but I'd take Helton for Thome and Clement. Clement is incosistent and Thome isn't getting any younger and has had back problems on and off for four or five years now.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby baseball6791 » Wed May 11, 2005 1:39 am

as long as its within the rules its ethical
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter