Postby RynoDyno » Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm

"Curt, your ankle, my back, we are one"

Poor girl :-/
RynoDyno
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby West » Thu May 12, 2005 4:09 pm

Hilarious thread guys...but seriously, with this stress fracture/bone bruise showing little improvement, does anyone know what kind of timetable we can expect? I traded Buehrle for him a couple weeks ago, and I'm starting to worry that I got the short end of it.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Irish » Thu May 12, 2005 5:16 pm

West wrote:Hilarious thread guys...but seriously, with this stress fracture/bone bruise showing little improvement, does anyone know what kind of timetable we can expect? I traded Buehrle for him a couple weeks ago, and I'm starting to worry that I got the short end of it.

Stop worrying, you did. ;-D
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Wozzyck » Tue May 17, 2005 1:03 pm

This is starting to become a broken record, but here goes (from BostonDirtDogs.com) http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/2005/05/state_of_the_an.html

5.17.05 -- Curt Schilling on with WEEI's Dennis and Callahan: The ankle update Curt: “Umm, you know, umm I don’t know (little chuckle). I don’t know. I met with Dr. Theodore last week before we left and Chris Correnti and I got together and I was told that I had another week in the boot ‘till the end of the trip. It felt better last week which was an improvement. I feel almost like meaningless one because I’m not out there yet. I’m going to get examined again on Friday and the goal will be to go from there. I’m hoping that we’re near being out of it but there’s a lot of work to be done once I get out of the boot. You think about some of the basic concepts of what’s happening, what’s gonna happen going forward. I’ve had a boot on for the past couple of weeks, so my ankle isn’t getting any stronger. It was weak when I hurt it to begin with. So I’m not going back out there until it’s strong, if not stronger than it was. How we can do that, and how quickly we can do that is going to be the big question. There’s some discomfort, but nothing like there was. I’m throwing with my short boot on as best I can to keep the arm as best I can so there’s a lot less lag time between being ready next week and getting out there and pitching.”
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby West » Tue May 17, 2005 4:22 pm

It doesn't sound like he's made much improvement. From what it sounds like, he might be out of the boot next week, then a week of throwing until he get's in good enough shape to throw off the mound, another week of throwing off the mound, not to mention all that ankle work to get him mobile again. And then a rehab assignment...best case scenario is +/- month??? That's my guess. Anyone else?
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Wozzyck » Fri May 20, 2005 9:24 pm

Finally, some progress:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-redsox-schilling&prov=ap&type=lgns

Curt Schilling's protective boot was removed from his injured right ankle Friday, and Boston's team doctor said he was ``very encouraged'' by the pitcher's progress.

Dr. Thomas Gill didn't put a timetable on when Schilling might pitch again for the Red Sox but said the right-hander has stayed in good condition. He outlined a series of steps for Schilling that include wearing a brace under a normal shoe, throwing from 120 feet, throwing from a mound and pitching in a simulated game.

When asked if he was ruling out the possibility that Schilling would pitch for the Red Sox in May, Gill said, ``I'm very honestly not ruling him out for anything. ... It is a day-by-day type of thing.''

Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dkakridas » Fri May 20, 2005 9:31 pm

Is it safe to say that Schilling's ankle will not be 100% all season?

They will surely not rush him back. Schilling's real value is to be healthy for the playoffs. Wade Miller's return and effectiveness takes some of the urgency out of a fast schilling return.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Wozzyck » Sun May 22, 2005 12:33 pm

This is from the Boston Globe this morning:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/05/22/schilling_tests_ankle_without_protective_boot/

Red Sox ace Curt Schilling long-tossed on a rain-drenched Fenway outfield prior to last night's loss to the Atlanta Braves, without a protective boot he's worn on his right ankle for more than three weeks, and without the aid of a brace.

Schilling received the OK to do so from Sox team physician Thomas Gill Friday. While still walking with a slight limp, Schilling went to the outfield with trainer Chris Correnti and threw for about 15 minutes, gradually increasing the length of his throws to about 120 feet. It appeared Schilling had no problems and he walked back to the dugout at a brisk pace.
Wozzyck
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby This is the year » Sun May 22, 2005 1:10 pm

Call me crazy, but I think the old man will be back sooner rather than later. I'd say he makes at least a couple of starts by the all star break. It seems like when he was recovering in the offseason they rushed him out of the "boot" and through rehab, and we all know what happened. This time they were much more cautious, and I think the fact that he's out of the boot speaks volumes for how close he is to coming back. Get him while you can -- you heard it here first
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dkakridas » Sun May 22, 2005 1:25 pm

I agree he will be back fairly soon but my earlier point was that I doubt this will be the last episode with that ankle the rest of the way. He could easily aggravate it again and then they would just shut him down until the playoffs. Buyer beware- 39 years old + history of serious ankle injuries + overweight = breakdown. Don't give up the farm for him.
dkakridas
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers