Extensive wheeling and dealing- how do I stack up now? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Extensive wheeling and dealing- how do I stack up now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Extensive wheeling and dealing- how do I stack up now?

Postby bjm97 » Tue May 10, 2005 1:32 pm

10 team H2H non keeper league. Fairly active league (although not that informed). I have made 7 trades this year and think overall the team has improved. 25 min IP/wk.
Stats
R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, TB, Ave.
IP, W, L, CG, SHO, sv, K, ERA, WHIP

Here is my team and a few FA available
C R Hernandez
1B Hafner
2B Soriano
3B Chavez
SS M Young
OF Dunn
OF Manny
OF L Gonzalez
Util Cameron
BN B Clark
BN C Biggio

SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P
SP-Santana, Burnett, Hudson, C Zambrano, Vazquez, Loaiza
RP F Cordero, Turnbow, Ryan, Brower
DL- Benitez
DL Schilling

FA- Lawton, Sanders, Dellucci, Everett, Klesko
SP Weaver, Washburn, Wells, Cabrera
RP Tsao

Would you drop Cameron for Sanders/Everett?

Thanks in advance for your input + please leave a link so I can look at your team as well.
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dooz » Tue May 10, 2005 1:59 pm

i wouldnt drop cameron for sanders/everett. your pitching is amazing and it looks like your offense is doing well....at least has the potential to. your weaknesses seem to be speed and RP. im sure you do quite well in the power catagories. I might pick up lawton for some SB production but i would wait cameron out. he just came back off the DL and could be very important for the Mets.

Tsao is available in my league as well and I have an even worse pen than you. Tsao scares me...any news on him as the everyday closer?

as for offensive FA...Klesko is interesting. check out my thread, there is some discussion of Klesko as a FA (just picked him up)

heres min: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=125229
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby bjm97 » Wed May 11, 2005 1:01 pm

Thanks Dooz- I am probably going to sit tight with Cameron for now but Sanders is looking more and more tempting (especially after last night).

I also considered dropping Cameron and picking up a temp 3rd baseman until Chavez finds his stroke. Guys available are- Castilla, Freel (his speed would help), Hillenbrand, Crede, Cantu, heck even Aaron Boone's numbers are close to Chavez.

More opinions please.
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ActionHero » Wed May 11, 2005 2:21 pm

I think your team is very solid, and the pitching in particular is impressive. I would try to get at least one more good hitter on your team, specifically a speedster like Crawford/Pierre/Podsednik. Trade away one of your starters and get some more offense. I like the idea of picking up Freel while Chavez is searching for his stroke.
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hookem2003 » Fri May 13, 2005 1:12 pm

I agree w/ the rest - move a starter for a big bat, maybe two. When Shill gets back, I'd trade two of your starters for upgrades at the bat. The great thing for you is that you have options as to how good a player you want to get.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brycehearn » Fri May 13, 2005 9:49 pm

bjm, thanks for looking at my team.

Phenomenal pitching even before I noticed Schilling on DL.

Hitting is solid, I agree you may need more speed. You have soriano and cameron to get you speed, and w/ cameron batting in front of beltran, piazza, wright you might want to hang on to him. You need a producer at 3rd, for now, and speed. Your HR should be ok, but make sure when getting another player, LOW K's. Dunn gets more than his fair share so be careful. Chipper would be a great target to trade for as 3B until Chavez comes back, then he could be utility.

Here's a thought, and it's not for everyone. I have 21 stat categories in my league, you have 17. I don't care about saves/closers. They are only 1 of 17 categories. You will get enough in every other category from your starters so you won't need closers. If you trade your closers to someone who overvalues that person/stat, and pick up a quality OF, or Chipper, or a speed man, then you can improve your odds at winning the other 16 categories while accepting a loss in saves every week. Just my personal preference, but I'd rather take the 16 over the 1.

One last thought is sell high on Vazquez. He could be really back, and I'd like to believe he is, but if not then you'd get something for him. If he is back, well, your pitching will still be fine w/o him and you might strengthen offense in the meantime.

Good luck!
brycehearn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dooz » Fri May 13, 2005 9:59 pm

^this sounds good. i might try to move mesa (although he just blew a SV) or Dotel (also blowing SVs at every opp). ill wait til they get hot.

actually this guy is interested in Ichiro. What of Abreu for Ichiro/Mesa?
He has two pretty decent closers so hes probably not interested. might propose it.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby ActionHero » Sat May 14, 2005 1:12 am

I'm not sure about selling high on Vazquez. I personally would hold onto him. All his statistics point to him being back to pre-2004 form. His K/BB ratio ~5 and he's had bad luck with a hit ratio of .350. The Diamondbacks are much improved and I think he'll be a superb #3 and very good #2.

I'd actually trade Schilling, who probably will bring more back in a trade then Vazquez -- you're in a great position to reduce risk and still get value from a player who could struggle to get back to form. Also, your pitching is superb even without Schilling. I would wait until the hype starts to build on him though. Not sure when he's coming back, but maybe start to shop him when the Sox announce his comeback date.
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ActionHero » Sat May 14, 2005 1:17 am

Couple more thoughts -- regardless of whether you decide to trade Vazquez or Schilling, your pitching staff will still be in great shape.

Also, I'd prefer Weaver over Loaiza (even though they both lost tonight). Weaver in particular had a great game going, but they left him in one batter too long.
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gtvisa » Sat May 14, 2005 1:26 pm

You have an awesome starting pitching staff. I would try to trade away one of them and an outfielder for another stud bat.
gtvisa
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team